1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Does miasma block harmony trade routes?

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by Enkidu Warrior, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Enkidu Warrior

Enkidu Warrior Ultramagnetic

I haven't landed a viable harmony start yet, but it's next on my list to try. I thought I'd spam miasma everywhere, and I know that there are techs that make your units and workers immune, but do I need to leave corridors for my trade units?

2. Jimbo30

Jimbo30 Prince

Annoyingly, yes your own Miasma blocks off your own trade routes. Something they'll have to work on.

3. aguliondew

aguliondew Prince

Not sure. Have never had miasma around by the time I hit the heal from miasma with harmony.

4. kirbdog

kirbdog King

Because the "remove miasma" worker action is part of an early Harmony affinity tech, it seems as though the "Harmony" approach is to "remove miasma" faster than others... at least for trade.

5. Ryoga

Ryoga King

The problem is that you'll hardly want to put a miasma condenser over your cities, which at first seemed a good idea to make possible invasions from purity and supremacy factions a lot harder for them.

But since the miasma blocks your trade units... well that's not such a good idea anymore, unless you go your way to remove some miasma to open just a path for trade routes. Quite tedious and not worth the effort imo.

6. Healthbig

Healthbig Chieftain

I've done some experimenting on this in my harmony games, I'll explain how it works here.

Firstly, harmony trade units do get blocked by miasma at the start of the game so you will need to get the early tech that provides worker miasma immunity and allows workers to remove miasma from tiles. You don't need to do it with every tile, just make sure that there is a clear path between your cities. It only took 2 turns to remove miasma on standard speed and I'd say on average I only need to remove around 3 tiles to make all my cities connect at the start so it doesn't take very long at all.

Later in the game there are 2 different ways for trade units to get immunity to miasma and be able to pass though it freely without penalties. You don't need to get them both, just whichever one you get first will do the trick. The first method that works for everyone is to research the 'Alien Hybridization' technology. It's a very late tech so I wouldn't really recommend using this method unless you have some crazy free tech boosts (that could have been better spent getting other techs). The second method is to just keep leveling up your harmony affinity, once you reach harmony level 6 all your units become immune to miasma and heal in it instead, trade routes included.

This does mean that there is a bit of a gap where you can't really use miasmic condensers inside your lands, but I really love miasmic condensers so I just spam them around my lands first and keep the middle free of miasma for the internal trade routes. Nobody is going to attack you with phasal transporters into the middle of your lands that early into the game.

7. Jimbo30

Jimbo30 Prince

Does Harmony 6 actually let your trade go through Miasma? I thought that was the point at which I realised it was a bit of a design flaw, as I'd expected to see Harmony 6 allow that but it didn't appear to in the game I tried.

8. bhavv

bhavv Glorious World Dictator

Both harmony 6 and the tech that makes your units immune to miasma should allow it I think, if they don't then make a bug report.

I havnt gotten my harmony that high yet. Though I really wanted to, going for all the wonder and farm techs puts me at around 3 purity and 8 supremacy, so I'm no longer a harmony fan.

I just try to get harmony to 4/5 to unlock the fungus and +5 food buildings.

9. Healthbig

Healthbig Chieftain

Yes, they both work. I've covered all my land in miasma after reaching harmony 6 and there were no problems with trade routes at all.

10. Jimbo30

Jimbo30 Prince

Ok cool. Annoyingly I've deleted the saves from that game so I can't see what my issue was.

11. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

Either Harmony level 6 or the Alien Hybridization technology should allow Trade Routes to pass miasma.

12. Enkidu Warrior

Enkidu Warrior Ultramagnetic

Thanks for the answers. It turned out that when I finally rolled a xenomass start, all my cities are coastal so I'm not using land trade units anyway.