1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone miss horse units?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by trivus, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Moohbear

Moohbear Chieftain

Spearman: Str 7 +100% against mounted
    Horseman: Str 10 no def bonus and -33% against cities

Horse units are limited to a side role when they should be terrors on the battlefield. Large numbers of mounted soldiers were not used because they were ineffective but because they were very expensive (and prestigious). Knights are faring better than horsemen, but they're still having a tough fight against longswordmen when it should not be the case. Granted, cavalry is nearly useless against fortification, but on the open field, they should stomp swordmen/longswordmen especially with spearmen/pikemen being efficient counters.
    Rock/Paper/Scissor dictates that Horseman kills Swordman, Swordman kills Spearman and Spearman kills Horseman. This is just not the case. Mounted units are relegated in an auxiliary support role when they should be the tip of the spear (Knights especially).

2. tomplum68

tomplum68 Warlord

movement range is the main reason i'll make 1 or 2 just as a quick response team kind of thing in the event of a sneak attack or barb pop

3. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

It would probably be better if they increased their cost... and also increased thier strength (good idea for Tanks too)

4. trivus

trivus Chieftain

"What's this, then? "Romanes eunt domus"? People called Romanes, they go, the house?"
    gotta love Monty Python classics:)

5. Lance of Llanwy

Lance of Llanwy King

Actually, before heavily-armored horsemen, cavalry wasn't at all effective in prolonged engagements against quality infantry. High-quality infantry doesn't break when charged, and once the horsemen get bogged down in the formation, it doesn't matter if the infantry have swords or spears, the horsemen are doomed. They were primarily used for flanking and harassment and breaking already engaged or weakened infantry.
    Of course, professional infantry are also expensive to keep and maintain. But Civ V isn't designed to simulate differences in the professionalism of your armies.

6. Bobafett0610

Bobafett0610 Warlord

Try the oligargy trick with horse units. By this I mean pick oligargy SP, and have a horse unit fortified in each city you have (doesn't cost maintaince with ogligary). Now if that city gets attacked, keep horse fortified for +100% range bonus, then after firing with city unfortify horse and attack unit next to city, because of move after attack the horse can move back into city and get oligargy bonus again. I did this with russia as with the new patch cities can build stuff pretty fast now with the boost to buildings so moscow was building a knight in 1 turn(non golden age) before I even hit turn 130. I then sent each knight to all the cities I had and it didn't cost me a dime in maintaince. Also because of all those knights (I had 32 knights, 1 in each city as I conquored some) my military is number one and everyone was fearing me. It was pretty crazy since I had 32 knights that didn't cost me any upkeep cost. Also, to make it even better get the policy in the honor tree that gives the +1 happy for a garrison.

7. Tabarnak

Tabarnak R.I.P.

Chivalry brings the Himeji castle. If you delay Meritocracy and get a great enginner in time, you can have nice 25% boosted knights and a very efficient defensive army against foes(for large civs it's better). If you are the warmonger and want to expand more and are not Askia, forget it and go for the bottom of tech tree instead.

8. RealHuhn

RealHuhn Emperor

On some starting locations, the stable also is a very powerful building now.

Combined with a REX strategy, horsemen are good units for defense in the early game.

9. Bibor

Bibor Doomsday Machine

Maybe its time to make a horse-units based let's play video to show how to use them properly.

10. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

I've found myself making more horsemen because I really really want HBR for the stables (I'm usually a pretty non-aggressive type player). I normally have many horse resources and few iron, so I'll build a few catapults with the little bit of iron and horses with the horses. Combined with a few spears it seems to get the job done (on King anyhow).

11. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

They probably should be improved... particularly because
    1. they are a 'resource unit'
    2. it deemphasizes spears/pikes and Lancers.

Horsemen are not too bad, since they have the extra movement... but Knights and Cavalry need to be stronger than their melee counterpart (since they have a special weakness... and Cavalry are resourced v. resourceless rifles)

I'd Make Knights 20 and cost 170
    Cavalry 30 and cost 290

also Tanks 60 cost 500
    and Modern Armor 90 cost 770

12. Smote

Smote Emperor

I think Horsemen are perfect right now. They still have use for flanking, damaging, pillaging, and killing ranged units.