Does lack of a draft make war too easy?

Does lack of a draft make war too easy to support politically?

• Total voters

Mark1031

Deity
The Best Army We Can Buy
By DAVID M. KENNEDY
THE United States now has a mercenary army. To be sure, our soldiers are hired from within the citizenry, unlike the hated Hessians whom George III recruited to fight against the American Revolutionaries. But like those Hessians, today's volunteers sign up for some mighty dangerous work largely for wages and benefits - a compensation package that may not always be commensurate with the dangers in store, as current recruiting problems testify.

Neither the idealism nor the patriotism of those who serve is in question here. The profession of arms is a noble calling, and there is no shame in wage labor. But the fact remains that the United States today has a military force that is extraordinarily lean and lethal, even while it is increasingly separated from the civil society on whose behalf it fights. This is worrisome - for reasons that go well beyond unmet recruiting targets.

One troubling aspect is obvious. By some reckonings, the Pentagon's budget is greater than the military expenditures of all other nations combined. It buys an arsenal of precision weapons for highly trained troops who can lay down a coercive footprint in the world larger and more intimidating than anything history has known. Our leaders tell us that our armed forces seek only just goals, and at the end of the day will be understood as exerting a benign influence. Yet that perspective may not come so easily to those on the receiving end of that supposedly beneficent violence.

But the modern military's disjunction from American society is even more disturbing. Since the time of the ancient Greeks through the American Revolutionary War and well into the 20th century, the obligation to bear arms and the privileges of citizenship have been intimately linked. It was for the sake of that link between service and a full place in society that the founders were so invested in militias and so worried about standing armies, which Samuel Adams warned were "always dangerous to the liberties of the people."

Many African-Americans understood that link in the Civil War, and again in World Wars I and II, when they clamored for combat roles, which they saw as stepping stones to equal rights. From Aristotle's Athens to Machiavelli's Florence to Thomas Jefferson's Virginia and Robert Gould Shaw's Boston and beyond, the tradition of the citizen-soldier has served the indispensable purposes of sustaining civic engagement, protecting individual liberty - and guaranteeing political accountability.

That tradition has now been all but abandoned. A comparison with a prior generation's war illuminates the point. In World War II, the United States put some 16 million men and women into uniform. What's more, it mobilized the economic, social and psychological resources of the society down to the last factory, rail car, classroom and victory garden. World War II was a "total war." Waging it compelled the participation of all citizens and an enormous commitment of society's energies.

But thanks to something that policymakers and academic experts grandly call the "revolution in military affairs," which has wedded the newest electronic and information technologies to the destructive purposes of the second-oldest profession, we now have an active-duty military establishment that is, proportionate to population, about 4 percent of the size of the force that won World War II. And today's military budget is about 4 percent of gross domestic product, as opposed to nearly 40 percent during World War II.

The implications are deeply unsettling: history's most potent military force can now be put into the field by a society that scarcely breaks a sweat when it does so. We can now wage war while putting at risk very few of our sons and daughters, none of whom is obliged to serve. Modern warfare lays no significant burdens on the larger body of citizens in whose name war is being waged.

This is not a healthy situation. It is, among other things, a standing invitation to the kind of military adventurism that the founders correctly feared was the greatest danger of standing armies - a danger made manifest in their day by the career of Napoleon Bonaparte, whom Jefferson described as having "transferred the destinies of the republic from the civil to the military arm."

Some will find it offensive to call today's armed forces a "mercenary army," but our troops are emphatically not the kind of citizen-soldiers that we fielded two generations ago - drawn from all ranks of society without respect to background or privilege or education, and mobilized on such a scale that civilian society's deep and durable consent to the resort to arms was absolutely necessary.

Leaving questions of equity aside, it cannot be wise for a democracy to let such an important function grow so far removed from popular participation and accountability. It makes some supremely important things too easy - like dealing out death and destruction to others, and seeking military solutions on the assumption they will be swifter and more cheaply bought than what could be accomplished by the more vexatious business of diplomacy.

