Does lack of a draft make war too easy?

Does lack of a draft make war too easy to support politically?

• Total voters
My issue concerning a large or small Army is the general principle of "When it doesn't affect you or someone you know it becomes easier to do". Things for example like reducing benefits. When you don't know someone who has lived the life, with all its sacrifices (or for that matter, lived it yourself) it does become easy to send them to war. Why? Though you may have read alot of books, and seen alot of movies, you just can't understand what it is like.

1.1million Army in uniform (ARNG, Reserve, and AD total) out of 340,000,000 people. Less than 1/3 of one percent bear the burden of war. Maybe I am sounding a little self-righteous and I am sorry if I do, but people are arguing about the size of the defense budget at a time when units who are refitting for re-deployment to a real shooting war, don't have enough money to buy computer paper, let alone parts for their weapons and vehicles. Every day I hear people talk about how they would fight the war, but many of them have never been in uniform, let alone fired a shot in anger.

I guess I would consider that abuse. It's tragic, an army should be a reflection of the society it defends. Instead, it is comprised largely of persons who have had family in the miltary previously. It is becoming an insular society with little or no connection to the public it defends. That is when an Army becomes dangerous.

I do NOT, under any circumstance think that EVERYONE should serve. That would be ridiculous not to mention impractical. I do however think that when we do go to war, there needs to be some, for lack of a better word, discomfort. That is, if taxes were raised to fund the war, or some people were drafted to meet mission requirements, then I think people would take a greater interest in things that change policy, like voting.

Just my opinion. Sorry if I sound a bit self-righteous.

BasketCase said:
I agree that a small military is easier to use, because its use is less likely to generate a public outcry; but at the same time, the number of abuses must be smaller. Fewer soldiers means fewer friendly-fire incidents, fewer civilians getting mistaken for combatants, fewer detainees getting forced to wear their underwear on their heads. Which factor will be the greater? Impossible to say. Since we can only count the number of abuses that actually get caught (if you don't even know it happened, it's not even going to make it onto the tally sheet), our measure of the abusiveness of any given military force is not going to be very accurate.

When do prisoners get abused? When the guards are over worked and understaffed right? Same goes for "friendly-fire incidents" Fatigue is usually the greatest single factor to this. Fatigue, brought on by being overworked as a result of being understaffed. Just a thought.

madness i say....

i am unwilling to fight for america cus its not worth dieing for, cus if im dead i cant enjoy the freedoms of it.. so let other ppl fight and die for me so i may live in freedom, i think this is a much beater idea.. send the hole army off and let them die to insure my freedom, if the army failes.. then i shell take my own life *and by fail i mean uterly crushed, and freedom is destroyed in the usa and replace by some despotic rule*

Vietcong said:
madness i say....

i am unwilling to fight for america cus its not worth dieing for, cus if im dead i cant enjoy the freedoms of it.. so let other ppl fight and die for me so i may live in freedom, i think this is a much beater idea.. send the hole army off and let them die to insure my freedom, if the army failes.. then i shell take my own life *and by fail i mean uterly crushed, and freedom is destroyed in the usa and replace by some despotic rule*

I'm glad millions of other men and women have disagreed with you over the past 200+ years... :rolleyes:

Vietcong said:
madness i say....

The "madness" of it is that people will still fight and die so you can live like that. Convenient isn't it?

Top Bottom