1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Does the computer build United Nations and Manhattan project?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by Dragonator, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Dragonator

Dragonator Chieftain

First of all: I'm a newbie. This is the 2nd scenario i have seriously played. I played a couple of times before at a friend for a couple of hours at a time.

Usually when a competing civilization starts building a wonder you get the message that they started building it. Well now I am playing at regent level with Persia and the Americans and Babylonians have "fission" that allows you to build the Manhattan project and the United Nations. Or at least i think they do. But they still don't build them? Is it possible or would they start building them the moment they had the technology. I ask you this because if they would build the Manhattan project they would give everyone else the ability to build nuclear weapons. And I am reluctant do give them that ability now because Babylon is mad at me and tried to cancel our mutual protection act which is the only thing stopping them from invading and conquering my entire empire because I only have a few units located at our borders. I disbanded the rest of my army because it costs too much to maintain under democracy. If I build the Manhattan project I will gain points but that would raise the danger level on a global level. It's the year 1800 and we still haven't had a world war. In fact the last war was in the 1300s or so. The world is actually almost a utopia. But I'm afraid that won't be for long. The Americans are trying to expand and have no place to go. Also If I will build the United Nations I am not sure I will be the one that will win as I have always tried to stay out of other people's wars. What should I do in order to win with the United Nations or at least no to lose. Can I hold elections and not participate or do something so even if I am not elected continue the game without loosing and try to win by other means like the space race or through points or any other way?

2. Turner

Turner Chieftain Retired Moderator

Yes, the AI does indeed build the United Nations. I've taken that city to prevent a diplo loss before.

As to how to win, that really depends on your situation. I've found the best, almost a guaranteed win, is to be at war with your main opponent. And make sure everyone else is at war against him with you. The AI will not vote for a UN candidate when it's at war with them.

I generally build or capture the UN, and don't hold the vote unless I'm absolutely sure everyone will vote for me....

3. vmxa

vmxa Chieftain

One reason they may not have started the UN is that the option for victory was not enabled.

If that is not the case, how long have they had the tech? If they just got it, they may not switch any builds and wait until they are complete to start the wonders.

In the case of the MP, it is just a matter of time until it is build and the doors are open. This does not mean they will use them, they tend to hold off until they feel they must or they are invincible.

It is not uncommon for them to have nukes and never use them. Use MAD and have as many as they do. Of course uranium is needed and they may not have it or have it connected.

4. DBear

DBear unbeliever

In one of my recent games, the AI built the UN when it was the only other civ left besides myself!:lol: Stupid AI.

5. Ashlord

Ashlord Steeler Fanatic

Maybe the AI was going to vote for you!!:lol: :lol: :lol: It isn't called the AS for nothing.:crazyeye:

6. Dragonator

Dragonator Chieftain

Come to think of it I don't think they have the tech to build the UN because when I tried to trade some tech they had the other advanced techs but not this one. but that is just a matter of time. Now I guess I should just build it asap and not hold the vote. The problem is as I said that I don't have a strong military. I have a few knights and cavaleries but my main enamy is an empire that is right next to me and has a super army. I tried to build up an invasion force but after about 15 turns I ran out of money and didn't have a big enough army yet. And of course they built a few nukes by the time I was ready so I loaded the savedgame before the Rearmament.

7. Spartanism

Spartanism Chieftain

Nukes are very expensive to build and take time. I have gon eto war with nuclear powers and defeated them and they never fire them at me. Regardless if they do most of the time they will launch them at one of there own cities that you have flipped.

8. Fatal Exception

Fatal Exception Chieftain

By the time you get to nukes you should have a very highly developed core of extremely productive cities capable of pounding them out in relatively few turns.

Of course, you can produce a lot of normal units in the same time. But if you have a large conventional army already and are a 'runaway player' civ, there's no reason not to build nukes for deterrence purposes.

9. SimpleMonkey

SimpleMonkey Chieftain

Besides, it's always fun to save a game and then nuke one of your neighbors into radioactive dust, just to see what happens. :devil: The nukes sound so cool when they take off from your silos.