Does Firaxis even test before shipping?

komodo

Chieftain
Firaxis absolutely dropped the ball on this game. I have played since the first CIV and this is the most frustrating one of the series. My system far exceeds all requirements and I still cannot play on a huge map. At some level the number of units brings the game to an unplayable point. Large saved games won't even load. I have applied the patch and read user comments of other suggestions. It is actually amazing that they couldn't get a turn based game to play better than this. The sad part is the design of the game is wonderful, hands down the best of the series. I just don't think Firaxis has the skill sets to use and understand the 3D tools yet. I have played RTS games with ten times the units that perform better than this turn based game. 2K may have pushed the release date up, but the blame still falls on the game maker. This wreck is going back to the store.

I think there's a list of beta testers in the credits - about 30-50 from memory. Doesn't seem like too many given the game would be expected to sell in the millions.
Unfortunately either the small size of the beta pool, or some other failure in the product qualification process, have resulted in the debacle that has played out on these, and other, forums, not to mention all the people that just put the game back in the box and forget about it without saying anything.

While it looks like the next patch may improve things substantially, I still feel it shouldn't have been released as it was.

Well lets see...

I am not a computer guru, I am however, an MCSE/A, A+, C+ programmer blah blah blah type though... I know a little...

I have run through the lists here on fixes...

I have loaded it on 5 different systems here at the house. I have taken it to two other friends systems as well. (thats 7 different systems) Intel, AMD, Creative, Turtlebeach, ATI, Nvidia, MSI, Gigabyte, FIC, XP, Win2K, ME, ...the whole gambit...

I even formatted one system clean, fully updated every single piece of software on it, updated the bios, all the firmwares for the hardware I could find, of course video and sound drivers. I even went and bought a new 1 gig stick of ram for it.

I will not run for more than 15 minutes. ON ANY OF THEM.

I have sent 2k every log I can generate from every system. I have sent my shoe size, my mothers maiden name and my current tire pressure too...

Not a word from them.

Bottom line, you can try and defend Firaxis and 2k all you want...

This was not ready for release.

But hey they got it out in time for Christmas...

Money made...

constrictor said:
Well lets see...

I am not a computer guru, I am however, an MCSE/A, A+, C+ programmer blah blah blah type though... I know a little...

I have run through the lists here on fixes...

I have loaded it on 5 different systems here at the house. I have taken it to two other friends systems as well. (thats 7 different systems) Intel, AMD, Creative, Turtlebeach, ATI, Nvidia, MSI, Gigabyte, FIC, XP, Win2K, ME, ...the whole gambit...

I even formatted one system clean, fully updated every single piece of software on it, updated the bios, all the firmwares for the hardware I could find, of course video and sound drivers. I even went and bought a new 1 gig stick of ram for it.

I will not run for more than 15 minutes. ON ANY OF THEM.

I have sent 2k every log I can generate from every system. I have sent my shoe size, my mothers maiden name and my current tire pressure too...

Not a word from them.

Bottom line, you can try and defend Firaxis and 2k all you want...

This was not ready for release.

But hey they got it out in time for Christmas...

Money made...

My god! That is just FUBAR!

I wonder why it works on mine?:confused:

Must be lucky I guess. :)

Vegas here I come!! :D

Just because it works on yours doesn't mean that other people are making up their problems.

Obviously it works on some, even many systems. However, the number of systems it doesn't work on is way above that which you would expect from a major game development studio and publishing house.

i like cossacks european wars and in that i can build more villagers alone myself than units on a whole civ map and yet it "never" goes slow, even when whole screens of units are fighting it out. Civ on the otherhand....

So what your saying is that no one misinterprets the problems they are having and it is all on Firaxis.

Basically, yes. Not everything, but most problems are directly related to CivIV.

Most people haven't had any problems with any other software prior to installing CivIV, which causes crashes etc.
Firaxis themselves have acknowledged the issue! The new patch coming soon is expected to relieve many of the memory and other problems.

While the demand that CivIV places on the hardware has caused a few people to realise that they have dodgy RAM or whatever, for the vast majority implementing the various "workarounds" described here at CFC has improved performance, which I would suggest makes it pretty clear that CivIV is the main cause of most issues.

I like the game, and Firaxis are working hard to fix things. I don't think the game should have been released as it was but am glad it's being patched and that Firaxis are making the effort to do that.

edit: Have you ever wondered why EVERY forum/subtopic here has "Firaxis wants your crash error reports" sticked up the top?? It's because they know there's a problem and are trying to fix it!

edit#2: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=147375&page=3#52

I agree it certainly should not have been released in this state. There is little doubt in my mind it was a Commercial decision to release in order to catch the Xmas Sales - the latter is hugely important in the Games Industry - although god help them on Xmas day / Boxing day when little johnny opens his present, and it dont run ........

