1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Does the AI cheat about resource locations?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by jihe, Jan 11, 2012.

1. jihe

jihe Prince

Many times I have seen the AI settle near iron/bronze/horse without the techs revealing them. Does the AI actually cheat when considering city locations?

2. AbsoluteZero

AbsoluteZero Deity

I know barb cities cheat when they settle resources they can't see. I don't think the regular AI players cheat.

3. babar

babar King

I believe that when considering a city site the AI takes into account all tile yields, even for future, undiscovered resources. So they know a resource is going to be there, although not what the resource will be. This also applies to the blue circle recommendations for the player, so you can "benefit" from this foresight in the same way as your AI opponents. I'm pretty certain they can't see into the fog of war though, while the barb AI obviously does, so this would explain why barb cities are often better placed.

4. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

I think the AI just settles blue circle sites. I see that all the time.

5. AbsoluteZero

AbsoluteZero Deity

Does the recommended settling spots take into account future undiscovered resources?

6. Keilah

Keilah King

yes, definitely

7. ben-jammin

ben-jammin Emperor

I most often see the AI settle cities right on bronze and iron, which I don't think is what the blue circles suggest? And I don't recall seeing them do this regularly BEFORE BW/IW.

8. Zx Zero Zx

Zx Zero Zx Deity

If you think that is cheating then it's only because they need to "cheat." The AI is ********, it needs all the help it can get.

9. DanF5771

DanF5771 Emperor

Good news -- the AI does NOT know about undiscovered resources when it calculates found values of future city sites.

This is also easy to test: I started a deity game and world buildered a symmetric map. Genghis calculates identical found values for all 4 possible city sites ... and sends his settler to the SW corner of the island, the only one without any hidden resource! Why? Because this is the site that has the smallest x,y co-ordinates and thus gets checked first in the city planning algorithm. Let him start with Animal Husbandry and see what happens then ... :)

Attached Files:

10. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

Thank you very much. Your insights are valuable as allways. ;)

11. babar

babar King

It seems my beliefs were based on unreliable testimony! Thanks DanF5771, for this and every other civ-related confusion you have cleared up over the years!

12. mc-red

mc-red King

It's Civ III AI which knows about resources before they are unlocked.

13. fathertuck

fathertuck Warlord

It's never crossed my mind that the AI's could "see" where the resources are. Based on my experience the AI's settles the most idiotic places they can find. :lol:

14. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

It has some rather wierd preferences for sure.

15. Seraiel

Seraiel Deity

Not really that weird imho. I think it's overall Food, Commerce and Hammers. AI chooses whatever spot gets most of all.

16. coanda

coanda Emperor

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think it has different weightings for those three. Food highest, then hammers, then commerce.

17. Seraiel

Seraiel Deity

It has, Food is weighted highest and not sure in which order Hammers and Commerce are.

18. Gwynnja

Gwynnja Deity

10, 6, 4 I believe

19. Keilah

Keilah King

I constantly see blue circles in spots that seem exactly the same as the adjacent tile, and then in a while I reveal a resource and say, 'ahhh, so that was why'

20. mc-red

mc-red King

It also seems to me the blue circles favour hill city tiles to flatlands.