1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Does Civ 5 still suck?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by KingYosef, Dec 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KingYosef

KingYosef Warlord

Was just wondering as it was still bad after the first few patches. Is it worth going back to yet? Or, do I need to wait till Civ 6?

2. aatami

aatami Kuruth Urfarah, kuruth!

I'd say it's radically better than it was at launch.

3. The_Quasar

The_Quasar King

It really depends on what you're looking for...

If you're looking for Civ4 with frills, then you still won't like it.

If you accept it's a completely different game, more strategic, and with 1upt, and are prepared to have an open mind about it, then you'll probably like it.

Civ5 is not like Civ4, it's a completely different game, comparing them is not usually helpful.

1upt is not the problem, it works for chess and go, and it works for Civ5 as well. As far as most of us are concerned, it is taking the Civ series forward. There are still a few problems to be solved, as you would expect with so radical a change, but, imho, they are getting there...

4. anandus

anandus Errorist

When did you still think it was still bad? Because you say 'after the first patches'?

It's still the same game, only more balanced, and some more strategic possibilities.
    But in the end it's still the same game.

So I guess you're better off going back to Civ4 :) or wait a few years for Civ6 (although there's a big chance it'll be a continuation of Civ5 and not Civ4, of course ;) )
    But your best bet is to have an open mind about it and enjoy Civ5 as it really can be a fun and interesting game :)

5. Ruler

Ruler Prince

Ist still old good Civ. I think some people just exaggerate this, Civ 4 wasnt that good game. The idea is still there and thats what counts.

6. kaltorak

kaltorak Emperor

I didn't like it at launch but I like it now. So yes, it's much better.

Doesn't mean some of the biggest things were fixed, like AIs acting like players(or at least trying and failing) instead of leaders with personalities.
    Or still needing a mod to check statistics.
    Or missing lots of gameplay elements.

But at least they fixed the balance and it's pretty fun to play. I'm playing now much more than at launch.

7. Clydelyng

Clydelyng Chieftain

For me Civ5 is a much better game then 4. The combat is more strategic and the interface is a lot more logic to me.

8. TM Moot

TM Moot King

I think you are getting "strategic" mixed up with "tactical".

1upt does increase the tactical element in civ warfare, but (imho;)) no way is civ5 more of a strategic challenge then civ4.

i saw a quote on these forums a while ago which i thought summed it up well
    tactics to win a battle, strategy to win a war but logistics to win the game:)

9. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

Moderator Action: Threads such as these don't offer much opportunity for constructive discussion. You are not going to get a definitive opinion, because there isn't one. If you would like to ask questions about specific aspects of the game, then you are more than welcome to. Or take a look around at the numerous threads detailing various aspects of the game. But the OP of this thread is not conducive to any sort of productive discourse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.