Does the AI use nukes?

Morganjs1

Chieftain
Just wondering if anybody has ever been nuked by the AI or seen them nuke each other?

If yes do they do it without provocation or only after you (the player) has used nukes?

Well after observing some AI-only games. I would say:

- The AI builds Manhatten Project very late
- I have never seen an AI building a nuke
- If I give an AI nukes with world builder, it uses them

never seen them use nukes. But i have read how many think nukes are under powered- not sure i agree, 2 nukes hit a city and it is pretty much wiped out in so far as units.

Yes, but everyone has SDI as sson as nukes are available, and you'll need 8 nukes to 2 hits. Considering how long they are to build, that's not interesting. And if the guy has built shelters they will be even less effective (-75%).

I've never seen an AI use nukes. But in the only game where I've used some, they all vote against the resolution of the UN, so I think they will if provocated.

AI only uses nukes when you used them first. It's a sort of revenge. But most of the time they are unefficient with SDI

I don't know if they build nukes, but if you give them nukes, they definitely use them. Mao went to war against Cyrus, so I gave him 20 nukes. Next thing I know the world is a desert. He didn't use them intelligently though; I think he rained all 20 down on just two cities.

The Ai Uses Nukes constantlky if gifted them, tested it in WB.
So do the barbarians :p i dont reccomend you try this, but massive explosions everywhere and Barbarian (Yes i know its wrong, check the game)has launched an ICBM, and it explodes!! covering teh screen is something you should see at least once.

As far a si know, the Ai doesnt build nukes.
BTW Nukes are good if u are ahead in tech and attacked, hit major cities while builidng up men.

yeah, i've once "tested" what happens if you gift the barbarians some nukes. i gave them 50 icbms and hit "next turn"... it lasted like forever till the turn was over. when it was on me again at first i didn't noticed anything. but than i saw some little yellow glowing tiles near one of my borders.
i reopened WB and saw the world in ashes. the barbs had nuked every single city except mine :D

I've never seen AI use a nuke, but then I haven't even seen them build any. they scramble to build SDI asap though.

For a reversal, try what I did:

Build Manhattan about the same time as the UN... build a bunch of nukes, then...and this only works if you control the UN...propose the Anti-Nuclear Proliferation Resolution. This has always passed in any game I've played with AI. If it passes...and i'll wager it almost certainly will...you will then become the only player in the game who possesses nuclear weapons, albeit a finite supply.

AI must be able to use nukes! i havn't seen AI nuking around but i havn't play so many games. but if AI can't use ICBM, it has to be fixed in a further patch!!
by the way i think nukes are quite efficient by their own but bomb shellters + SDI make them ridiculous...
SDI building cost should be highly increased
shellters protections should be decreased (from 75% to 50%)

Well, ICBMs should simply make the surrounding tiles worthless, thus making the cities dwindle in size even if the whole populace was in bomb shelters when the thing exploded. And some radiation clouds spreading with the winds would make it even more effective...

ICBMs should be a threat like they are in the real world, and, if used, they should really destroy the whole world (when enough of them are used).

NOTE: I've never seen any nuclear explosions in Civ4... I should perhaps try some at some point... :/

ICBMs do make the surrounding tiles worthless, until they're cleared out by workers if the victim has ecology (I think, it might be another tech). And more ICBM you fire, more tiles turn into a desert by global warming soon after.

But SDI and nuclear shelters still make them unworthy IMO.

Never seen the AI build nuclear weapons, although to be fair they never feature much (so far) in any of my CIV4 games.

In Civ3 I'd always have a half dozen ICBM's by the time I won (or lost!), it was always fun to launch them after the game stopped scoring as a finale - I'm sure loads of us did this!

Just don't get there with Civ4, spend 25 turns building Manhattan Project for Gandhi to get Nukes banned - Hello?

Like that idea of going into WB and give the Barbs some. Hee Hee.

I was nuked few times (4 cities in raw). The story was:

I was nuking (Exavier MOD) with Tactical Nukes Russian forces and cities. After 40 turns China declared war on me. Their first move was - 4 nukes on my biggest cities.

Orion66 said:
I was nuked few times (4 cities in raw). The story was:

I was nuking (Exavier MOD) with Tactical Nukes Russian forces and cities. After 40 turns China declared war on me. Their first move was - 4 nukes on my biggest cities.

For real? This is the first time ive heard something of that sort.:confused:

Yes that is true. I think AI uses nukes when he is VERY angry at you and you nuked AI before. I had -25 relations with Chinese and Russians

So the AI is willing to USE nukes, it just doesn't like to build them it seems.
May conduct an experiment in my current game to see if I can annoy everybody enough so they try it.

But it was in a mod, not in the original game. Nukes are absolutely useless now. I hope a patch makes SDI a much, much later tech...

Top Bottom