Does the AI learn from its mistakes?

theguy8882

Warlord
I've been playing this game as Arabia (on king), and after I took Gandhi's capital France got angry and they denounced me. A few turns later he declared war on me and his attempts at an attack failed miserably. I had allied with two city states that were next to each so that they separated me from everyone else on the continent (except Gandhi) and when Napoleon tried to march towards my lands his units would just get attacked by the two city states and his units had to march through rough trerrain so they were getting bombarded by cities getting shot by 4 crossbowmen and two of my camel archers. After his troops were destroyed we made peace, but he declared war soon after the peace treaty expired and his units were destroyed again. I thought that he learned his lesson, but he still declared war after the peace treaty expired. My question is does the AI learn from its mistakes, and is it just Napoleon or everyone?

Note: earlier I posted this in the civ 3 forums by accident.

Its just a warmonger being a warmonger ie. his personality.

If you stack the odds against him (have two or three different runaways or major powers at war with him, keep killing his armies, show up massive tech or UU forces at his capital's doorstep), he would be singing a different tune than "lol I want all your lands nao!!!"

The only way this would end is if either one of you gets conquered. He won't accept otherwise.

An AI learning from its mistakes would be quite a feat. I'm quite sure they don't.

No chance. I think it was Catherine the one game who would send like a dozen troops and get whipped. She didn't ask for peace, but every so often another dozen would come and get wiped up again by keshikmania.

I don't think they do.

I think certain changes in the game may alter their stance against you. For instance he may stop declaring war on you when you have a superior military than him. He will then just talk smack on you. I've noticed when you have the top military in the world people don't screw with you. They only denounce you.

If the Civ devs developed AI that "learned" they'd win a nobel prize. It would involve solving the "P versus NP problem"...

...and if someone did that, the first applications wouldn't likely be in a video game.

yeah, i wish that dev's would have been on the ball contacting MIT to see how to incorporate this into all versions of civ period.

While it might be interesting to have that MIT AI in the game, what the game needs is not AI that can learn or beat you in the game, a game needs a fun AI above all.

Soren Johnson has already mentioned that the challenge is in making a computer opponent made to lose:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJcuQQ1eWWI

Now this isn't necessarily too impossible to do (says the very naive illustrator), I remember the rudimentary AI from Civ 3 as a very fun to play with in diplomacy. Maybe it had that Soren Johnson magic touch.

well I'm talking about normal civ AI not the Ai that learned how to play.

I think the Civ series is quite a bit too complex. The few games I'm aware of with self-learning behavior are orders of magnitude simpler.

Now what does happen though in games where the sdk is released is that groups teach the AI how to do the things the human are doing that the initial developers didn't think of.

Top Bottom