1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Does the AI become competent at higher difficulties?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by sonicboom12345, Oct 23, 2016.

1. sonicboom12345

sonicboom12345 Chieftain

Played an Egypt builder game where I was attacked by Monty. I had two warriors and two cities without walls, and he came rolling in with 10 dog warriors and slingers with more on the way. He then proceeded to faff about for 15 turns, slaughtering my units and occasionally attacking my city, but always retreating back for no reason -- never finishing me off, even though he easily could have taken those cities off me at the cost of a couple units. At the end of it, he offered me 50g and 4gpt for a peace treaty, and I was left really scratching my head.

I was playing on prince. I've seen people complain about the military AI here, but the rebuttal I've seen thrown around is "Play at a harder difficulty before you start whining."

At what difficulty does the combat AI become competent? Does it become competent? I can bump it up, but I don't know what kind of bonuses the game gives the AI toward growth, production, etc. on the harder difficulties in addition to bumping up the military AI, if indeed it does bump up the military AI. Is there a sweet spot difficulty where the AI isn't braindead at warfare while also not being totally unfair at everything else?

2. Frank327

Frank327 Warlord

The AI is the same on all difficulty levels, except for getting more aggressive (about declaring war) and getting ridiculously big bonuses. On emperor is when they start with an extra settler + builder, on deity they get 3 extra settlers. Also they get boosts to production, combat strength and other things.

3. Acken

Acken Deity

No its disapointing. Its heavily front loaded to give you an annoying early game and then it falls back to bad habits.

4. Rhavanna

Rhavanna Chieftain

Nope. AI is straight incompetent sadly.

Game will probably not be too enjoyable for a few patches or mods...

5. bc1

bc1

No its incompetent even on deity level
    Lets hope for patches

6. Sebmono

Sebmono Chieftain

In my experience I'd say the military problems the AI has has to do with terrain. In maps with lots of flat areas the AI is very dangerous and knows how to build armies. With terrain choke points it freaks out and is incompetent.

7. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

They don't really combat religious victory even on King difficulty. I was converting cities and enraging all the AI (except Gilgamesh and Pedro II, who didn't have religions of their own). I won with no opposition except from Pedro (who was annoyed I recruited 12 more Great People than him).