Does the AI Ever Choose Merchant Republic?

steveg700

Deity
I go with merchant republic as my government often enough to be annoyed that the AI always seems to ignore that route and I'm invariably in all-Theocracy world that inflicts a large negative diplo penalty, large enough that it seems reason enough for all AI players to dislike me in my current game as the relatively peaceful Netherlands, regardless of their individual agendas.

I was about to try out "To Arms!" as a golden age bonus, but if I'm already disliked by everyone, what's the point? "Hearbeat of Steam" it is!

Last edited:
I've seen the AI adopt Merchant Republic...usually around the time I'm adopting Democracy. :p

AI seems to go Chieftan -> Roll Dice to Determine Tier 1 Gov -> Theocracy -> Fascism no matter who it is.

I usually see them having an obsession with Monarchy. Theocracy makes sense if you go faith and they love faith-- MR is more of a default thing if you have nothing better to take.

And yea To Arms only makes sense if you going for mass conquest and have some allies. The other two are usually better. I prefer reform the coinage myself.

Top Bottom