1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Does 'That Alone' tell you civ 5 is not like the others?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by ShuShu62, Nov 4, 2010.

?

Which describes you best

1. I liked the first version of Civ that I played and it was not civ 5

83 vote(s)
    66.9%
  2. I liked the first version of civ that I played and it was civ 5

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  3. I disliked all versions of civ that I played until I played a version other than civ 5

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  4. I disliked all versions of civ that I played until I played civ 5

3 vote(s)
    2.4%
  5. Boy those sentences are long

16 vote(s)
    12.9%
  6. I wonder why you included a 6th option

18 vote(s)
    14.5%
  1. ShuShu62

ShuShu62 Chieftain

A claim was made on another thread, that appealing to a new customer base is indication that civ 5 is not a true civilization game. (insert implied condescention here)

While I don't agree with the inferrence, I think the underlying assumption is wrong, and that is more important.

2. vandyr

vandyr Chieftain

Haven't really seen any evidence of that claim anyway, but even if it were true I wouldn't agree with the assumption that its "different". All of the Civ's have been different...not one of them has been a 'sequel' to the others in a traditional sense.

3. Danei

Danei Chieftain

I hate to break it to the idealogues among us, but what makes something "a true civilization game" or not is whether it's called Civilization.

They could have made it a side-scrolling platformer, and if they'd called it Civilization, it would be Civilization. What people really mean when they say it's "not a true civilization game" is that it departs from one or more previous Civilizations in ways they do not like.
    Notice that no one (or comparatively few) people are saying it's not a true Civilization because it has hex tiles. The reason: Most people like the hex tiles.

4. Namaspamus

Namaspamus Chieftain

I voted the second option, but by mistake. The first I played was Civ II and I liked it a lot.

5. SuperJay

SuperJay Bending Space and Time

A CHALLENGER APPEARS

ShuShu has posted a poll! It's SUPER EFFECTIVE ;)

6. PawelS

PawelS Ancient Druid

I don't understand anything in this thread :crazyeye:

7. Neofelis Nebulo

Neofelis Nebulo Chieftain

As I tangled in my last post in my AI Warmongers topic, I don't think this game, at least in the current state, is to be called a true Civilization in the first place.

I won't be going into the details once more as you can easily look it up ("AI Warmongers - Funbreaking" Page three or for, the looong post of mine).

To give a short version, this game is by no means a simulation of history like Civilization is meant to be.

8. PawelS

PawelS Ancient Druid

This one I understand, but don't agree. Civilization was never a simulation of history (a frequently used example proving this is the Americans starting in 4000 BC), it was (and is) just a history-inspired strategy game. If you want a simulation of history, play Paradox games.

9. Jharii

Jharii Chieftain

or play life. :)

While I understand the concept behind the thread, I am not sure where it's leading and what it will prove. I liked Civ1 (the first one I played). I like Civ5. I like all in between. I answered the first, but that answer doesn't tell me that Civ5 is or isn't like the others, (even though it obviously is not like any of the others).

I'm probably just overcomplicating it, though. :)

10. timtofly

timtofly One Day

What is the underlying assumption?

If that is the case, Then the only Civilization Game ever created would be Rhyse and Fall. So effectively none of the franchise qualifies directly, but only indirectly.

The assumption then would be that no matter how much people liked or did not like V, or any other renditions, none of them would qualify.

PS: I am not even sure #'s 3 and 4 are logically possible.

11. Purest Warrior

Purest Warrior Chieftain

What happened to:

1. I liked the second version of Civ that I played and it was/was not civ 5

2. All of the above

3. All of the above, except 6?

12. ShuShu62

ShuShu62 Chieftain

The basic assumption I think the orignal quote was making is that civ 5 is clearly dumbed down to appeal to new folks. And the proof offered is that it is drawing new folks.

Combining that logic with this poll, you can clearly conclude that prior versions of civilization were clearly dumbed down because look at all the new folks who liked were brought in by the other releases and enjoyed it.

The other implication was that people who like civ 5, disliked earlier versions because the earlier versions were too complex. At the moment, that is the ONLY response with no votes.

13. ShuShu62

ShuShu62 Chieftain

1. That would be option 3
    2. Tell me, just what is the sound of one hand clapping?
    3. Cool, can you tell me why I needed a sixth option?

:)

14. eric_

eric_ Chieftain

Civilization is meant to simulate the unfolding of A history, not THE History. As noted above, Americans in 4000? Songhai in 2050 AD? Aztecs defeating Spain in cIV?

15. Purest Warrior

Purest Warrior Chieftain

1. oh right :wallbash:
    2. Cla..
    3. Nope. Nor fifth.

16. bryanw1995

bryanw1995 Chieftain

they were around in 4000bc, but they weren't european in origin... you can just pretend that the "americans" are cherokee, sioux, chippewaw, choctaw, commanche, kiowa, etc. btw, I think that every single american indian tribe that had territory in texas also has a city named after it. coincidence? I think not!

17. Jharii

Jharii Chieftain

"Clearly" your description is jaded based upon your opinion of Civ5, so I will wait for the OP's response if he cares to share. Thank you, anyhow.

18. timtofly

timtofly One Day

1. The first version I tried of the first 4 is still my favorite.

2. V is my first and I will stick with it.

3. V is my first and does nothing for me, I might try one of the others though.

4. I have tried the first four and only one of them was worth playing.

5. I disliked the first 4, but V is the one for me.

19. joyous_gard

joyous_gard Chieftain

I liked all versions previous to V? There's a lot of possible options you missed. No vote.

20. SuperJay

SuperJay Bending Space and Time

ShuShu *is* the OP, brah. :p

EDIT: And I really don't understand this thread either. BUT HEY POLLS PROVE STUFF GUYZ :crazyeye: