1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

[R&F] Does anyone else think that barracks function weird in civ 6?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Question, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Question

Question Chieftain

In civ 5 and earlier, barracks and similar buildings just gave 1 promotion level.

In civ 6 they give a bonus to earned XP but the catch is that it only applies to units trained after you build the building...inevitably, you end up with gimped units from previous eras which dont get the XP bonus and theres nothing you can do other than scrap them and train new units from scratch.

This seems REALLY dumb...

I was looking in the XML files and i saw that they tried to implement a "Retrain" unit operation but i dont think they managed to get it working because i dont see any retrain option at all in the game itself.

Securion likes this.
  2. OmegaDestroyer

OmegaDestroyer Chieftain

You scrap the units? That seems like a waste. Even without promotions, there are plenty of units that remain effective. Plus it doesn't take that long to promote units if they are actively engaged.

nzcamel likes this.
  3. Question

Question Chieftain

If im not engaged in a war at the moment and just have level 1 or 2 melee units sitting around, it seems better to scrap them so that you can get a 75% exp bonus with the replacement.

4. MrRadar

MrRadar Chieftain

Why scrap? Fogbust with them, explore with them, hunt distant barb camps with them, block something with them, ultimately merge them into corps or army with better promoted and barracks trained units. Or just one with another if only for getting that eureka.

magha77, dunkleosteus and nzcamel like this.
  5. Question

Question Chieftain

Thats assuming i dont have any exploring, etc, left to do and corps/armies are a long way off.

6. Karpius

Karpius Chieftain

Yeah, just scrap them gimps! Start from scratch every era so you don't miss out on that extra percentage of experience if and when the unit sees combat.

7. MrRadar

MrRadar Chieftain

Are you saying you uncovered ALL the map, all the physically accessible territory of all other AI's? I find that a bit difficult to match with 'corps/armies are a long way off'.
    Anyway, you put cogs and turns into them, so why not to let them sit around until corps/ and armies and keep your military might a bit higher, thus better deterring unwelcome invaders? It's not that faster xp accumulation is so very much vital.

nzcamel likes this.
  8. Question

Question Chieftain

I play on a custom speed setting with much longer research times (relatively speaking) to production. An era lasts for up to 80 turns for example. So I dont want some units sitting around eating maintenance for dozens of turns before i can finally merge them into corps or whatever.

Either way my point is that its just plain weird that you cant transfer the XP bonus to existing units.

9. UWHabs

UWHabs Warlord

Generally speaking, my units of earlier eras will have more base promotions, so 1 promotion and no XP bonus > 0 promotions and +50% or +75%, especially when you factor in the cost of building/buying a new unit. Extra promotions are nice, but extra units are better.

10. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

I preferred having my units start out with a promotion rather than just quicker to a promotion. I don't care much for the way they handled it in Civ VI. It's not like I can keep track of which units are going to be promoted faster, so I don't prioritize attacking with those ones.

magha77 likes this.
  11. HyJinkx

HyJinkx Chieftain

I rarely have a barrack before my first army is out and about. I like to help them cut their teeth on a few barb camps or grumpy neighbor early on though so they tend to be pretty well leveled up even with it. Of course I would love to have them all taking double attacks but it isn’t really needed as long as I don’t throw them at anything to harsh. I do enjoy the idea of training them by using them more then just getting free promotions and forces me to get them out there sooner to get this done. If I could spam an army with level one promotions then I would probably camp them around a city till they were all done before moving them as a group like I did before but this way I just tend to keep them more active as they build which gives me something more to do. So in my case the exp boost tends to work ok for me.

12. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Chieftain

I find encampment buildings to be basically useless in civ 6 and basically never make them. They give a little production but take way too long to pay themselves off considering that you want to warmongle as fast as possible.
    There are some niche exceptions, like mongolia, macedon, or if you can manage terracotta, but otherwise, I don't bother. Except sometimes lategame in science games so I can use those policies that give science or spaceship production for military academies (although seaports are better if it's a coastal city)

13. Art Morte

Art Morte Chieftain

I don't value the increased experience at all, it's the additional production why I build them.

14. Jackanape

Jackanape Chieftain

I always try to warmongle as fast as possible, so that's totally in line with my strategy...:crazyeye:

15. Tech Osen

Tech Osen Chieftain

Only thing that bothers me is that there is no easy way to see what the modifier is for a unit. Generally I just don't pay attention to it though.

Olleus likes this.
  16. nzcamel

nzcamel Nahtanoj the Magnificent

In IV it was similar to this; except you could see immediately that your unit would get it's first promotion sooner, as it didn't give you a % boost to experience, but instead gave you a fixed amount. I think it is better how it's implemented in VI.

That and my units seem to get more experience now from most engagements than they used to. Something has changed there...

17. Olleus

Olleus Warlord

I like making a corp out of 1 unit which has lots of promotions (but was probably built without encampment/barracks) and 1 brand new unit with +75% exp gain from all the buildings. The corp gets the best of both worlds.

18. Hactar

Hactar Chieftain

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    magha77, acluewithout and tedhebert like this.
  19. Question

Question Chieftain

Are you sure it works that way? Because when I tried, I got a ranged unit that only got 5 xp per attack with a 75% xp bonus. I got the impression that they took the modifiers of the highest level unit and ignored the newly trained one.

20. Tech Osen

Tech Osen Chieftain

That is really the big question.