The life of a robust democratic society should be strenuous; it should make demands on its citizens when they are asked to engage with issues of life and death. The "revolution in military affairs" has made obsolete the kind of huge army that fought World War II, but a universal duty to service - perhaps in the form of a lottery, or of compulsory national service with military duty as one option among several - would at least ensure that the civilian and military sectors do not become dangerously separate spheres. War is too important to be left either to the generals or the politicians. It must be the people's business.

David M. Kennedy, a professor of history at Stanford and the author of the Pulitzer-Prize winning "Freedom from Fear: The American People in Depression and War, 1929-1945," is working on a book about the American national character.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/25/opinion/25kennedy.html

I've always thought that when one is deciding whether they support military action by their nation they should ask whether they would be willing to serve themselves in the war or have one of their close family members serve. If the answer is no then I don't see how you can in good conscience support the military action. In the past with a draft this was a real question, now is simply a philosophical question that is too easy to sidestep in the rush to war. The military recruiting difficulties in the U.S. suggest that the 70 or 80 percent of people that said they support the Iraq war at the outset would not be willing to have their families serve. There really needs to be some link between personal sacrifice and political support for war. If you don't like the draft then I suggest that all wars be linked to an immediate surcharge of 3 percent of your yearly income to help fund the war and provide greater benefits to those in the combat zone. Or at least something so that people have to feel and reflect on the sacrifices that they are voting for others to make.

I beleve that since the draft has been placed on the shelf, that any proposal for war (or should I say police action since Congress never declared war for Guld War II) is easy to push forward in government.

I have thought about this many times over the years, and have come to a different conclusion. The ones who join the military today are predominately the ones who are willing to put their lives on the line for their country. The problem is not that the military is getting out of touch with the country, but that "New-England-style Liberals" are getting out of touch with the country's values. The military is not made up of the poor, and the non-whites. It is largely made up of "Rural Americans", from the so-called "Red" states. I would turn the question around, to ask why the "Left" doesn't think they should have to help serve their country.

I have no problem with a "mercenary" military. Let the people who believe in this country, and are willing to die for it, be the ones to put their lives on the line. The only downside I can see is that traits such as Courage, Integrity, and Honor may be bred out of the population.

Edit: More directly on topic, it *might* make it easier for some politicians to sned us to war.

Padma said:
The problem is not that the military is getting out of touch with the country, but that "New-England-style Liberals" are getting out of touch with the country's values. The military is not made up of the poor, and the non-whites. It is largely made up of "Rural Americans", from the so-called "Red" states. I would turn the question around, to ask why the "Left" doesn't think they should have to help serve their country.

I have no problem with a "mercenary" military. Let the people who believe in this country, and are willing to die for it, be the ones to put their lives on the line.

Why must you turn it into a red blue political debate. It was democratic congressmen that proposed reinstating the draft and are the "New-England-style Liberals" you refer to in the mold of John Kerry? Sheesh, people of all political strips have served this countries (US) military. Please stop this war on the 60s anti-war radical straw man, he no longer exists.

No, if anything it makes it harder. Much much harder. The United States has an extremely limited number of combat front line troops.

Mark1031 said:
Why must you turn it into a red blue political debate. It was democratic congressmen that proposed reinstating the draft and are the "New-England-style Liberals" you refer to in the mold of John Kerry? Sheesh, people of all political strips have served this countries (US) military. Please stop this war on the 60s anti-war radical straw man, he no longer exists.
I don't see how it can be discussed *without* getting political. I know the bill was introduced by a Democrat, who by his own admission was simply looking to put pressure on Republicans, and admits the bill would never pass. And I admit that "New-England-style Liberals" is a stereotype, but it so aptly describes a still-existent mindset.

As for people of all political stripes having served with honor, I must heartily agree. However, since the All-Volunteer Army started in the '70s, one group of people has been conspicuously absent from the rolls of enlistees: the "New-England-style Liberals". (;)) The Armed Forces, which back in the '60s were roughly 50/50 when it came to party affiliation (and many, particularly senior officers, disavowed *any* party affiliation), is now heavily Republican, as much as 80/20 or more, and a larger percentage are publicly identifying themselves as belonging to a party.