I work in the Release Management side of Software, and there is no way that Civ IV with its anticipated size of roll out, would leave Firaxis without prior knowledge of the nightmare about to be unleashed on a significant number of people.

Its the latter I cant forgive them for - games are now rush released, regretably commercial pressures have forced Companies down that route, but this is way beyond the so called "norm" for release 1. They have released - knowingly in my view - a defective product to a User base containing large numbers of people who cant afford to waste $50 on a game, many of whom spend time doing work outside school / college hours to fund their Civ hobby. I hope the relevant people enjoy their end of year bonus. I for one will not be contributing to a similar fund on Civ V, I will wait until they have got it stable.

It is in my view the game of the decade, whose reputation has been all but destroyed by appauling release management.

Regards
Zy

Deon's right in many ways. I have seen people trash a publisher for problems that are not the their or the game makers fault in any way. Any complaint can be construed that way.

Now we can all expect some fixes for this video card or that sound card. This is normal.

However I am working with the 8th system setup now. Second clean format on the XP3200. Started a few minutes after my first post earlier. The longest, we, (yes, their are 5 of us working on it now) have got it to run is not more than 28 minutes, and that was with no sound, all video settings off or as low as they will go and a tiny map with 6 civs. It still CTD'd after 28 minutes. Although we did have it running on a laptop for an hour but no one touched it. We just wanted to see if it would stay up for a while. It crashed about 8 minutes after we started scrolling around the map. We (the group here) are all veterans of battling new software woes and setups. I have built entire new systems to get something I want to play to run. Or, run well. (sort of like buying a CD for one song, only more expensive) But this is ridiculous. Also, bare in mind that these are not low end systems. Everything from an 2.4 gig P4 and an XP3200 to dual core 4800. Video cards range from a GeForce 5900 Ultra ATI 9800 to a 7800 GTOC. (don't know anyone with a high end ATI X series).

All the civ site forums are lit up with problems. Sure you can say this happens with many releases but those are games that tend to get lumped into the shipped as crap group. I expect problems from *those* publishers. When I buy thier software I keep in mind that "this is going to take some work to play". Or oh no, good concept, but it's publisher X. I weigh how bad I want to play it before I commit to buying from them. I didn't expect that from Civ4 and Firaxis.

The bottom line is unless you have some exacting setup and the moon is in the the 7th sign and it is a month that ends in Q, this thing is buggy for most. Many people just can't or won't fix something like this.

I have been playing the Civ series since Civ for Windows. Which, ironically was the first game I ever patched. Came via snail mail on 5 1/4. I love the series and have been a Sid fan for a long time.

However,

1. This software was not ready for the public.

and

2. I have heard nothing from 2k support. I shouldn't have to turn to a 3rd party site or a group of friends (one drove 85 miles) for help.

As for vegas, yes, there are lucky people out there who are having no problems with it. I do not know any of them personally. Southwest flies to vegas cheap.

As for this groups credentials, one is a software engineer for IBM, the other was on the team that wrote City of Heroes. (Yes, 1+1, I live near Austin, Texas). One of us is a drunk, and the other is missing a patty from his Big Mac. But, they (I won't speak for me) know this stuff well.

Oh crap--- I got it.. it must be the cases. It's the only thing I haven't changed. May need an update for them though...

Now to try the P4 with the turtlebeach on the Gigabyte with the slow ram... or is it the P4 with the Audigy 4 on the FIC... Or is it the Audigy 2 gamer with the 4800...or...

screw it. Going to get a beer, it's going to be another long night.

Too bad I won't be crushing the mongs...

Zydor said:
There is little doubt in my mind it was a Commercial decision to release in order to catch the Xmas Sales - the latter is hugely important in the Games Industry - although god help them on Xmas day / Boxing day when little johnny opens his present, and it dont run ........

So they chose to screw the people that bought the product instead of take the hit on sales? Everyone knows how frustrating it is when they have to open the box CHRISTMAS DAY and try in vain to make the game work. Surely many of the less fortunate of us trash their computer in the process. No one to answer at support and the stores being closed.

I'll have to admit I was suspicious when I bought the game for $29, since it hasn't been out very long...

I dont believe I am lucky.
These people probably do not believe they are lucky either.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=143516

Now take a look at the varying hardware configs they have and tell me again it is all a Firaxis problem.

I wish people would concentrate on a solution to the problem as oposed to trashing the software company.

I have also seen a whole lot of people with problems posting in here that are below spec or have no dedicated video card.

My true favorite is-----

I play all these other games and this is the only game this happens to.

I have seen that line in every game tech forum I can remember.

De Nile. It aint just a river in Egypt!

It seems you don't understand it well. The core of the game is to make the game run properly with time-to-time help of some patches. You have to find the right combination of the game patch, gfx driver, mouse driver, temperature and the color of your socks.
Something about moving units or so, that's just for color.
(I posted it also in a different topic, sorry : )

Neon Deon said:
I dont believe I am lucky.
These people probably do not believe they are lucky either.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=143516

Now take a look at the varying hardware configs they have and tell me again it is all a Firaxis problem.

