[R&F] Does everyone go through each era at the same time under R&F?

From what I understand, R&F has Ages, which are Dark, Normal, Golden, and Heroic.

It seems to me (inference/speculation) that an Age begins when you enter a new era, whether by Civic or Tech. And depending on how many Era Points you acquired (from historic moments) during the previous era/Age, the next era will be one of these types of Ages, which will last until you enter the next era.

So you might start Ancient/Normal >> Classical/Golden >> Medieval/Dark >> Renaissance/Heroic>> Industrial/Dark >> Modern/Normal... etc

As I read it, as you enter each age you are given a "target score" depending on how you do to hit that mark determines if you enter the next age as a dark, golden, etc.

I assume when you reach the first tech OR civic in a age will start the counter.

They did also say that the eras in regards to golden ages might not be the same as your current tech era. There are "other factors".

Although that would bring up a very interesting point - if you actually rushed through an era in regards to a beeline, you wouldn't accumulate very many era points, and so would almost be guaranteed a dark age. I hope that they disconnect them a little more, so that you can't game the system as much. Although that also brings up a big question - do you know your "era points" and the thresholds? ie. if I know that founding my next city will push my next era to a golden age, do I explicitly know that before researching a tech, and thus try to delay that, or is this stuff hidden from view?

They did also say that the eras in regards to golden ages might not be the same as your current tech era. There are "other factors".

Although that would bring up a very interesting point - if you actually rushed through an era in regards to a beeline, you wouldn't accumulate very many era points, and so would almost be guaranteed a dark age. I hope that they disconnect them a little more, so that you can't game the system as much. Although that also brings up a big question - do you know your "era points" and the thresholds? ie. if I know that founding my next city will push my next era to a golden age, do I explicitly know that before researching a tech, and thus try to delay that, or is this stuff hidden from view?

We haven't seen the UI yet, but there must certainly be a meter somewhere, hopefully without having to open too many menus. And I bet you can see other leaders' Ages too.

Didn't they say somewhere that, separate from the "player era" that we have now, there will be a "game era" that applies to all players? And that the golden/dark/heroic ages will be tied to game era?

It would be more fun if eras would not change at the same time for everyone. Situations like attacking someone who is in a Dark Age and then suddenly he is going heroic and is choosing combat and unit production bonuses (if they exist) seem interesting. If you new that a new era for everyone starts in 5 turns, you would probably just wait...

If it's the same for all, maybe it is a similar mechanic like with the great people? What was that - average?

It would be more fun if eras would not change at the same time for everyone. Situations like attacking someone who is in a Dark Age and then suddenly he is going heroic and is choosing combat and unit production bonuses (if they exist) seem interesting. If you new that a new era for everyone starts in 5 turns, you would probably just wait...

If it's the same for all, maybe it is a similar mechanic like with the great people? What was that - average?

I also read that each civ will be experiencing different Ages simultaneously. The Era mechanic stays the same though. So yes you can be in a Golden age and attack someone in a Dark Age. I'm not sure how these Ages
affect your military though.

Didn't they say somewhere that, separate from the "player era" that we have now, there will be a "game era" that applies to all players? And that the golden/dark/heroic ages will be tied to game era?

I believe the 'game era' you describe is in the game now, although the UI displays it very poorly. Its based on the average current era of all Civs.

I'm hoping this new system is tied to each individual Civ's progress, not having control over when you transition through eras would be really, really annoying.

I think if it would be equal to tech/civic era there would be too much room for cheese.

It's my understanding that every civ will go through those global eras together.

Great Ages
In previous Civ games, which Era you were in (Classical, Medieval, Modern, etc.) was defined by how far you progressed down the tech tree. While that will still exist on a per-civ basis, the game itself will now progress through global Eras, triggered by any civ fulfilling their start conditions. At the dawn of each new Era, every civ is evaluated on how well they did in the previous one and can qualify for a Golden Age, a Dark Age, or neither.

