Does civ take two games to get right?

LordTC

Warlord
I'm thinking in terms of who the most influential people are on a civ project and what happens in terms of the game:

Civ I & Civ II Brian Reynolds... Civ I was a novelty and interesting in its own right but Civ II was EPIC.

Civ III & Civ IV Soren Johnson... Civ III was bad enough to drive a lot of people back to Civ II, but Civ IV is possibly the greatest game of the series.

Civ V & ? John Shafer... of I, III and V I think V is the least bad. Part of that is progress over time, but part of it may be that Civ VI is going to be awesome.

Any thoughts?

Can't see it.

Unfortunately we live in times where as things get newer they get much worse. This applies to everything.

I actually have noticed that games are trying many new things and many new ideas, so really it is everything getting more different, not so much worst. Well, the newer ideas may be worse than the old, but I am liking most of the stuff they have.

Well I loved Civ III...ergo your schema is entirely subjective. :rolleyes:

Get orf my lawn!

LOL! Perfect.

EDIT:
Also, OP,
It takes two to make a thing go right.
It takes two to make it of sight.

If that song is truly the prophecy of Civ as we all believe it is, then the answer to your question is "yes."

A couple points. I don't think Brian Reynolds worked on Civ1. Jeff Briggs was in charge of Civ3. Shafer worked on Civ4: BTS and Civ Rev before Civ5. I think it's arguable that the new features in Civ3 needed until Civ4 to perfect, so maybe Civ6 will perfect Civ5's new features, who knows.

Although I do miss nationality in Civ3. I thought that was a simple, but effective system that represented historical reality quite well. They did implement something I suggested (using culture to change the percentage population), but got rid of the heads, which I liked better.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Well, I think they achieve perfection in Civ V, there are nothing left to take away, because there are not thing left full stop. :0

Top Bottom