1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Does hiding a submarine under ice protect it from attack?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Cicerosaurus, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Cicerosaurus

Cicerosaurus Chieftain

Obviously other submarines can still nail it, but would leaving your sub parked under an ice pack protect it from things like destroyers and aircraft?

(I've been trying to prove my theory but no one will oblige and attack me).

2. kaspergm

kaspergm Chieftain

I seem to recall having read that currently, they can still be targeted when under ice. But I have no personal experience to either prove or disprove this.

3. Callonia

Callonia Chieftain

Protected against dessys yes, but I don't know about planes, i'd have to assume that planes can hurt the submarines because planes fire at enemy units indirectly. Basically battleships and missle cruisers can sink submarines under ice, only thing it's safe from is dessys.

4. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

My theory is that it is similar to "hiding" a Caravel in an ocean tile. In this case it is known that the first naval melee unit can not attack it, but that the first ranged naval unit can.

5. sufficiency

sufficiency Chieftain

I would assume it works similarly to hiding your units in another civ's land you have Open Border to.

6. Bergerperson

Bergerperson An actual Canadian

If possible, just stick your ship/submarine/boat in one of your cities and let the city take the beating.

7. Sid Simelia

Sid Simelia Chieftain

I've parked under ice in a couple games, but they never seem to get a sub or destroyer over to even see me, let alone air strike me.

8. whoward69

whoward69 DLL Minion

Anything with a ranged attack can hit it - cities, archers, catapults, battleships, bombers, etc