Does Isabella have a bias against natural wonders?

Mr_jones

Chieftain
I swear every time I play Isabella I want to find a natural wonder and settle a city by it but I can never find one even close to me. I seem to play any other civ and can find a natural wonder in a 10 tiles radius somewhere. So I'm wondering if she just has a bias that she can't spawn within a certain range of natural wonders or I just have bad luck.

I don't think so.. i had some Spain games where i found a wonder in the first 2/3 turns. My impression is that they spawn more often in large desert areas or at the border of a desert. It's also very common to see at least one City State with a wonder nearby.

Edit:
In one of my first BNW games i managed to lose having the Great Barrier Reef in Madrid and King Solomon's Mines in another of my cities... O_o

a bit offtopic but -

Spain doesn't have a starting bias towards natural wonders ... So you need competent scouting to find out quickly who got the goodies and then go and take them by force (military civ) ...

Also even when you luck out and get one "for free" in your early borders - there nothing to stop you to apply the previous rule again - find out how got other natural wonders, kick them in the head and take it from them ... That is how Spain is meant to be played and this way you reduce a bit the influence of random maps ..

It's just bad luck. I managed to find some NW close to my starting position as Spain few times, alto it's usually either secondary city or I had to waste few turns to get there with settler no.1.

I even once found workable Krakatoa with my second city. :lol: Instant 10 science and 8 faith (from religion) for Spanish empire! :lol:

a bit offtopic but -

Spain doesn't have a starting bias towards natural wonders ... So you need competent scouting to find out quickly who got the goodies and then go and take them by force (military civ) ...

Also even when you luck out and get one "for free" in your early borders - there nothing to stop you to apply the previous rule again - find out how got other natural wonders, kick them in the head and take it from them ... That is how Spain is meant to be played and this way you reduce a bit the influence of random maps ..

Early scouting is important for Spain....and usually I'll scout with the settler for a while, unless I've got an unusually good starting spot...say, lots of salt....

Though I find it is typically not worth fighting for any natural wonder...it just takes too long. Though sometimes there are exceptions.

Also, on occasion, I'll set-up a city then use the Great General from Honour to steal the wonder...usually my "victim" for this is a CS. In a game not too long ago I was able to get KSM into my second city early enough using this tactic.

And, yeah, occasionally on the first move you run into a choice wonder, but you can't count on that.....more often, there won't be any reasonable wonders nearby....or something boring like Old Faithful or the Grand Mesa.... though either of these can be a nice addition to an already good city site.

No, there is no "avoid or prefer Natural Wonders" setting for civilization start bias (at least not in the xml - whether they stuck something deeper in the code is another matter). It's all just luck.

The luna script specifics the minimum distance both a major civ and a city state must be away from national wonders. It's not civ specific, but city states are allowed to have them two tiles away while for a major civ it has to be either 4 or 5.

The luna script specifics the minimum distance both a major civ and a city state must be away from national wonders. It's not civ specific, but city states are allowed to have them two tiles away while for a major civ it has to be either 4 or 5.

Right, but Spain is no less likely to be within 4-5 tiles of a NW than any other civilization. Those settings just determine if you're a Major or Minor civ, not a specific one.

It seems to work better on continents, but not 100%. Pangea isn't as good.

It's not in the code, but I swear I can reroll as Spain 20 times and not find a single wonder. I have really bad map luck.

It's not in the code, but I swear I can reroll as Spain 20 times and not find a single wonder. I have really bad map luck.

:D ....and that is one of the downsides of playing as Spain....if you can't find natural wonders the games just aren't that interesting....better to go play as Venice or Persia or even the Mongols....

I constantly give up on games as Spain....

Hmmm. I thought Spain had a bias to start near a natural wonder. I've played them about 10 times and I always found one close by in my games as them.

I swear every time I play Isabella I want to find a natural wonder and settle a city by it but I can never find one even close to me. I seem to play any other civ and can find a natural wonder in a 10 tiles radius somewhere. So I'm wondering if she just has a bias that she can't spawn within a certain range of natural wonders or I just have bad luck.

Big problem. Unless you play on an actual Earth map ofcourse (Gibraltar anyone?). :mischief:

Top Bottom