1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone like playing as the Celts?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by bovinespy, Sep 29, 2006.

1. bovinespy

bovinespy Prince

Hi all. I've been trying random starts a bit recently, and every time I get Brennus, I get an overwhelming urge to restart. In Civ3, the Celts were one of my favorite civs: Rel/Agr, and fast swordsmen - what's not to like? But they seem distinctly crappy in their Civ4 incarnation. Spiritual and Charismatic, while 'OK' traits by themselves, don't seem to have a lot of synergy. But that's not the worst part - the UU and UB are HORRIBLE!:vomit: Oohh - extra Hills Defense! Pinch me - I must be dreaming!:rolleyes: I defy you to name another Civ that has a UU/UB combination that bad. Not just a combination - the UU and UB are each, by themselves, easily near the bottom of their respective categories. But to give one civ BOTH a wretched UU and a miserable UB seems patently unfair. What happened? Was someone high up at Firaxis insulted by a Welshman or bludgeoned by an Irishman or something? Why no love for the Celts, Europe's Iron Age pioneers? [end of rant]

Seriously, if anyone else enjoys being Brennus, please tell me how and why. I'm hoping that I'm missing out on some fairly obvious upside, but right now I'm just not seeing it...

2. Xanikk999

Xanikk999 History junkie

I actually love the traits.. But i cant bring myself to play them because the UB and UU suck monkey balls.

Honestly they must of been smoking some fine stuff when they gave a UB the bonus that the UU gets.

3. Tekee

Tekee Bahama Mama

I neer tried, but well I seem to spend more time on Forums then at CIv :D
    But what about the Jaguar? It'd be a decent UU if it's catch was that it needed no Iron
    An Axeman could still kill it

But the UU sems pretty bad for Kelts too, but I don't think it's out of hate for the Celts, so no need to be patriotic about them I'm sure they just need to balance the UU and the UB, but otherwise it'd be an awesome UU for hills!!!!! And You have double Movement on Hills with UB, but with things like the mali Mint the UB just dosen't keep up

4. Xanikk999

Xanikk999 History junkie

They should get two moves then it would be great!

Just like in civ3!

5. bovinespy

bovinespy Prince

Sure, the Jaguars suck - but look at that UB! Mind you, I haven't yet played a game with the Aztecs in Warlords, but it looks like that Sacrificial Altar would be a godsend for a bloodthristy tyrant.:satan: :whipped:

Even if, as others have suggested, the Hills bonus was at least for Attack as well as Defense, it would be a little better. Still crappy. Just not horribly crappy.:gripe:

6. bovinespy

bovinespy Prince

Agreed.:agree:

7. Tekee

Tekee Bahama Mama

Yup two movs is their Catch and for Jaguars no iron is their catch

8. DevilJin

DevilJin Warlord

Why you talk only about the celts. Arabia is also a very bad civ now in warlords.

9. Xanikk999

Xanikk999 History junkie

Agreed. I wish i played them while they were spi/phi. :cry:

10. bovinespy

bovinespy Prince

I haven't played them yet in Warlords. They definitely seem to have been a least a litlle bit screwed by swapping Philosophical for Protective. That UB seems like it could rule in the right situation (i.e. heavy religion/GP), though. Plus, at least their UU doesn't require either Horse or Iron - that's way better than a measly hill defense bonus, IMHO.

11. DevilJin

DevilJin Warlord

At least the gallic warrior has bonus. The special bonus of the camel archer is worse(I don't remember it anyway because it's useless). and I don't think this is significant, that you can add one priest from their UB. If you really need priest so build temples and other things.

12. Samurai 2006

Samurai 2006 Chieftain

In Civ III Celts were my favorite and in Civ IV I hate them. The worst ub and uu ever!

13. marioflag

marioflag History Addict

Celts are worst than Aztecs now their UU is best than aztec UU but their UB is just crap while Aztec UB isn't so much good but at least is useful for its purpose.Anyway you can play with every civ without no problem if you know how to use it.

14. bovinespy

bovinespy Prince

True, you can with any civ, but that's kind of besides the point...;)

So far, by my score, that's:

5 votes for 'No'
    0 votes for 'Yes'

15. karr1255

karr1255 Warlord

Exactly my thoughts. Great traits, horrible UU+UB.

16. turquoiseninja

turquoiseninja Cylon Centurion

Why does everyone hate Arabia now? The protective trait is fine, great even, and camel archers rule, they've saved me several times where I didn't have iron and/or horses. Plus they get that awesome withdrawl chance. And the Arabian Madrassa IMO is one of the BEST UBs in the entire game. It not only allows two priests in addition to the normal two scientists, but it also gives twice as much culture as a normal library. Surely that is cool?

17. Tyranausaurus

Tyranausaurus Warlord

Then why did Firaxis and Sid add those friggin Barbarians instead of Mesopotamia??????
    SICK, IF THEY DON'T INCLUDE THEM IN THE VERY NEXT EXPANSION THEN THIS SERIES IS OVER FOR ME

18. Xanikk999

Xanikk999 History junkie

You have a strange set of priorities. :lol:

19. Kartik

Kartik Warlord

I never played as the celts for the following reasons:

UU Sucks
    Starting Unit sucks
    UB Sucks
    Traits are underwhelming
    UU is ugly

20. turquoiseninja

turquoiseninja Cylon Centurion

I think their UU is amazingly cool. (Although kinda crappy. But still cool!:crazyeye: )