I personally am saddened by this situation, as I think the military should be a reflection of the citizenry. It just tells me that "the Left" believes that either they are *above* serving, or no longer believe the country is worth putting their lives on the line.

Mark1031 said:

I think you're referring to Congressman Rangel? He first brought up the idea, but do you remember the draft rhetoric coming from the Kerry supporters in the 2004 campaign? It was so pervasive that Bush had to publicly state that he did not intend to reinstitute the draft.

Considering current affairs and themes of other thread topics, it's hard not to infer that your thread choice is free of any political angle.

As for the poll, I vote no. Name one war, draft or not, that the US entered without public support.

Well you can assign whatever political motives to me that you like but they were not my intention. I am a democrat who thinks a draft for national service Military and otherwise is a good idea for producing national cohesion and understanding if not necessarily military effectiveness. I don;t speak for or know what the party as a whole would think but there are certainly some that would support this idea if implemented properly. There are also many on both sides that would use it as a political football and create a firestorm which unfortunately would get all the attantion.

rmsharpe said:
Are we talking about instituting compulsory military service to bridge some sort of cultural gap?

yes. Cultural gaps that grow too large are a security threat.

The military is not a social experiment, it is a force intended to fight.

Well the army may say it does not need conscripts because of the high tech nature of the military but the Rumsfeld doctrine looks pretty much dead. If you are going to occupy countries and fight insurgencies you need low tech guys with guns on the ground. Where will they come from?

It is difficult for me to look at this page http://www.history.navy.mil/wars/foabroad.htm and be convinced that recent foreign adventurism is a result of post-VietNam lack of multicultural participation in the military. I'd have to ask why there was no draft or greater-than-4%-of-the-population-in-uniform for the Spanish-American War, the various interventions in Central America, the pre-WWI hostilities with Mexico, or even the cowing of the Barbary Pirates.

That said, the current Congress has a recent-years low of 30% of military veterans in its ranks, and the Senate has only one member with a son or daughter in the active-duty military. Would Congress be more likely to approve foreign military adventures because of a dearth of veteran legislators? I don't know, but I doubt it.

Padma said:
I personally am saddened by this situation, as I think the military should be a reflection of the citizenry. It just tells me that "the Left" believes that either they are *above* serving, or no longer believe the country is worth putting their lives on the line.

You do realize there is a disproporationate ammount of minorities in the military right? You shouldn't draw political distinctions in the military, mainless because most in there really don't care if the person next to them is republican or liberal when they're being shot at. The military is mainly compromised of the lower classes. Its poor people fighting the rich man's war (either Liberal or Republican).

I would say the opposite is true, that lack of a draft makes it harder to fight wars.

Look at Vietnam and Iraq. We have a bunch of trust-fund liberals on the sidelines
aiding the enemies of the US. :mad:

DBear said:
I would say the opposite is true, that lack of a draft makes it harder to fight wars.

Look at Vietnam and Iraq. We have a bunch of trust-fund liberals on the sidelines
aiding the enemies of the US. :mad:

Sorry, but when you wage a foreign war of ideology I am under no obligation to fight. That is why the 'liberals' were so upset. Democracy is a pretty good government system, but not good enough that I'm going to force it on others with napalm and artillery.

So criticizing the act of going to war is wrong and aids the enemy? Just imagine if that were true...Funny that when the enemy is terrorism the 'hawks' do exactly what the enemy wants and start trying to turn their society into a pseudo-fascist state so that they don't have to hear the distasteful opinions of the 'liberals'.

And I didn't realize that all liberals have trust funds...I certainly don't.

I'd say generally no, because as you see now in the US, getting folks to join a war they don't want to fight is hard. The US would have had to abandon actions in Vietnam long before they did had there not been a draft. The elite can (almost) always avoid service.

Top Bottom