Does propaganda ever work?!?

meltone1

Civophile
The Hittites just captured a city from the Ottomans. This city was very far away from the rest of the hittite empire, and it only had about 5 or 6 pop. I basically had the city enveloped with high culture producing cities of my own. I checked my advisor, and sure enough, hittites are in awe of my culture. I tried propaganda 3 times in a row (3 turns in a row) and no luck. I also tried it many other times throughout the game to different civs, many of them in anarchy, and all of them at least admirers of my culture. Also, I tried to pick the cities that were as far away from their capitol as possible. I probably tried 15-20 times throughout the game, and no luck. At 2 grand a pop, you would think it would have more success than this. Maybe I just don't know how to do it right. If this is so, maybe someone can enlighten me?

Good question.

I have never successfully done it myself. Recently with C3C, one of my cities was the target of a propaganda attack. The adviser said something to the affect of "Hamburg was the target of an unsuccessful propaganda attack." That was a first for me in many, many games.

Is propaganda an "all or nothing" attack (if successful, you get the city). Or does it cause some sort of unrest in a % of the population? I believe it is the former.

I've never been able to do it.. even when it was a distant city like that, and I had enormous culture (more than every other civ combined in one example).

Originally posted by meltone1
The Hittites just captured a city from the Ottomans. This city was very far away from the rest of the hittite empire, and it only had about 5 or 6 pop. I basically had the city enveloped with high culture producing cities of my own. I checked my advisor, and sure enough, hittites are in awe of my culture. I tried propaganda 3 times in a row (3 turns in a row) and no luck. I also tried it many other times throughout the game to different civs, many of them in anarchy, and all of them at least admirers of my culture. Also, I tried to pick the cities that were as far away from their capitol as possible. I probably tried 15-20 times throughout the game, and no luck. At 2 grand a pop, you would think it would have more success than this. Maybe I just don't know how to do it right. If this is so, maybe someone can enlighten me?

You seem to be doing all the right things so IMO you're just being unlucky. I am able to occasionaly succeed in propaganda missions. I only attempt propaganda in cities with a population of 1 or 2, mostly after they have just fallen to another civ. Also sometimes a city will flip over to your side on the second or third try during the same turn.

Does Communists Vetern Spys have an increased chance of success for propaganda?

my guess would be yes
why else would they be vets :/
or perhaps less chance of getting caught :o
and what do you have to do to make'm elite? :p

I'm pretty sure you can't have a spy of yours promote to elite. If you want elite spies you would have to go into the editor, you can set spy experience by government. BTW it seems fascist spies are also veteran...

Does it work?
Well not in my games, and it's not that I didn't try.

i do it all the time but have never tyed in c3c

I always figured that the spy would gain experience the more you used it -- is this the case?

The only time I have been able to get Propganda to work is in plain Civ3, and with cities size 4 or small in any sort of goverment besides Anarchy. Also I've noticed that if the gold required is over 500, it's VERY VERY unlikely of it happening. Even with a city size 4 or smaller, it's damn near impossible to have it work when the target is in communisum. I haven't had enough of a cultural lead in C3C yet to try it out, but when I did try it on some mods, and had no success. I have noticed the AI using it alot more, which I enjoy. That just could be because I stepped up a dificulty level too.

Top Bottom