1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Does playing with a strong civilization increase the chances of winning multiplayer?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Multiplayer' started by Captain_Wozzeck, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Captain_Wozzeck

Captain_Wozzeck Chieftain

2. Callonia

Callonia Deity

It can increase your chances of winning but, if you have questionable skill to win. It won't help you one bit. lol

3. komodowaran

komodowaran Warlord

jes, as long as u don't get Teamed

so Playing Arabie does decrease your chances of wining if u play a FFA with good players

4. killmeplease

killmeplease Mk Z on Steam

and does playing a crappy civ increase your chances? :)

5. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Moderator Action: Moved to Multiplayer forum.

6. Captain_Wozzeck

Captain_Wozzeck Chieftain

The title didn't make this very clear, but I'm linking to an article I wrote that actually tries to answer the question with statistics. As it happens, the evidence suggests that this might actually be the case for the most competitive players!

7. Akbarthegreat

Akbarthegreat Angel of Junil

Interesting article :D Makes sense too.. who wouldn't want to eliminate Mongolia before Keshiks arrive?

8. komodowaran

komodowaran Warlord

mongolia is ondly realy scary if u make the setings and rules so that they are
    if u fix the bug that keshiks are not mounted units and alow shift then it's possible to defend agains keshiks

9. Sharples

Sharples Prince

It most certainly can increase your chances. But ultimately it decides on the skill base of the player.

10. Ethansito

Ethansito Chieftain

I would say that playing as a strong civilization does not increase your chances of winning.
    It depends on your and the other player's skills and actions.

11. HorseshoeHermit

HorseshoeHermit 20% accurate as usual, Morty

You can't tell me that being Poland, Babylon, or Korea doesn't increase your chances. You just get free stuff for playing them. Did you know Babs even has a bias for avoid tundra? Poland stronk. Poland very strongk.

If having free stuff doesn't tilt the game in your favour then this isn't a strategy game but the worst of all random generators: the win by poll.

The effort to use quantification is laudable, but I'm sure any statistician of your caliber knows the flaws with your method.

12. Melchizedek

Melchizedek Warlord

It seems probable from my own limited experience that strong players are more willing to play weak civs. Weak players tend to use a civ with top-flight bonuses as a crutch. However, I do think strong civs give less advantage in MP than in SP, since human players will see that bonus coming and do something to blunt it.

13. killmeplease

killmeplease Mk Z on Steam

14. Lightning5555

Lightning5555 Chieftain

Playing with a stronger civ will increase your chances of winning in multiplayer, but the limiting factor will always be the users skill level. If a new person uses Washington, they are not going to get much help from their benefits versus a civ like China. With China the perks can help them stay alive or in the game by accident more or less. With advanced players of equal skill that know how to use the civs, those perk advantages become even more helpful. Picking a better civ is like picking a better pantheon or a finding more ruins. Just gives you a leg up on the competition.