1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Does Starships have enough turns per game?

Discussion in 'Starships' started by Stalker0, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

One thing I am noticing is that the actual number of turns in starships is actually quite low, 20 is not a crazy number.

Now a quick game per say isn't that bad...but I fear it actually breaks the economic model.

The model assumes that you invest in your infrastructure to get a payoff later, just as Civ has always done. However, when you only have a less than 20 turn payoff....the payoff never really comes.

Currently, I see no reason to invest in food for example. I use what food I have, but I would never waste metal in getting more...as by the time the new cities pay for the themselves I'm already at end game. I'm even starting to question if investing metal for more metal is really worth it except in the most extreme examples.

2. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I've had the same issues. I hardly invest in planetary infrastructure. If there are no wonders available that I want, then I dump my metals into food production, because iincreasing population increases all yields relatively equally. But that's it. Wonders and the farm things and the warp things. that's all I ever build.

3. Minor Annoyance

Minor Annoyance Chieftain

4. Blue Emu

Blue Emu GroFAZ

Doesn't the victory conditions selection apply ONLY to the Human player? Can't the AI still win (for example) a Wonders victory even if you have set the victory conditions to "Domination"?

5. Minor Annoyance

6. Blue Emu

Blue Emu GroFAZ

I would also like to see this changed. Other than that, I'm relatively happy with what we've received for our money.

7. frog_gamer

frog_gamer Chieftain

I quite agree that the number of turns is small (10 turns on Epic, hard), but that was still 24 missions!! lots of fun!

From the games I have played the Wonder Victory condition seems to be too fast, maybe increasing it by 1 or 2 wonders??

Still for 14€, I am not complaining, rather the reverse

8. Minor Annoyance

I assume you mean 20 missions because I usually get ten voyages (turns) and 20 missions.
    I do the I invest to see how long till it breaks even and three turns seems like the fastest you can expect. However since the games doesn't show how many turns have gone by I need to keep track of that manually.
    Your right that food is a tough one to invest in. You have to factor the time till you get food to cover the investment and then factor in the time to get a return whatever the new food will get you. If it's food for a food planet you're into a infinite loop so I just ignore the extra food you can get from building cities when deciding if the return is worth it. I think they should halve the cost of aquifiers like how they double the cost of energy upgrades. Wish this game was modable...
    I disagree about metal though. I've found it can snowball pretty quickly, although that is with a double modifier so that may still be 'extreme'. Unless you get a planet with high population with no improvements like the the pirate or marauder or a primal world then only a big bonus gets a fast enough return.

9. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Warlord

If you want a long game, play on a epic map and select domination as our victory type. The epic map will not just give you more planets to fight over but since it disables auto-capitation, you will actually need to conquer planets rather than just beeline for the homeworld. Selecting "domination" as your victory will mean that you can get 7 wonders to help you win the game without triggering a premature win. You will still need to keep playing towards a domination win. I am playing a game like this now and it is quite long.

10. thecrazyscot

thecrazyscot Spiffy

It certainly could be longer, but I'm not sure that is what it was designed for. I think it was specifically designed to be a game you could play to finish relatively quickly.

I think if it were to be longer, some of the mechanics would need to be beefed up to make them compelling and to prevent it from simply getting tedious once your ships are over-powered.

11. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Warlord

When I played my epic domination game, the game got very tedious at the end when all my ships were super over-powered but I still needed to go through the motions of taking every last planet on the map. So I think the shortness of the game on most settings is well balanced.

12. thecrazyscot

thecrazyscot Spiffy

Indeed, especially if you're going with fighters or torpedoes. :wallbash:

13. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Warlord

Well, by the end, I had 8 uber battleships (maxed out engines, shields, armor, lasers, cannons, 5 stealth and 2 torpedoes and 2 fighters). I also had 13 wonders, including cloaking, hyper launch, dual command, stealth torpedoes, redundant systems and damage control. My capital ships were invincible. I would simply move my battleships forward, launch a full spread of torpedoes, then launch fighters to point blank range to the enemy and blast them. The enemy would kill some of my fighters. On my second turn, my torpedoes would kill most of the enemy fleet, and my battleships would move in and take out some more. There would sometimes be 1 enemy ship that would survive to turn 3 and try to run but my fighters and ships would pursue and make the final kill.

14. thecrazyscot

thecrazyscot Spiffy

Yeah, sometimes I try to limit my fleet size to 3 or 4 not only to give myself a challenge but to cut down on all the tactical tedium in the end-game.

It's awesome to be invincible a few times, but then it quickly becomes boring.

15. Minor Annoyance

Domination does indeed make the game longer but those extra turns are mostly clean-up. I just recently played domination only because I kept forgetting to set it. I quit because I was winning and had half the galaxy so I'd likely just use the population victory in the future. With the max number of players that's an accomplishment which would lead to a domination victory so why stick around.

I say make the Aquifer cheaper so you can get a return on it's investment before the game ends without having to build them the first turn.