Font: http://www.pcgamer.com/civilization-6-rise-and-fall-expansion/
http://www.pcgamer.com/civilization-6-rise-and-fall-expansion/

We haven't seen the UI yet, but there must certainly be a meter somewhere, hopefully without having to open too many menus. And I bet you can see other leaders' Ages too.

I'm more curious about Dedications. ¿Would you be able to see other players dedications? Do you think they can have an additional role in diplomacy - as "additional" agendas?.

Maybe depending on the character of the leader, it may like civs with the same dedication (collaborative), or outright hate them (competitive). Maybe there can be some leaders that focus in dedication antagonisms (religious vs. cientific, military vs. cultural) - while for others this does has no meaning...

That's a very big world for oportunities... do you think they have tought of working about something in this area?

I could be wrong, but I thought that you kind of had two "eras" running in parallel-the normal "era" (Ancient, Classical, Medieval etc) & a "Chapter Era" that all Civilizations progress along at the same rate. If you acquire a certain number of points before the "Chapter" ends-regardless of your era-then you will enter a Golden Age. If you fail to get those points, then you will remain in a normal age, but if you fall below a lesser threshold at the end of the Chapter, then you enter a Dark Age. As such, I am of the view that you could enter a Dark Age whilst still in the midst of the Classical Age, for example. This makes a kind of sense, as The Dark Ages of Europe straddled the Late Classical to Mid Medieval Era in actual history. Whilst the Golden Age(s) of Europe hit at various times from the latter Middle Ages through to the Mid Renaissance.

There is info on this in this German article: "10 turns before the Era's end (based on how far the players are technologically advanced in average) a countdown will warn you. Afterwards the score will be calculated" (My translation) So the Ages are still tied to the Science and Civic trees. There will also be a Timeline, so you can track down your Historical Moments, making it easier plan your Age advancement.

There is info on this in this German article: "10 turns before the Era's end (based on how far the players are technologically advanced in average) a countdown will warn you. Afterwards the score will be calculated" (My translation) So the Ages are still tied to the Science and Civic trees. There will also be a Timeline, so you can track down your Historical Moments, making it easier plan your Age advancement.

Cool. My guess is that they basically are taking the current global era, and when that flips over to a new era, they start a 10 turn countdown to the next era, and then everyone flips to a golden age/dark age together. Makes sense to me.

It's my understanding that every civ will go through those global eras together.

Font: http://www.pcgamer.com/civilization-6-rise-and-fall-expansion/

This was my understanding of the changes in eras too. While the interviews suggest you can still zip through the tech/civic trees regardless of era, there will now be a "global" era mechanism that requires one of the civs to meet certain criteria to unlock the next era, which will be open to all civs, not just the one who unlocked it. If you were behind in era points before this moment, you would be in a "dark age" for the next era, while other civs who were not would be in normal/golden/heroic.

I like this mechanic, because it mirrors our reality a bit. It is odd for one player to be in the Atomic Era while another is in the Classical Era, despite having constant contact with one another for thousands of years. As it is now, it would be like if the Ancient Egyptians coexisted along side of us without ever changing, despite seeing us with all of our fancy gizmos. Global Eras would make it appear more like First World vs. Third World, so to speak.

This was my understanding of the changes in eras too. While the interviews suggest you can still zip through the tech/civic trees regardless of era, there will now be a "global" era mechanism that requires one of the civs to meet certain criteria to unlock the next era, which will be open to all civs, not just the one who unlocked it. If you were behind in era points before this moment, you would be in a "dark age" for the next era, while other civs who were not would be in normal/golden/heroic.

I like this mechanic, because it mirrors our reality a bit. It is odd for one player to be in the Atomic Era while another is in the Classical Era, despite having constant contact with one another for thousands of years. As it is now, it would be like if the Ancient Egyptians coexisted along side of us without ever changing, despite seeing us with all of our fancy gizmos. Global Eras would make it appear more like First World vs. Third World, so to speak.

I like that idea, however CIV:BE had great ideas and we know how that game ended. Hope you are correct though.

I assume game eras are tied up to the total turns set within the game, divided by a certain factor (perhaps number of players?)

This might mean that game era is different from player era (Ancient, Classical, etc etc)

Top Bottom