Does the AI (non-barb) ever pillage?

Yes and yes.

But I've found it to be a rare occurance. They are usually too busy stealing workers/attacking units/attacking cities to do this, in my experience.

Yeah they do. Especially that unprotected iron or aluminium mine there... oops, your swordsmen and rocket artillery are now fighting at -50%!

I'm not sure if it varies by difficulty, but I have sure seen them pillage my mines. Completely obliterates my army when they do it.

Also, question, I've never tried it, but can you pillage a road tile? For example, could I cut off the capital from the rest of their empire by just pillaging a road? Can't believe I've never tried it out for myself in the game...

I have seen certain civs seem a bit more likely to do so then others. In particular the mongols, the huns and surprisingly the greek. They mostly seem to do so if they see they cannot reach/directly attack a city or unit, they just take one step closer, pillage and then wait at that spot.

I'm not sure if it varies by difficulty, but I have sure seen them pillage my mines. Completely obliterates my army when they do it.

Also, question, I've never tried it, but can you pillage a road tile? For example, could I cut off the capital from the rest of their empire by just pillaging a road? Can't believe I've never tried it out for myself in the game...
Yes you can and its quite handy as well. I've almost never done it (because breaking down someones road could also affect your conquering progress), but I remember one time bullying China with it. They had a few tiles that were not in their border but had a road through them towards other cities. Pillaged them, and held my units on those spots to block repairs. The consequence was that I wrecked their economy and that proved to be handy later when I decided to attack them :)

When you whittle them down, they retreat around 4-5 squares. Once they heal up they'll then pillage if they're still on your land. But it is rare.

They are the best to create farming zones for your ranged units ie. Composite Bows/Chu-Ko-Nu

Very true. Problem comes when you (me) are at war with 2+ neighbors and you (me) didn't properly prepare. On the whole, I really love these things.

I've seen the AI civilizations pillage strategic resources and destroy fishing boats.

Considering how much the AI used to pillage in Civ IV, I'm surprised they don't do more, especially now that pillaged improvements are so much easier to repair.

While they do take less time in general....they don't take the one turn that an enormous stack of workers could fix it in.

Don't mean to nitpick.;)

I have seen AI scouts kidnapping your workers (delete them actually).

I have now seen AI using scouts offensively.

Spoiler :

Whoa....how did that happen? I didn't think they could attack non-barbs.

Apparently they do now. Multiplayer players do it all the time, especially in early game when they get rushed.

Now if they would actually use them to steal workers upon DOWing or pillage un-bordered roads...

Top Bottom