Does Facism cut it for the AI? Spec Facist unit

Fanny Brice

Prince
Those of you who have played a few Epic games... what is your opinion of the Facism govenment when the AI is using it?

So far for me, I am not able to definately say it is not working, but my observations have lead me to think that it weakens the AI civs significantly.

When the AI civs switch to Facism of couse they take a hit with their population, but I rarely see them recover from this... in fact, many once thriving AI 8-12 level cities are down to 1-3 and seem to stay there. The result is a tremendous lose to income and science.

In captured cities, I have witnessed the AI using its own form of genocide by building workers and settlers and disbanding them. This process itself takes away from the AI's ability to effectively manage its military unit and other needs.

I myself, have not tried Facism yet, so I have not experienced the benefits/downside directly.

Also -- just for the fact of Facist regime reputations, it seems to me that Facist governments need to be able to create some sort of special unit. Something menacing. Maybe something along the lines of the "Fanatic" unit from the CIV2 Fanatical government. Maybe instead of having to kill off the excess "foreign" population, a militia type unit could be raised which takes a population point to build in addition to some minimal amount of shields. This militia would be a low powered infantry unit.

Or... going in another direction with this special unit based on the needs of the Facist government... some sort of unit that helps in the assimilation of "foreigners." This unit would have a negative effect of creating some level of unhappiness to balance out its benefit.

I'm going to continue to observe Facism in future games. What are your thoughts in the meantime?

I'm currently experimenting with building-produced government specific units and added the Waffen-SS for Fascism. I think this doesn't fit to your idea, since this is not a low-power, but rather an elite unit.

Something that might better fit to your needs could be a 'Volkssturm'-unit.
In the last months of WW2 children and old men were given guns in order to fight the invading allied forces. Their effectiveness was very limited AFAIR. Maybe this could be implemented as some kind of infantry-unit with lower stats or less HP. The german infantry-graphics from the WW2-Extra Pack could be used for this unit (or for my Waffen-SS :evil: ).

Just an idea ...

I purposely stayed away from the "SS" idea... or the Italian "Black Shirts"... because it would be a little too controversial. Plus, I believe it would be illegal in Germany (not sure about other Euro countries). You are right, I'm not thinking of an elite unit... but more like a Volkstrurm.

Maybe a 5/5/1 strength. Able to stand up against infantry on the defensive and have some attack strenght when used en mass.

Originally posted by Fanny Brice
I believe it would be illegal in Germany

I don't think so.
Regarding controversy: Most german Civ-players I know, are quite open-minded and who cares about the rest?

Originally posted by Fanny Brice
You are right, I'm not thinking of an elite unit... but more like a Volkstrurm.

Maybe a 5/5/1 strength. Able to stand up against infantry on the defensive and have some attack strenght when used en mass.

Sounds good.
If you want to make it government-specific, you just have to think about the building, which produces the unit. Maybe some kind of party headquarters or recruiting board.

On the other hand ... Civ3 already has something like the Volkssturm: The conscript infantry.

I havent noticed this with the AI, and it seems in most of my games they all switch to facism.

I agree with you though on facism needing a little more of a boost. The unit support and the 200% efficiency is fantastic but I find the corruption, lack of commerce bonus, and (most importantly) the cuts to population, outweigh the pros.

Top Bottom