1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone know about what scenarios will be in Civilization V

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by shadowzoid, Aug 28, 2010.

1. shadowzoid

shadowzoid Chieftain

I really only enjoy RFC, so I'm wondering on its status in Civ 5 release

2. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

None . Atleast that was what Shaefer said not long ago ... something on the line of "making them is the community job"

3. Olleus

Olleus Warlord

I'll be surprised if they dont make them as DLC.

4. Arkangelus

Arkangelus Chieftain

Yup, they'll be DLC and paid for. On the one hand, at least that ensures that they'll be extremely high quality and professional, but on the other hand... mehhhhh.

5. nomooon

nomooon Chieftain

I'm sure most of the major theaters of war will be there, as in
    1. greco-persian wars/alex the great
    2. rise of rome
    3. chinese warring states
    4. roman empire & neighbors
    5. chinese han-sui period of chaos
    6. fall of rome
    8. rise of caliphates
    9. medieval world
    10. mongolian invasion
    11. rise of ottomans
    12. japanese sengoku
    13. thirty years war
    14. Louis's wars
    15. seven years war
    16. american independence war
    17. napoleonic war
    18. u.s. civil war
    19. rise of prussia/germany
    20. imperialism & wwi
    21. wwii
    22. cold war

6. Pouakai

Pouakai It belongs in a museum. Moderator

None will be included with the base game, but D2D offers the first DLC of "Two civilizations and a scenario" free, and pretty much everywhere else is offering some form of a Cradle of Civilization scenario.

7. Joecoolyo

Joecoolyo 99% Lightspeed

I don't understand why people would pay for DLC's of civilizations/scenarios when they'll be here for free.

8. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

Especially the maps in themselfes ... you only need someone posting a t0 save and you can rip a WB save out of it ( this suposing that it works like in Civ IV, something that should be true in face of the already stated by the developers ).And sooner or later someone will post the DLC civs or modded versions of them, allowing everyone to use them for free...

9. GeoModder

GeoModder Chieftain

10. SalmonSoil

SalmonSoil Chieftain

Rhye said he is considering making an RFC for civ 5, and that he wants to move his Rhye's and fall of the greek world project over to civ 5.

11. anandus

anandus Errorist

What's the definition of 'scenario'?
    Warlords-style-scenarios? Because I think the pre-order map-packs (like cradle of civilization) are just that, maps.
    (Although I could be wrong).

12. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

They seem to be a little more than maps IMHO. I would not be surprised to see them bringing some non-standart civs attached to them ... in other words, a small mod.

13. anandus

anandus Errorist

I'm quite curious.

Does anybody have any more info on this?

14. Mercade

Mercade the Counsellor

Jon Shafer himself said in various interviews that Firaxis won't make any scenarios to ship with the game. Also taking into account the descriptions of the map packs, I'm assuming that they are nothing more than pre-made maps of a certain area, probably with starting positions. In theory there could be some descs that allow you to play with a certain civ name, but I don't expect there to be any graphics or anything. They are marketed as "map pack" for a reason. You get a map and nothing more.

15. anandus

anandus Errorist

Maybe some citystates, unique to the map?

16. Mercade

Mercade the Counsellor

Speculate all you want. There's no further info known.

17. Thorburne

Thorburne Centurion

Well, if they are not going to release any scenarios and rely on the community to make them, then they really need to release more details about the game and MODDING. The more information we have NOW, the better modders can start preparing the scenarios and get them out quicker. Otherwise, we have to wait until the game comes out and modders can poor over the information to see what they can do.

Also, if scenarios are totally in the hands of the modders, then adding new Civs and such should be fairly easy. It is hard to make good scenarios using only the supplied Vanilla Civs.

18. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

Shaefer actually said that it would be possible to add downloaded modded stuff to the game from ingame, so I guess that civs will be easy to add ( barring those clunky diplo windows with full body 3D leaders ... most likely we can simply put a wallpaper instead, just like in Civ III and IV )

19. Thorburne

Thorburne Centurion

Yeah, that is my worry as far as adding Civs. Especially since meeting with the leader is supposed to be more important for diplomacy. Personally, I could have done without all of the flash and all for leader meetings... to me, it is just an excuse to say "ohh, look... prettier than CIV IV!"

In any case, being as the leaders figures are supposed to be so important (body language and all) I am hoping for a minor editor that allows you to create new leaders (kin to The Sims... and just about every other game these days). Of course, it doesn't have to be as detailed as those editors. Just enough to recolor clothes, skin textures, etc, maybe swap some clothing elements and small changes to the details, just to add a little variance. Of course, languages would have to be recycled, but maybe be able to tweak the tone and pitch for some variance. And finally, the ability to switch the backgrounds (from the default Civs, and maybe a few additional ones).

20. Dale

Dale Chieftain

Just want to point out that Civ4 vanilla shipped with a 2 fan-mods (from memory), Warlords shipped with 1 fan-mod and BtS shipped with 3 fan-mods. I wouldn't discount the possibility that Firaxis not doing any might mean that fans are making them.