I wish people would concentrate on a solution to the problem as oposed to trashing the software company.

I have also seen a whole lot of people with problems posting in here that are below spec or have no dedicated video card.

My true favorite is-----

Truly not meant to flame you, but I wonder if you have spent time in all of the other threads. I agree that thrashing the software company isn't the answer... and I also agree that Firaxis likely didn't do this intentionally. The number of people reporting issues with this release, even after a patch is phenomenal for any game. I stated in a thread that I started that is truly shameful that the only truly working fix for the game comes from a member of this web forum and not the software company itself.

I also agree that there are instances where people are posting stats that are below what the game requires even at minimum, and I think for the most part (sorry I don't have an exact estimate) that we are likely over the bulk of those people; it has been almost 2 months since release.

Bottom line -- the rest of the unfortunate souls, who love this series as mush as the rest of you, are essentially out the costs of this game until Firaxis/2K get their horses in a straight line.

Case in point, part of the major push of this game was the MP and how it's better than it was in Civ III... blah blah blah... I won't/can't go near it due to the system crashes I experience.

-IceLion

Neon Deon_ile_ said:
My true favorite is-----

While it's obvious that many people have no problems, it is equally obvious (it would seem to me anyway) that many people do have Civ-specific issues.

Having all your other games work but not Civ would seem to be an indicator of the source of the problem, no?

Anyway since you seem to be in denial, it's not worth arguing over. My opinion - Civ has some bugs, for many it runs fine, for some it doesn't. The patches are likely to fix things, but it should have been tested further before release. In the meantime, CFC suggestions have got it running for nearly everyone, which means that the properly patched version should run great on nearly everyone's PC.

IceLion said:
Truly not meant to flame you, but I wonder if you have spent time in all of the other threads. I agree that thrashing the software company isn't the answer... and I also agree that Firaxis likely didn't do this intentionally. The number of people reporting issues with this release, even after a patch is phenomenal for any game. I stated in a thread that I started that is truly shameful that the only truly working fix for the game comes from a member of this web forum and not the software company itself.

I also agree that there are instances where people are posting stats that are below what the game requires even at minimum, and I think for the most part (sorry I don't have an exact estimate) that we are likely over the bulk of those people; it has been almost 2 months since release.

Bottom line -- the rest of the unfortunate souls, who love this series as mush as the rest of you, are essentially out the costs of this game until Firaxis/2K get their horses in a straight line.

Case in point, part of the major push of this game was the MP and how it's better than it was in Civ III... blah blah blah... I won't/can't go near it due to the system crashes I experience.

-IceLion

Ice,

I am sorry you can not get your game to run. But, to be frank there are a heck of a lot of people that have it running right. The general discussion forum out posts the tech forum by more than 10 to 1.

As far as my last remark about my favorite tech peev goes.

Here are some of the sites and the posts that pertain to what I was refering to earlier "all my other games work cept this one"

Ascaron forum for Port Royale 2 tech support post #65664

http://www.ascaron-forum.com//showf...Old=allposts&Main=64277&Search=true#Post65664

Pirates ahoy forum, POTC, POTC tech forum

http://forum.piratesahoy.net/index.php?showtopic=5346

Elderscrolls forum, Morrowind, Morrowind hardware & software forum.

http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=196906

Civfanatics forum, Civ III, Civ III tech, post 1

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=11024

Café tropico forum, .tropico, tropico tech support post 1

http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~tropico/cafe/index.php?topic=6506.0

BTW

I own all those games and they all work right.

Maybe if we open a case in a local court asking for a couple of million they gonna start to pay some attencion to US...... I m really mad for pay $50 for a game who don't work.

Maxfrrr said:
Maybe if we open a case in a local court asking for a couple of million they gonna start to pay some attencion to US...... I m really mad for pay $50 for a game who don't work.

Max,

Did you check to see if the power line to your gt6800 was only connected to it and nothing else?

Also I looked at your diag and your page file useage is over 300!

Turn off your all non ms-serivces and startup items thru msconfig and try again.

I did not buy this game so I could spend enjoyable hours tweaking it to get it to run. I have been patient. I have updated my drivers. I have disabled the wonder movies. I have over two hundred dump files.

And now idiots are expecting me to disable my virus detection?

One can always expect bugs, but this is ridiculous. Firaxis management are no better than thieves.

:mad:

TSGracchus said:
I did not buy this game so I could spend enjoyable hours tweaking it to get it to run. I have been patient. I have updated my drivers. I have disabled the wonder movies. I have over two hundred dump files.

And now idiots are expecting me to disable my virus detection?

One can always expect bugs, but this is ridiculous. Firaxis management are no better than thieves.

:mad:

lol find a 3d game company that says oh please run virus protection in the back ground while playing this game.

Top Bottom