1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Does the AI ever fire nukes at anything but cities?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Smokeybear, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Smokeybear

Smokeybear Emperor

Haven't ever seen it happen, personally. Just wondering if they ever do, or even can (coded to only nuke cities?).

2. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

Well; the AI in both Civ II and SMAC were both coded to only nuke (planet bust in case of SMAC) cities. Moreover the city had to have at least one unit present.

Don't know about Civ V; it seems the maps I've been playing on recently don't have much Uranium and I'm able to buy out the city states that have it (if any)

3. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Deity

I was nuked twice - cities were the targets both times, one of which had no units. But the first target had a garrison and an army around it, so it is at least capable of target selection based on the presence of an army.

Though surely it should only nuke cities? After all, in the real world a nuke's not much use as a battlefield weapon since it requires a static target - and any battlefield where you would need to use it would probably be in territory you wouldn't want to nuke (i.e. your own).

Phil

4. Steelyglint

Steelyglint Warlord

I think the AI is worse at nuking than it is at anything else.

5. RD-BH

RD-BH Human

Hmm, seems to build UN before it builds nukes.

6. Smokeybear

Smokeybear Emperor

I've been nuked numerous times, and it was always centered on a city. Whether you happen to have an army surrounding that city in harm's way though, I believe is totally coincidental, and was just your bad luck/poor planning if you got whacked that way. When I know an opponent has nukes, or is likely to have them, I start taking precautionary measures, and not massing up large numbers of units close to any potential target city. More than once, an enemy civ has nuked one of my 'bare' cities near the front, after I'd cleared most of my units out of the danger zone. So they aren't at all factoring in what kinds of units are nearby.

Conversely, if they had a lick of sense, they would have nuked my massed army, which was not around a city. What is more of a threat to them... a city, sitting there unable to hurt them in any way, or 20 units which can easily slaughter their entire civ? Well duh. They ain't got no sense. Just programmed to blast cities closest to them, and ignore the *real* strategic targets. Which is really good for the player, cuz if they used any sense, you'd be toast, and would seldom be able to amass a large army without the risk of losing it to stupid nukes.

Oh, regarding nukes needing a static target and not being much use on a real battlefield... heh. During most of the cold war, tactical nukes were the cornerstone of NATO's battleplan and deterrent strategy, to keep the reds from rolling their hundreds of mechanized and armored divisions out of the East Bloc and giving WW3 a go. Nukes cover quite a sufficient area to wipe out multiple divisions of the enemy in terrain like that of central Europe, where your opponent couldn't spread out a whole lot, and would be funneled through specific attack routes. And smaller nukes and neutron radiation warheads would not be as massively destructive to the country where they were used, as the huge nukes people are familiar with from the old newsreels. Believe me, nukes are an incredibly dangerous and useful modern battlefield weapon. Hopefully we'll never find out just how useful.

7. Starhemberg

Starhemberg Chieftain

They only nuked my cities.
    :borg::lol: