Does removing the score victory affect how the AI plays?

valerislysander

Chieftain
I quite often now remove the score victory as I dont like being limited in turns and I would rather win one of the four main victories (or lose) than a score victory which can be quite easy most of the time.

My question is does it affect gameplay removing this though? Does it mean the AI concentrates on the other victories more?

Do other people remove score or keep all all the victory types?

I'm pretty sure deactivating any sort of victory does not affect how the AI plays, so for that reason, for a balanced game with AI as competitive as their limited intelligence can be, it's better not to disable any win conditions.

With that said, I'm not sure the AI "aims" for a Score Victory in the same way it might focus a Culture or Religious victory.

I used to disable Score victory, finding it rather unsatisfying compared with the more deliberate ones and I have done since I joined the series with Civ IV. But nowadays I leave it on, as it adds a sort of extra impetus to achieve another type of victory in a timely fashion. Not that that's really been an issue so far, but hey, I'm working my way up to Emperor as we speak.

I keep all the victory types enabled, although score victory is the one type of victory I never get. The game will always end long before the turn limit. What kind of game speed and difficulty do you play on? I usually play on Epic and King.

I keep all the victory types enabled, although score victory is the one type of victory I never get.
same here.
i'm not sure if turn limit is disabled too, when score victory is disabled. i think the game ends in 2050 anyways...

same here.
i'm not sure if turn limit is disabled too, when score victory is disabled. i think the game ends in 2050 anyways...
Yes turn limits are a different setting.

I keep all victories turned on as it can do weird things to the AI if you don't.

@KayAU I'm playing on Prince and sometimes King on Standard speed, maybe moving to Epic speed would lessen the chance of score victories then?

@Turrdy Interesting I've never checked the turn limit option as to whether its on or off when you turn off the score victory. The turn limit could be on anyway then :)

@NobleZarkon This is what i thought as I've seen it mentioned quite a few times that if you turn a victory off e.g. culture that the AI then behaves differently as it doesn't need to worry about that victory type. Considering score is based on pop, production maybe gold to I can't remember how the score is calculated but it could mean they play differently.

I might just play with them all on then next game to see if there is any difference and if I'm reaching score victories I'll try moving to Epic speed. How much longer are Epic games compared to Standard?

Well, the thing about slower game speeds, is that while research and production is slowed down, unit movement speed remains the same. That means that there is more time to do stuff within each era, which is what I like about it. I think this will increase the chance of the game reaching a conclusion before the turn limit. Upping the difficulty should also help, as the Ai will be better able to keep up in research and culture.

Epic is supposed to be 50% slower.

Top Bottom