Does anyone want to help rig this leader? Alaric, of the Visigoths

I'm up for having a go at rigging this. Can't promise I'll get it working, but I'm happy to try. I had a quick play and it looks like your model lines up pretty much exactly with Attila which should mean the rigging isn't too difficult - see below. Do you have the updated mesh and textures, Wodhann?

Spoiler :

Attachments

• alaric_rig.jpg
    alaric_rig.jpg
    298.1 KB · Views: 876
That's great news.

I don't know what you mean by updated mesh (just to make it clear, I haven't really had time to do anything, so the opening post is pretty much still all I have), but here are the DDS used: View attachment DDS.zip
(Note: They are all temporary and work in progress - I will work on them of course)

We are going to have to change Alaric's boots by the way, I made these also as WIP and they look terrible. I can take care of that as well.

I've done a first pass at the rigging for Alaric. I used Transfer Weights to copy the rigging from Attila. I has to triangulate the meshes before export as the .br2 export process needs all faces to be triangles.

As you can see there are issues will the arms breaking through the clothing and cape, but the good news is that the animation including the complex parts (face, hands, etc) seem to be working fine. I'll see if I can rework the rigging/mesh to get the clothing and cape to appear more naturally. If it proves to difficult it might just be simpler to get rid of the cape. There are also a few little issues with the meshes - small holes etc that I can fix. Overall, he's looking pretty good considering I just used Transfer Weights to copy the rigging. I was very careful to line everything up before doing the transfer, but I'm pleasantly surprised how well the face and hands are working.

Spoiler :

For the boots, I was thinking I could just use Harold Bluetooth's boots. That way they'll have the nice fur texture. Or could just use the top of his boots.

Spoiler :

Attachments

• alaric1.jpg
    alaric1.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 897
  • alaric2.jpg
    alaric2.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 885
  • alaric3.jpg
    alaric3.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 913

I'm speechless. You're awesome.

Alright. To-do list:

• Boots. While using harald's is a good idea, I'm not sure I'm up for using fur, because it will look off with the rest of the costume, which has none. I'm thinking I will just grab Atilla's boot and modify it. I will have to send you it as .obj again though, since I only know how to work with 3dsmax.
  • We need to cover his private bits. Some pants are in order. I'm thinking just a little shorter than the tunic.
  • Textures. As I said before they need work, so I will take care of them.
  • Background. Something to do in the future. I will also take care of it.

A question: Does the belt look weird like that? Should we change it?

Anyway, thanks a lot Deliverator. Very happy to see this actually taking shape.

That upskirt though ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°).

To chuck in my two cents - think the belt looks great.

• Boots. While using harald's is a good idea, I'm not sure I'm up for using fur, because it will look off with the rest of the costume, which has none. I'm thinking I will just grab Atilla's boot and modify it. I will have to send you it as .obj again though, since I only know how to work with 3dsmax.
  • We need to cover his private bits. Some pants are in order. I'm thinking just a little shorter than the tunic.
  • Textures. As I said before they need work, so I will take care of them.
  • Background. Something to do in the future. I will also take care of it.

A question: Does the belt look weird like that? Should we change it?

Anyway, thanks a lot Deliverator. Very happy to see this actually taking shape.

I've done some more work on this and fixed a few issues. I'm trying to get everything working OK without the cape and then I can try and add it back in. I've been have problems trying to make the skirt double sided - no matter what technique I've tried I get missing triangles. I made the shirt sleeves double sided and they seem to work OK although there are a few issues.

Spoiler :

I'm attaching an OBJ export over my latest tweaks if you want to do some further modelling - adding underpants, boots or whatever. As I say if you can use triangular faces only that will make things easier.

Attachments

• alaric_v20.jpg
    alaric_v20.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 836
So I finally got around to tidying this up and releasing what I have.

Spoiler :

The background is just the Attila one but it can be reskinned. It would be good to create a more customized background for him.

You can download the test mod here.

Attachments

• alaric_f1.jpg
    alaric_f1.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 307
  • alaric_f2.jpg
    alaric_f2.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 290
  • alaric_f3.jpg
    alaric_f3.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 1,940
  • alaric_f4.jpg
    alaric_f4.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 324
Amazing work! Can't wait to see what happens from this point onwards!

You know, I sorta started wondering, why didn't he use Pachacuti's anims instead of Atilla's to deal with the upskirt issues?

You know, I sorta started wondering, why didn't he use Pachacuti's anims instead of Atilla's to deal with the upskirt issues?

The model was originally based on Atilla and reworking it to use a different Leader's skeleton and animations would be a lot of work. In any case the problem that the model wasn't modelled to block out the upskirt view so you'd still have an issue even using Pachacuti as a base.

It would good to find a 2D artist who fancies working on this to finish it off. I'm not much of a 2D artist myself.

I apologize for the silence, between not having time and forgetting about it I ended up abandoning this a bit.

First, I'm wondering what happened to the cape? I know it's hard to implement but it looks weird without it (the meshes underneath what would be the cape seem to stretch quite weirdly).

Second, I can do some 2d work yes.

PS: Great work!

I apologize for the silence, between not having time and forgetting about it I ended up abandoning this a bit.

First, I'm wondering what happened to the cape? I know it's hard to implement but it looks weird without it (the meshes underneath what would be the cape seem to stretch quite weirdly).

I think it will be quite difficult to get the cape to work given the wide range of movement of both arms in the Attila animations. I could have another go at some point, but the sleeves themselves were already quite tricky.

Second, I can do some 2d work yes.

See what you can do with the background textures. I suggest doubling the size for quality purposes. The alpha outline is controlled by the file Alaric_Background_OPAC.

Aesthetically speaking it would be best for him to have something over his shoulders. He definately looks incomplete as is.

I'll leave it up to you, maybe if the way I made it at first doesn't work it can be reshaped to something that behaves better.

Take your time by the way, I'll be doing the background meanwhile. And possibly redo some of the textures on the man himself.

Hm.. I'm having real trouble finding a source image for a throne. What I had in mind initially was like a throne covered with furs or something, but it's hard to find.

Anyone here knows an image that could fit?

Sorry to bump this, but isn't anyone capable of making a unique background for this? It would be a real shame to see such hard and high-quality work as this go to waste because the most simple part couldn't be finished.

Sorry to bump this, but isn't anyone capable of making a unique background for this? It would be a real shame to see such hard and high-quality work as this go to waste because the most simple part couldn't be finished.
I'm very slowly working on the background, I decided to do something in rendered 3d myself and it takes time (especially since I don't have many opportunities to work on it).

Top Bottom