Does the AI ignore stuff for ages then `follows` me?

Socratatus

Emperor
I`ll explain...

I`ve been on a largish landmass for a long while. No one else is near me save for a couple of CS`. I have met all the other 20 Civs though. However, the map of the world is still a mystery to me. Just too busy building up and securing my 5 city continent Empire.

Finally, at around 1974- Modernish Times, I feel I have the chance to explore around and uncover the rest of the world.

With new scouts and a battleship, I start skimming the southern ice areas. Ah ha! A ruin, that NO OTHER CIVS have come across in over 2000 years. And here are some barbarians and another ruin no one else has seen.

Suddenly, I find myself being shadowed closely by a Polynesian ship and a couple of other Civ ships. They just happen to be near this Ruins and new barbarian encampment.

3000 years, the whole time of the game and only NOW, when I find a ruin and something new, the OTHER CIVS appear in the same place? It`s like they`ve been sat doing nothing waiting for me to explore before they do...??

I suspect this is some gamey thing to make the Player have something to find, even way later into the game when it should all have been found by now?:crazyeye:

Just a coincidence.

Must be my paranoia then.

We share that paranoia. I've seen a couple of other players notice this too, AI civs generally care less about ruins when you don't know they're there. Same with barbarians, they'll happily ignore that camp unless you've killed the guards with an archer in which case they'll happily steal it from you.

They probably sent units there many times. Problem is, they sent one at a time and it got killed by a swarm of barbs every time.

So, no, we don't share that paranoia. :)

We share that paranoia. I've seen a couple of other players notice this too, AI civs generally care less about ruins when you don't know they're there. Same with barbarians, they'll happily ignore that camp unless you've killed the guards with an archer in which case they'll happily steal it from you.

YES! I`ve seen exactly this!

Thankyou!

I love stumbling on to a deserted island and finding a barb camp with 4 AI settlers captured near by. Like some Civ just kept sending settlers into the same barb camp repeatedly.

You know... back when barbs actually captured civilian units. Seems like they completely ignore them now.

I love stumbling on to a deserted island and finding a barb camp with 4 AI settlers captured near by. Like some Civ just kept sending settlers into the same barb camp repeatedly.

You know... back when barbs actually captured civilian units. Seems like they completely ignore them now.

It still happens, they just have other priorities now. They seem most focused on protecting their encampment and pillaging salt mines. :mad:

But I wouldn't really be surprised if the AI doesn't take into account that it has already lost settlers in a location when sending more, that would be pretty complex.

Top Bottom