Does the AI ever build Stonehenge?

Bongo-Bongo

The Master
I find it probably the best of all the wonders, especially early in the game, yet in all the games I have played, no AI civilization has ever built Stonehenge, it has always been built by me. Admitedly, my strategy is to build barracks in my capital first and then either a settler or Stonehenge so I do go for it quickly, but surely the AI should attempt to build it as well.

I've never had a problem beating the AI to stonehenge either, but when I don't go for it, they do. Even the barbarians can and do build stonehenge!

Yeah Ive had Barbs build it too. Trust me, it can be a real kick in the pants to have some poor innocent border city culturally invaded by Barbs. Still, nothing half a dozen swords couldnt fix :D

The AIs don't seem to prioritize building Stonehenge, but they will build it soon enough. If you beeline for it, odds are you will beat them. However, most of the AIs I've seen prioritize for defense/expansion.

I've played about 6 games of CivIV so far, and the AI's only built it once, on Prince difficulty.

I play as Catherine, but still build Stonehenge for the easy Great Prophet points and significant cultural boost in the city. It's just so cheap, and the AI doesn't prioritize it, there's not much reason not to build it, unless going for an Ancient era war. Especially if you have Stone...

It's hard to get any other wonders on difficult handicaps, so the GPP's from Stonehenge can be very useful for getting your first shrine. The culture from the wonder, combined with the free +2 from traits, can make your second city a real menace to the territory of whoever you dropped it next to.

Yzen Danek said:
The AI doesn't know how to use culture, and the whole benefit of SH is cultural.

The AI knows how to use culture. I've even seen them culture bomb a border city before, something I always thought only a human player would ever think of doing. The obvious intent is to expand their borders or swallow a culturally weak city--I had the latter happen to me once after Egypt culture bombed a city right beside my borders!

When I am playing with Loius from France I noticed he culture bombs his established border cities a lot, or just makes them very strong culturally. Though I only see this happen in the middle ages and above. In the early game the AI is ALWAYS concentrating on expansion and defense.

Theodorick said:
The AI knows how to use culture. I've even seen them culture bomb a border city before, something I always thought only a human player would ever think of doing.
I've seen the AI culture bomb as well. Me and Rome were fighting against America, me coming from the west, Rome coming from the east, and our forces met in the middle at Washington, finishing off the civ once and for all. Obviously, there wasn't a whole lot of anybody's culture in the area anymore...until a couple turns later, when the entire area EXPLODED with purple, nearly strangling my own conquests.

Luckily, I has spawned a Great Artist of my own, and counterbombed the area, leaving it about evenly devided :D

Top Bottom