[GS] Does the AI only consider a military strength indicator, or also the location and type of my units

Oldlamehand

Chieftain
If the AI considers declaring war on me, will it take into account how well the particular site is defended? Or is it enough to have units on the other side of the map as a deterrent because they increase my military strength ranking?
Or, if I want to provoke the AI to declare war on me, will the seemingly undefended border city play a role in their decision, even though my overall military strength is greater?

Last edited:
I think it's just the strength. They do it every turn, and will take time to move their units towards you before declaring. If you become too strong in that time gap they will change plans. Also if you core army is strong ai will never declare even if you are overextended.

This might be anecdotal but I've even noticed AI were deterred from making land attacks when I even produced a few naval units since they count towards your total military strength.

So far, I've only played Civilization VI a few times, so I don't know AI behavior very well. But in Civilization 4, I noticed that sometimes the position of troops played a role. For example In one game in Civilization IV, Victoria declared war on me.
She attacked with a small stack of units and took my weakly protected border city. I loaded save and the only thing I did differently was move one strong unit to that border city. And then she didn't declare war on me. Civilization 4 used the same random seed after loading, unless the player set otherwise. So the position had to play a role.
So I wonder if something like this is happening in Civilization VI as well.

So far, I've only played Civilization VI a few times, so I don't know AI behavior very well. But in Civilization 4, I noticed that sometimes the position of troops played a role. For example In one game in Civilization IV, Victoria declared war on me.
She attacked with a small stack of units and took my weakly protected border city. I loaded save and the only thing I did differently was move one strong unit to that border city. And then she didn't declare war on me. Civilization 4 used the same random seed after loading, unless the player set otherwise. So the position had to play a role.
So I wonder if something like this is happening in Civilization VI as well.

Works the same as on the Civ IV. I had the same situation. AI suddenly declared war on me, the city was not protected at all. I loaded the game a few turns earlier, I built a wall and bought an archer and the AI has not declared war on me anymore.

Top Bottom