1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Does the AI get unfair advantages?

Discussion in 'CivRev - General Discussions' started by Ba5man, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Ba5man

Ba5man Chieftain

Because I was playing on King difficulty, and while I just got my riflemen (and all 4 my cities were producing science with libraries), the enemy civ already had fighter planes, and BOMBERS a few turns later. What the hell? Do they get unfair advantages? If yes, it pretty much makes single player pointless, as only multiplayer will be fair then, and it's REALLY hard to find players.

2. Killer of Hopes

Killer of Hopes Chieftain

Deity AI is better than you. How to overcome this? Get better than them. Play Emperor, try out different strategies, and just keep practicing. The AI knows EXACTLY how to play the game. The micromanage their cities very well.

Or play Blitzkrieg.

3. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

Well in warfare you get an unfair advantage over the AI. They're pretty horrible at coordinating an attack. Mostly because they often dont see the importance of armies in attacking and defending cities. I mean, why attack my city with an archer army with a single cat? Build an army and you actually might take the city!!

I havent played a deity game yet but on emperor and below the AI often fails on this one.

4. pileofnuts

pileofnuts Chieftain

It seems to me that the AI get a bonus in tech speed on Deity. I would guess this is also true to some degree for Emperor. On King the difficulty level description suggests that there's an even playing field.

On deity the game helps out the AI by spawning units for them in the fog of war. It's not apparent if these are new units or if they are allready existing units that are teleported to the position. In any case, it's important on Deity to watch out if you have any tiles covered by fog behind the front lines. I've almost lost my capital because I had a small stretch of fog in the middle of my lands where enemy armies spawned.

5. dennis580

dennis580 Chieftain

Sounds like they built Oxford University and got those from it.

On King difficulty all things are equal. The AI doesn't get any advantages

Deity AI is better than you

Except he said he is was playing on King

6. Nelson1189

Nelson1189 Chieftain

This doesn't just happen on Diety; I've had it happen on Emperor and maybe King too (and I know there was teleporting involved because I had my own island surrounded by a thin strip of sea next to where they appeared, despite me having both entrances to this area guarded by Cruisers).

I'm not certain, but they also appear to be able to have units spawned/teleported into ships. I've been in a situation where an enemy boat has been near one of my cities, and every 5 turns or so a legion army would pop out; either they're being created there, or the AI is so stupid that it doesn't appreciate the advantage of attacking with 5 armies instead of 1.

They also seem to cheat with regard to spies; AFAIK, spies are meant to be invisible (I don't see the AIs when they attack me), yet if I have an unguarded spy near an enemy civ, they always send units way out of their way to capture them, indicating that the AI gets another advantage.

7. Killer of Hopes

Killer of Hopes Chieftain

I didn't see that. Sorry 'bout the misinformation.

8. exclamatio

exclamatio Chieftain

then King AI is better than him :p

9. civoholic

civoholic Chieftain

In the demo, on warlord, the Aztec got 2 caravans before i got one, a little suspicous