Does anyone know a good Diplomacy guide ?

Luven

Chieftain
Like the title says im looking for a Diplomacy guide. When does which Civ at what level of attitude tades maps, when can i ask for gifts or demand tribute.

My problem is most of the time I meet a Civ and dont really know what I would have to do to get what I want and if its worth it or not. How many technologies do i have to gift them so that they trade maps, or does it lower my standing if i make the same proposal twice, or how likely are they sneak attacking, or how much gold gives how much standing stuff like that. Any place where I can inform myself ?

You can find a fair amount of info about civ 2 at this site. (Unfortunately I can't link to specific pages.) The "Book of Diplomacy" includes info on demanding tribute.

The success of proposals depends on attitude and reputation (both in general and regarding actions against that civ, such as declaring war on them). It also seems to depend a little on the civ itself and its attitudes (I'm under the impression, for example, that "civilized" civs are more likely to trade maps at "cordial" or "receptive" attitudes than are more "aggressive" civs). Also, it is more difficult to get alliances if you have a high power rating.

When tech gifting, each gift will improve attitude; sometimes the improvement will be small, other times it can actually skip an "attitude level." You should usually get a map exchange (absent some particular offense against the civ) at an "enthusiastic" or "Worshipful" attitude. As far as I can tell, proposing the same thing multiple times doesn't hurt outright, but it may "use up" the amount of conversation you can have with them before they end negotiations.

Solo's early landing guide (search for it) has a good section on diplomacy. Also take a look at ElephantU's tips and tricks for new players.

Top Bottom