1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone else hate the constant patches and rebalances?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by intellectsucks, Jan 14, 2021 at 11:30 AM.

1. intellectsucks

intellectsucks Chieftain

This is more of a gripe with modern gaming but it definitely applies to Civ 6. I really dislike the fact that rules of the game change so often. I find Civ 6 to be a very difficult game and it drives me crazy that every few months a patch changes things (for example AI behavior or policy cards) and now I have to essentially re-learn portions of the game in order to adjust my play to those changes. Lots of people talk about balance in the game and it seems the devs are striving for some semblance of "balance" but I disagree. I think both civs and strategies should exist on a range of viability: some completely OP and imbalanced, lots that will work for most situations, some that are super fringe with limited uses. The constant chase for "balance" just frustrates me.

Earl of Pembroke likes this.
  2. J.arnold642

J.arnold642 Chieftain

I find it nullifies any high scores in the Hall of Fame, because the parameters in place when that game was completed, may no longer be in place.

3. anonxanemone

anonxanemone Chieftain

The yield inflation is unavoidable in any game with each expansion but it's way more palatable in this expansion pass. I'm planning on resetting my Hall of Fame with the final update when all the parameters are set.

4. Tech Osen

Tech Osen Emperor

I'm just annoyed that bugs introduced with those patches take months to fix.

XVeris, 679x, Equilin and 13 others like this.
  5. AntSou

AntSou Emperor

I see where you're coming from but prior to this we would have very long periods without communication from Firaxis. Frequent updates is something the community asked for.

Many of the changes are things that have long ago been identified and that the community requested to be addressed.

The scenario you describe here isn't really true.

Jeppetto, 679x, Equilin and 4 others like this.
  6. Stringer1313

Stringer1313 Emperor

I don't see the changes as trying to "balance" things but about making the game more fun, and I think they have generally been successful (which doesn't mean several things don't still frustrate me).

7. Elhoim

Elhoim Iron Tower Studio Dev

Definitely it's better than abandoning the game. PLUS I actually like game updates that change the rules, really motivates me to try a new game.

8. criZp

criZp Emperor

If anything they should update the game more often.

Karmah, Pfeffersack, Xur and 4 others like this.
  9. Duke William of Normandy

Duke William of Normandy King of England & Unofficial Welcoming Committee

Same here. More updates mean more love is poured into a game.

679x, Piranga, Karmah and 3 others like this.
  10. AntSou

AntSou Emperor

More often than once a month?

11. Kaan Boztepe

Kaan Boztepe Prince

as long as they patch things up and dont introduce new bugs , the more the merrier. I have really not seen the "balance" patches change so much that I have to learn everything or even a lot of things. Also refreshing stuff keeps it fresh. Please Firaxis keep it up

12. Duke William of Normandy

That could work, maybe. Every week after the NFP is finished, they release one patch that fixes only a few things. That way, the game becomes less buggy, the players enjoy the game more, and the developers have less stress... maybe...

Karmah and Pfeffersack like this.
  13. TreVor_ish

TreVor_ish Chieftain

Oh, I'm sure there gonna be a lot of patches after NFP - rising number of bugs need to be addressed. And I believe it will...but gonna take some time.

14. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

Why would anyone want a stagnant game?

And honestly, most people are not good enough so that the changes impact them much, or at least as much as they'd think. The skills required to win really haven't changed over the last few years.

15. criZp

criZp Emperor

There has been a handful of small changes over the course of half a year.

16. Duke William of Normandy

Yeah, after at least 5 games, you can really get the gist of the game without being too affected by the updates and patches that come afterward.

17. The Civs 6

The Civs 6 Prince

Like when they buffed entertainment complexes to provide a majora adjacency bonus, what did you have to relearn? That EC's aren't totally useless? I feel like despite all of the movement, my approach to the game hasn't changed at all since the most recent expansion (excepting optional game modes ofc).

On a big picture meta level I think the only real change has been reducing the benefits of first contacting city states, which was clearly a balance change for the positive.

18. Time Tested

Time Tested Chieftain

Provided rule changes don't affect existing saves, I have no issue with this. I just don't want to load my game on the wrong day to learn that my strategy for that game has been rendered less effective.

19. kotpeter

kotpeter Chieftain

I'm all in for balance changes that enable new strategies and nerf OP stuff. Don't see anything wrong with that approach. And I want these updates as soon as they are ready.

Ideally, I also want these updates from Firaxis, not from modding community.

Earl of Pembroke, Pietato and Elhoim like this.
  20. LeroyChenkins

LeroyChenkins Chieftain

I’m convinced these changes are mostly so spiffing Brit can continue to churn out new content. More attention on YouTube does mean more people buy the game. *puts on tinfoil hat*