Does the Civ You Play As Affect Which Opponents You Get?

Daily Barrage

Chieftain
95% of the time I play as the Inca. Practically every game I have the opponents will contain the Aztec or the Japanese, usually both. There are some leaders I've never seen and about half of them have only appeared once.

The other Civs that appear way more than others are: Mali, Zulu, Ethiopian, Darius, Portugal, Isabella, Catherine, Sumerian, Khmer & Ghandi :rolleyes: !

I'm quite familiar with all these slags but the other Leaders\Civs are total strangers. :(

I know you can do a custom game but I'm not really into that.

I do tend to see the same characters in my game, but I just ascribe it to chance.... they're never exactly the same!

95% of the time I play as the Inca. Practically every game I have the opponents will contain the Aztec or the Japanese, usually both. There are some leaders I've never seen and about half of them have only appeared once.

The other Civs that appear way more than others are: Mali, Zulu, Ethiopian, Darius, Portugal, Isabella, Catherine, Sumerian, Khmer & Ghandi :rolleyes: !

I'm quite familiar with all these slags but the other Leaders\Civs are total strangers. :(

I know you can do a custom game but I'm not really into that.

Wow... Thats a good point. I swear to god that I am ALWAYS next to Shaka if I play Hannibal... So does civ 4 still give "geographical" start locations like civ 3 did, where the Americans would start next to the Iriquois if applicable, etc. Was that an option or was it default, I forget... That would make sense because Carthage would be the closest thing to Shaka if Egypt and Ethiopia weren't in the game....

I've wondered that myself. I don't know but since I've gotten BTS, I've played Gandhi, Pericles, Roosevelt, and I keep getting Cyrus next to me. I also wonder if the difficulty level makes a difference. I moved up to Emperor and suddenly I get Caesar, Hannibal and Darius, all three of which I rarely see.

I've wondered that myself. I don't know but since I've gotten BTS, I've played Gandhi, Pericles, Roosevelt, and I keep getting Cyrus next to me. I also wonder if the difficulty level makes a difference. I moved up to Emperor and suddenly I get Caesar, Hannibal and Darius, all three of which I rarely see.

And Caesar is such a kunt on Emporer, isnt he?

I ALWAYS play against King Louis and he usually does quite well in the BTS games I've played

There's ALWAYS the same Civs in my games as well: Ragnar, Hannibal, Tokugawa, and Saladin; and other frequent ones: Montezuma, Isabella, Zara Yaqob.

It seems the Civs with only one leader are always in my games.

Hi

I know in Civ3 there were "culturally linked" starts like China would ALWAYS spawn near Japan or Germany ALWAYS next to France which was ALWAYS close to Britain and so on. So it concept the Im sure civ people aware of but even in Civ3 it was option you can turn off. And since it not an option in this version it probably all just random but just SEEMS like one civ or the other show em more. Just like it always SEEMS like wheneevr I play industrious leader with plans to make a big wonder filled empire stone AND marble never anywhere near me hehe.

So unless there something in the code like "and 'read players mind then mess with it" then 'giggle evilly' end/". it probably all random I bet hehe

Kaytie

i believe your civ effects your starting terrain and the civs they choose, not 100 percent but with a higher priority.

Monty always seems to be my neighbor, and that insufferable cretin Zara Yaqob manages to darken my world every time.

Nice theory. Thinking about it, whenever I play as Justinian, most of the time I have Isabella as my neighbour. And we've both founded religions.

So, as you can imagine, we're not the best of friends.

I always see Ghandi in every singal game i play. I only had asoka in one game ever. and that was multiplayer.

Asoka almost never apears, kinda strange. I also see Shaka, hannibal, Washington, Mehmed and Alex way to often.

Maybe the game is just using enemies with a suitable trait to your own trait?

Well if it is random which civs are in each game then civs with only one leader will appear to be more frequent because whenever that particular civ is chosen at random that leader will always be present. For example, you're 3x more likely to see Mali or Izzy than you are Catherine or Stalin or Peter, even though the chances that the Mali civ or the Russian civ are in the game are equal. This could contribute to the perception that it isn't random.

I usually play as Stalin or Cathy, and in almost all of my games I have Mali and Ethiopia. I also get Portugal and Sumeria quite often.

Wait, Stalin is a leader in the game? I get Cathy every single time. I play with 16 civs on a huge map, so it's the leaders that i've never seen since BTS... (played 10 or so games) and i've never, ever seen Alexander (since Warlords of course). The above posts reference him and I realized I forgot what he even looks like. Come to think of it, Hammurabi is in every game also.

Top Bottom