1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone else get a spy killed every single game?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Leathaface, Apr 5, 2017.

  1. Leathaface

    Leathaface Chieftain

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2012
    Messages:
    513
    Location:
    Ireland
    The chance for your Spy to be killed is pretty remote, but it happens to me all the time.
     
  2. Victoria

    Victoria Regina Supporter

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2011
    Messages:
    4,311
    Yup, sometimes it feels like the numbers are stacked against you... other times my spies do not even need sunglasses. I must admit it feels like more than the chance.. only statistics would tell the truth
     
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  3. bbbt

    bbbt Chieftain

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2013
    Messages:
    887
    Yeah, pretty frequently. And I usually kill a couple foreign spies. As Victoria says though, it seems to come in runs (a game of bad spy luck or a game if good spy luck). Given that they use the same random seed the whole game, I wonder if that has something to do with it. Or it's all in my head ;)
     
  4. blasto

    blasto Chieftain

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2010
    Messages:
    424
    Definitely. I posted this before, I have never had a successful mission unless odds are over 75%. Otherwise, even with chance of failure only around 25% they seem to get caught every time.
     
  5. Atwork

    Atwork Immortal

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2006
    Messages:
    592
    Location:
    Santa Cruz, CA.
    That's awful luck! In my experience, I'd say the percentages have more or less worked out as predicted. In my current game, my 3 level con-artist spy has pulled off maybe 8 or 9 straight successful Siphon Funds missions. On the one occasion he was detected out of those missions, he escaped by foot.

    In the course of the game (I'm close to a space victory), I'd say he's pulled off at least 25 successful missions and has only been detected 3 or so times -- each time escaping by foot -- and on one of the occasions on which he was detected, he still escaped with the loot.

    That said, my practice is to send an inexperienced spy into a city to Gain Sources. Once complete, I send in my experienced spy to conduct missions. I can't prove it helps, but perhaps it does.
     
  6. blasto

    blasto Chieftain

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2010
    Messages:
    424
    I always work the most non-threatening quests first to build up spy points to succeed but it doesn't always help. It seems that the first threatening quest is key.. if you succeed, then the spy usually gets a level and doesn't have issues after that. But if it fails the first mission it'll never finish one again no matter how many times you try.
     
  7. Victoria

    Victoria Regina Supporter

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2011
    Messages:
    4,311
    Gaining sources does not level up a spy

    Defence is safest, 2 captures will level up a spy
    Siphon funds with 2 successes will do the same and is the safest agressive
     
  8. Leathaface

    Leathaface Chieftain

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2012
    Messages:
    513
    Location:
    Ireland
    It appears if you get spotted when Siphoning Funds you don't get a promotion when you get back to the capital.
     
  9. Atwork

    Atwork Immortal

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2006
    Messages:
    592
    Location:
    Santa Cruz, CA.
    Yes, but gaining sources helps the success rate of subsequent other missions, true? So, if you send in a grunt to lay the groundwork for a veteran, then your veteran should have a better chance at success, right? I'm guessing at the mechanics here.

    But anyways, that's how I've been playing it.

    It would be interesting to know if the AI tends to place their first spy as a defender. If so, if you lose your first spy in an offensive mission while the AI simultaneously upgrades their defender, then from that point on you're going to be at a disadvantage if you go after the same target.

    I can't remember how I started with my spy -- whether I sent him straight out on an offensive mission or left him to defend the capital to try and get an upgrade, not sure.

    But, maybe the safest play is to use your first spy as a defender in the hopes that he catches someone so that he can get an offensive upgrade. And once upgraded, it's less risk to send him out for offensive missions -- especially if you lay the groundwork by gaining sources (assuming that's how it works).
     
  10. Dedrytus

    Dedrytus Chieftain

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2010
    Messages:
    174
    My spies die all the time. I do not remember successful mission. The game just hates me ;-)
     
  11. LethalLeigh

    LethalLeigh Chieftain

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2016
    Messages:
    329
    Gender:
    Male
    Yes - I get at least 2 killed every game. mainly when they are leveling up.
     
  12. Agent327

    Agent327 Observer

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2006
    Messages:
    16,046
    Location:
    In orbit
    Never. But I only do counterespionage.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2017
  13. Lanthar

    Lanthar SPQR

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2006
    Messages:
    129
    Location:
    Seattle, WA
    I don't seem to lose spies more or less often then the stated percentages allow. It all stems from the Random Number Generator and the seed used by the game. Streaks are a sign of good RNGs...but also a sign of bad ones. I've had a few cases of noticeable streaks:

    I had a long running mod for NeverwinterNights (BioWare, 2002), and my own treasure system. After awhile I (and all the players) noticed a few things dropped way too often for random chance - including full suits of platemail, intended to be a rare (but welcome) drop - selling it is a good source of gold for a low level character. I had to change what the ID pointed at, ultimately, to something less expensive. Bad RNG.

    Recently, in Galactic Civilizations 3, I got some pretty deadly random events. Every game, about 100 turns in or so. Crippled me every time as I was relearning the game. A few days later things cleared up - probably the datetime is a large part of the seed, and when the date changed enough, that streak ended.

    For awhile in Civ6, I ended up getting placed next to Arabia 3 full games in a row (Huge maps, all random opponent leaders). Poor Arabia, they never had a chance, and I didn't get a religion in any of those games.
     
    Victoria likes this.
  14. dac050

    dac050 Chieftain

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2012
    Messages:
    140
    Location:
    People's Republic of MA.
    I like to use Siphon Funds as a way to level up spies, but ever since the Spring patch, it doesn't seem like the AI is building Commercial Districts anymore. I'm playing a standard map, standard speed, King. My first spy went looking for a mission, and only two AI opponents had a commercial district, and each one of those had only one each. I had at least 6 by then.

    Has the Commercial District been deprioritized by the AI? Makes it tougher for me to level up Spies.
     
    Stringer1313 likes this.
  15. Eagle Pursuit

    Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2010
    Messages:
    9,526
    Same here. The espionage game is a bit underwhelming.
     
  16. Leathaface

    Leathaface Chieftain

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2012
    Messages:
    513
    Location:
    Ireland
    It's a lot better than in Civ V though.
     
  17. Agent327

    Agent327 Observer

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2006
    Messages:
    16,046
    Location:
    In orbit
    I don't know. In my experience so far enemy spies get caught even before I have even one myself. That wasn't what happened in Civ 5.
     
  18. TurboJ

    TurboJ Chieftain

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2014
    Messages:
    275
    Gender:
    Male
    Yep. Every game, or at least like 6 out of 7 games. Even though it shows 2% likelihood, a spy dies almost every game.
     

Share This Page