1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone have any information on seriously modding call to power 1

Discussion in 'Other Civ-Related Games' started by Alpha90, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Alpha90

Alpha90 Chieftain

I am playing Call to power 1 on multiplayer and being a veteran of civ 4 and civ 3 i quickly realized what i like about the the game is shadowed by some fundamental flaws that i thought i could mod to correct but i am not sure about how to go around modding a game especially an older game. I know C/C++

2. Sir_Lancelot

Sir_Lancelot Emperor

Sorry I don't know anything about modding, but since I have got both Civ3 and CTP, I'm curious on what you consider to be the fundamental flaws? It's 5-7 years since I played CTP and lately I've thought about playing it again. The biggest "flaw" I ever encountered, was that it would sometimes quit to desktop, and one time I it locked up on a certain year so I was forced to quit. But maybe this is not your problem.

3. Alpha90

Alpha90 Chieftain

Well i wasnt thinking about flaws with the program itself but now that you mention it the random crashes and lockups and fatal errors would be a important thing to fix. But what i originally intended to fix were the gameplay imbalances the classic warrior defeats tank problem. I was going to improve the civs themselves slightly to make each unique. Plus i wanted to use the CTP2 or civ3 for that matter use of culture borders in CivCTP. Other minor issues ive noticed in lan multiplayer games the AI's leader image would show a female picture for a male leader and a male picture for a female leader. Small graphical errors like that just bug me but thats just a personal pet peeve graphics dont make the game gameplay makes the game

4. BureauBert

BureauBert Chieftain

The CTP2 Bureau, as its name implies, does not exactly deal with modding CTP1 -- but CTP2 basically uses the same scripting language (SLIC) and a similar database. So some of the information on this site may be helpful.

I am not sure how much improvement the CTP2 Sourcecode Project could achieve in the multiplayer field, but with all the other improvements I know about I think it's worth a try anyway.

5. Sir_Lancelot

Sir_Lancelot Emperor

It is realistic that a warrior can beat a tank. A tank is not as superior as you might think. From inside a tank it is difficult to see what's going on on the outside, someone can plant a mine on it or throw a molotov on it. A single tank without backup is very vulnerable if attacked. And even if it is the tank that is attacking, it is still vulnerable against a smart enemy.

But CTP1 has other issues that can be fixed. But anyway, why not move on to CTP2? I finally found CTP2 and bought it, I'll play it when I get a better computer. It won't run on a 8 MB video card.

6. Saul

Saul Chieftain

Alpha 90... I'm working on modding CTP1 for my own amusement at the moment. Mainly just things that can be altered in text files, but that seems to be a considerable amount.
    Say what you want to do and I'll tell you if I've discovered it on my travels.

Last time I checked stone age warriors didn't have access to explosives or distilleries :p

7. ATC1983

ATC1983 Chieftain

Oh CTP - loved this years ago. The huge armies, public works, etc. I did hate the interface though, proximity of ai cities, difficulty in keeping track of everything, and upgrading units. Oh and it always quit to desktop for no reason, leaving me furious. But still some shades of brilliance.