1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Does the AI EVER give in to threats?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Illusion13, Mar 7, 2004.

1. Illusion13

Illusion13 Chieftain

I am at least double the score of my runner up right now... And my power is pretty amazing too... And yet, no one would give into any of my demands... Do they just not give into demands or something?

2. Giotto

Giotto Eagle

I was thinking this earlier as well as the Persians who only had 4 cities to my 60 refused a demand for one gold (just to see if they ever gave in to demands)

I don't think they do.

3. zurichuk

zurichuk Chieftain

yes they do give in, seen it many a time myself, in one game a PBEM partner cleared out every single piece of AI gold this way when he was only trying to provoke them to declare. I think you have to be well ahead.

4. lbhhh

lbhhh Chieftain

The AI will give in to demands, although not frequently. I can usually get them to cough up a little gold. On the lower dificulty levels they'll sometimes even give up a city. Whenever an AI gives in to my demands, I usually attack if they're weak enough to give in to blackmail, then its a good time to strike.

5. SuperBeaverInc.

SuperBeaverInc. Groucho

I have gotten stuff through threats before, but it is usuallly something small.

6. The_Unforgiven

The_Unforgiven KoEkWaUs

When you attack them and OWN them, they'll even give in to a threat for multiple cities. They'll say "We don't seem to have much choice" or something like that

7. widdowmaker

widdowmaker Maker of Widdows

Play regicide, move in and capture ONLY the surrounding cites of the capital. Then place units in order to box their king in. Once the king is boxxed demand ANYTHing. They will usaly give in because if they lose the king they get wiped out. And survival is the AI's #1 priority.

8. Ville

Ville Chieftain

You can get cities if you demand them from weaker civ.

9. Nocturno

Nocturno Chieftain

In a game yesterday i was getting anything i wanted out of the arabs.. it was amazing i had confined them to a small part of the continent from my early city placement. My empire grew very large while theirs stayed very small.. the area they inhabited was completely covered in jungle and marsh lands so they had very few cities.

I got around 8 or so straight rounds of demands out of them before infuriating them. I then went to war with them and crushed all but their capitol leaving that to them as some small sign of mercy.. :D

It may be common for lots of people but i have never been able to demand something and get it 8 turns in a row.

10. #1 Person

#1 Person The Cow

Only for a peace treaty in my experiance. Maybe on the easier levels.

11. #1 Person

#1 Person The Cow

Only for a peace treaty in my experiance. Maybe on the easier levels.

12. silver 2039

silver 2039 Chieftain

When your military is bigger. Before I'm about to go to war I usally demand something from them and they usually give in.

13. warpstorm

warpstorm Yumbo? Yumbo!

Being only twice as powerful won't get you much through threats. Change that to 10 times as powerful (power, not score) and you may have better luck.

Score is not a real reflection of power as one of the biggest components in score is the number of happy people.

14. AxWolF

AxWolF Chieftain

Yeah they are stupid.
    Persia threatened me, and when i said no, he declrared war to me. So I invaded Persia as Germany very quickly (around 1500 i gues), i took almost all his cities including his capital, and left him with 5 more cities, 2 were colonies in the other continent, and 3 were just under me, but i forgave him cause i was in democracy and my people hates war, and i was out of troops. After i got those cities my civ raised very quickly, and around 1700 all my cities (15) had all the improvements (till factory, hospital) i monopolized the wonders, i had an income of 900 per turn, 80% research, and around 7000 gold. I had cavalrys, infantry and artillery (a lot, and a cavalry army) and he had like 10 cavalrys and 10 riflemans. So i threatened him to give me incense and he said no, he even wanted spices, silks, andonemore for exchange, so wtf is with him? i am tottally gona overrun his citys and he refuses such a small petition.

15. Admiral_Tarton

Admiral_Tarton Tactical Enforcer

I forced an AI to give me their territory map
    (this was in the sengoku Conquest though)

16. subbss

subbss "The Animal Guy!"

During peace the AI has never agreed to anything but after a long war where the AI is backed against the wall and hardly has any units left the AI will give me anything for peace, including several sities, all thier gold, thier world map, any techs thay have, and several gold per turn.

17. CIVPhilzilla

CIVPhilzilla Reagan Republican

Either a weak civ or a gracious civ. If u demand stuff from gracious civs they say, "We're glad to be of help and hope we can ask u for a favor later on." HA!

18. The_Unforgiven

The_Unforgiven KoEkWaUs

don't think a gracious civ will give you one of their cities... Otherwise, they'd be VERY grateful...

19. kvasir

kvasir King Jaakot IV

20. kvasir

kvasir King Jaakot IV

yep, had that happened before, i was so pissed that the AI took the territory i was just about to settle and I demanded they hand over the city, and it gave in. :)

Maybe it's easier for a city the AI just founded?