Does Civilization 5 have global warming game design?

Blanchflower

Prince
OK, this has been bugging me for quite a while but will Civilization 5 come with the dreaded global warming game design which was present in Civilization 4?

Anyone knows the answer to this? I just hope that the designers took this global warming design away from Civ 5!

:confused:

stealth_nsk

Deity
OK, this has been bugging me for quite a while but will Civilization 5 come with the dreaded global warming game design which was present in Civilization 4?

There are no pollution and global warming. At least in vanilla.

r_rolo1

King of myself
Given that GW was probably ( and justly, I might add ) the more badmouthed feature in Civ IV, that was not exactly a unexpected outcome.

I just fear what they will put in their place .... :/

Zhahz

PC Gamer
I'm pretty sure the "penalty" for using nukes in Civ 5 is diplomatic.

stealth_nsk

Deity
I'm pretty sure the "penalty" for using nukes in Civ 5 is diplomatic.

No. There are no diplomatic modifiers at all.
Penalty for nukes is their short range.

Ahriman

Tyrant
No. There are no diplomatic modifiers at all.
Since when?

They've said they're hiding diplomatic rating from us (which sucks, but has been discussed to death already).
They've never said there are no diplomatic modifiers, as far as I've seen.

stealth_nsk

Deity
They've said they're hiding diplomatic rating from us (which sucks, but has been discussed to death already).
They've never said there are no diplomatic modifiers, as far as I've seen.

There are no like/dislike ratings as they were in Civ 4, modifiers are very different - like considering you vulnerable, for example.

They clearly said what AI acts rationally and mimics human player. That exactly means no diplomatic penalties.

Tarkhan

King
But possibly a diplomatic "penalty" in this new system. AIs: "We have to put aside our differences and destroy him before we meet nuclear fire".

Or maybe they'd even ally with you out of fear.

r_rolo1

King of myself
There are no like/dislike ratings as they were in Civ 4, modifiers are very different - like considering you vulnerable, for example.

They clearly said what AI acts rationally and mimics human player. That exactly means no diplomatic penalties.
Sorry , but you can't possibly be right in here... because the rational action would be to cower in fear or make your own nukes. Neither acts as deterrent to them ;)

About short range... that is only a issue if they are unmovable, a thing we have enough data to consider unlikely. Just see what can be done in Civ IV with tac nukes loaded on missile cruisers/submarines ....

Ahriman

Tyrant
There are no like/dislike ratings as they were in Civ 4, modifiers are very different
They said no diplomatic modifiers for civics/social policies.

I have never seen *anything* that says that no actions you take will modify enemy diplomatic reactions to you.
If you declare war on them, or their friend, or a city state they have good relations with, that might make them less willing to trade with you, more likely to attack you, etc.
Which is the same as a diplomatic modifier.

No it doesn't.
If AIs don't become more hostile to you if you start throwing nuclear weapons around willy nilly, then the diplomacy system is broken.

PinkHammurabi

Warlord

No, there are like/dislike modifiers but they aren't as large as in Civ IV and they're not visible to the player. They still exist though.

And Nukes cause pollution/fallout.

stealth_nsk

Deity

Ahriman

Tyrant
Ok.... and what player doesn't take into account that other players are using nuclear weapons?
And where does it say that they can't take other player actions into account?

I think you're reading too much into what they're saying, and giving too much credit for "revolutionary AI design".

Every computer AI diplomacy system has number calculations going on in the background.

civ_king

Deus Caritas Est
Ok.... and what player doesn't take into account that other players are using nuclear weapons?
And where does it say that they can't take other player actions into account?

I think you're reading too much into what they're saying, and giving too much credit for "revolutionary AI design".

Every computer AI diplomacy system has number calculations going on in the background.

The human would get really pissed if they got nuked

Top Bottom