Does the American Civ make you uneasy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

insaneweasel

Prince
First of all, as an American citizen, I love this country and am proud of the role it has had in history.

However, I don't like the idea of Americans as a civilization that can be played before the renaissance/industrial eras. The U.S.A. was stared by unique circumstances-old world immigrants and natives in a "new world." American immigrants were never part of an ancient tribe, clan, etc.

I don't see how a nation like America could have come about in 4000 BC. Because of this, I don't like the idea of playing as or against the Americans as...unsettling. Does anyone else have this problem?

I think it's groovy there is american civilization, even for the sakes of having an arch enemy.

I also think it would be far-out if HG Well's sci-fi Martian civilization invading earth triggered at around 2012 or something like that.

:goodjob:

First of all, as an American citizen, I love this country and am proud of the role it has had in history.

However, I don't like the idea of Americans as a civilization that can be played before the renaissance/industrial eras. The U.S.A. was stared by unique circumstances-old world immigrants and natives in a "new world." American immigrants were never part of an ancient tribe, clan, etc.

I don't see how a nation like America could have come about in 4000 BC. Because of this, I don't like the idea of playing as or against the Americans as...unsettling. Does anyone else have this problem?

It's a bit odd but it's better than not having America.

You realize that the entirety of the in-game history is hypothetical, right? This discrepancy you've observed is neither the only one nor outside of the game's premise. There's no problem with America as it is.

No, not really. No more unsettling than a Roman empire with tanks or Aztecs that build the Great Pyramids :)

You can always just choose not to have America in your games or simply start the game at the renaissance/industrial era.

Problem solved.

It's a bit odd but it's better than not having America.

It's no more "odd" than the possibility of England being a landlocked, theocratic dictatorship founded in 4,000 BC. The in-game history has no ties to real world history. It is hypothetical.

I actually do have a bit of the problem with this, though I recognize it's completely silly. I'm not sure why but an American warrior always seems weirder than an Aztec Tank. I realize that there's no real way of getting around it, though. At least in Civ5 you can adopt Liberty as your early social policy (an American feeling SP) rather than in Civ4 where it made sense to use Hereditary Rule unless you built....... the Pyramids.

Early Americans represent the Native American tribes before their population "significantly changed" from competing, European cultures and European warring ;/

First of all, as an ______ citizen, I love this country and am proud of the role it has had in history.

However, I don't like the idea of ______ as a civilization that can be played before the renaissance/industrial eras. The _____ was stared by unique circumstances. _______ were never part of an ancient tribe, clan, etc.

I don't see how a nation like _____ could have come about in 4000 BC. Because of this, I don't like the idea of playing as or against _______ as...unsettling. Does anyone else have this problem?

Fill in the blanks folks! Any civilization in this game will work! :D

First of all, as an ______ citizen, I love this country and am proud of the role it has had in history.

However, I don't like the idea of ______ as a civilization that can be played before the renaissance/industrial eras. The _____ was stared by unique circumstances. _______ were never part of an ancient tribe, clan, etc.

I don't see how a nation like _____ could have come about in 4000 BC. Because of this, I don't like the idea of playing as or against _______ as...unsettling. Does anyone else have this problem?

Fill in the blanks folks! Any civilization in this game will work! :D
First of all, as a Chinese citizen, I love this country and am proud of the role it has had in history.

However, I don't like the idea of China as a civilization that can be played before the renaissance/industrial eras. China was started by unique circumstances. China were never part of an ancient tribe, clan, etc.

I don't see how a nation like China could have come about in 4000 BC. Because of this, I don't like the idea of playing as or against China as...unsettling. Does anyone else have this problem?

Nope, just doesn't work. :sad:

I always thought the idea of having ANY civilization exist in the year 4000 as a bit strange and historically inaccurate. I thought it would be a cool idea to begin a game of Civ as a neutral tribe with no civilization attachment. Then, as you progress in the game based on your decisions, your civ adopts a name/culture (like if you build a lot of ships, your civ BECOMES England, and adopts the English special ability.... or if you like buying tiles, you BECOME America. etc).

Or... if we make it totally hypothetical, you start off as a neutral civ, and then you get unique abilities from a combination of different civs. Maybe you build a lot of ancient seige weapons and the suddenly unlock a techonology giving you the BALLISTA, but because you're also into building wonders, you get the Egyptian +20% wonder building increase, etc.

Who's down wit this, yo? Some modder should start modding this right away. I'll step in and take all the credit at the end, though. :)

I always thought the idea of having ANY civilization exist in the year 4000 as a bit strange and historically inaccurate. I thought it would be a cool idea to begin a game of Civ as a neutral tribe with no civilization attachment. Then, as you progress in the game based on your decisions, your civ adopts a name/culture (like if you build a lot of ships, your civ BECOMES England, and adopts the English special ability.... or if you like buying tiles, you BECOME America. etc).

Or... if we make it totally hypothetical, you start off as a neutral civ, and then you get unique abilities from a combination of different civs. Maybe you build a lot of ancient seige weapons and the suddenly unlock a techonology giving you the BALLISTA, but because you're also into building wonders, you get the Egyptian +20% wonder building increase, etc.

Who's down wit this, yo? Some modder should start modding this right away. I'll step in and take all the credit at the end, though. :)

Personally, I think America is an underdeveloped "nation", it is still too young and roots very weakly settled with unbalanced culture. It's more of an empire, like the roman or any other giant empire in the past history...And ALL empires fall, time has yet to mold it into a solid caste. ;)

That's an awesome idea!

Good idea but I'm three steps ahead of you on that one:p. I started a thread with a similar idea and it evolved to what you are talking about. I've started a potential tech tree to do basically the same thing. If you help make the mod once the game comes out then you can still get some credit though:goodjob:.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom