Does anyone else find themselves hardly playing on the PC/MAC now that they have the game on the iP

Mockingbird

Chieftain
It is just so convient to play on the iPad that even if I have the chance to play on the PC I’d almost rather play on the iPad. It is just so easy to put down and pick up and continue playing again.

I’m away from home a lot so I play a lot of games on my iPad, but I always prefer to play the game on my PC when I’m at home. The absence of all the DLC is a big factor. Vanilla is pretty good, but R&F and some of the most fun civs are missing from the iPad version.

iPad is all I got so.......I suspect late game would be better on bigger screen thyo

While Civ VI is 'playable' on an iPad the overly large controls and popups really limit the amount of screen space one can see. As I normally play on a 27" screen the playing card sized visual area feel really confining. I'm sure some people have no problem with that, I for one, enjoy a larger strategic view.

The visual map area me of the mid-90's when someone opened all the toolbars in MS Word. This left a postage stamp sized area to write within. An option to reduce the control sizes in Civ VI by 50% would be very useful on a 9.7" iPad to expand the map viewing space.

Also, am left wondering if there's a way to add mods to the game?

While Civ VI is 'playable' on an iPad the overly large controls and popups really limit the amount of screen space one can see. As I normally play on a 27" screen the playing card sized visual area feel really confining. I'm sure some people have no problem with that, I for one, enjoy a larger strategic view.

The visual map area me of the mid-90's when someone opened all the toolbars in MS Word. This left a postage stamp sized area to write within. An option to reduce the control sizes in Civ VI by 50% would be very useful on a 9.7" iPad to expand the map viewing space.

you can add mods using a pc/mac and a third party app.

If you have a Mac you can install mods on you iPad using iTunes. I’m away from home at the moment, but IIRC I used the file sharing option in iTunes. I just dragged the civ files from the iPad to my desktop, dropped the mods into the mods folder then dragged all the files back onto the iPad.

You can reduce the size of the UI elements by using a Bluetooth keyboard to type “ui scale 1” without the quotes into the debug text box. To access the debug text box hit the tilde key ~

You cannot access the debug menu with the iPad software keyboard as that keyboard is disabled in game.

ui scale 1 doesn’t “stick” so you have to type that in at the start of each session.

Reducing the size of the UI elements is the only way I play the the game on my iPad Pro as it allows me to see so much more of the map.

You can reduce the size of the UI elements the same way on a 9.7 iPad using the same method, but ui scale 1 does make those elements a bit too small to be user friendly for me on the smaller screen, ui scale 1.1 might be better on 9.7 iPad

Last edited:
Thx for the input on modding the iPad version of Civ VI. Unfortunately, I could never get sound from the app and so returned it for a refund.

Probably just as well as it might have cut into my sleep time as I played yet another turn. LOL

If you have a Mac you can install mods on you iPad using iTunes. I’m away from home at the moment, but IIRC I used the file sharing option in iTunes. I just dragged the civ files from the iPad to my desktop, dropped the mods into the mods folder then dragged all the files back onto the iPad.

You can reduce the size of the UI elements by using a Bluetooth keyboard to type “ui scale 1” without the quotes into the debug text box. To access the debug text box hit the tilde key ~

You cannot access the debug menu with the iPad software keyboard as that keyboard is disabled in game.

ui scale 1 doesn’t “stick” so you have to type that in at the start of each session.

Reducing the size of the UI elements is the only way I play the the game on my iPad Pro as it allows me to see so much more of the map.

You can reduce the size of the UI elements the same way on a 9.7 iPad using the same method, but ui scale 1 does make those elements a bit too small to be user friendly for me on the smaller screen, ui scale 1.1 might be better on 9.7 iPad

So, in order to mod the iPad version, I need to own a Mac? Would any Mac do? Like buying one of those 2008 mac minis from eBay? I didn't like Apple and then they went and discontinued the only Mac I would have bough, the upgradable friendly Mac Pro. The new Mac versions, especially the newer mac mini is so upgrade unfriendly. Anyway, would an old intel mac mini do the job?

Top Bottom