1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Does Steam version of Civ 3 actually work in Win 10?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Technical Support' started by Antonin1957, Sep 10, 2020.

1. Antonin1957

Antonin1957 Chieftain

Hello.

I bought a new Win 10 computer in January. I installed Civ 3 today on the C drive (not Program Files) and tried to get the game to run. It won't, no matter how much I fiddle around with preferences and administrator and blah blah.

I see that Civ 3 is available on Steam. I hate Steam, but I really want to play Civ 3. Does the Steam version work on Win 10? Or do you have to make adjustments? Back in the day, I got so tired of fumbling around to get DOS games to work, and over the years I've become soooo tired of every new edition of Windows making another group of favorite games unplayable.

I'm in my 60s, and this will be my last computer. I just want to play this game without having to jump through hoops...

2. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am.

Buy the version on GOG.com for $1.49. No Steam client d/l necessary.

3. Antonin1957

Antonin1957 Chieftain

I'm sorry, I don't know what GOG.com is, and I don't click on links that I see in forums. Is GOG.com a safe, legitimate site?

EDIT: I looked up GOG, and I see that it's in Poland. That's too close to Russia for me. These days I don't feel safe giving credit card information to any Eastern European or Russian companies. Oh well.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
  4. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am.

Yes, it's legitimate. Only, legitimate game sources can be linked to on CFC. But, it's your decision and btw it's back up to $5.99 now.

5. Ozymandias

Ozymandias I saw the Great Library burn.

I had precisely the same issues (well, sort of - getting Steam's Civ 3 to run on Win 10 with a HD monitor was a nightmare) and - irrespective of country of origin, I do everything I can to limit "back door" access to my machine ... But, as @Civinator walked me through about 8 levels of confusion just one thread away from this one, you can but Civ 3 form GOG, and d/l an "offline installer" for the game and simply delete the GOG Galaxy software from your machine.

6. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

If I needed so many levels of explanation, my former explanations were not good enough. :D