1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Does the game feel complete to you now?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bonafide11, Mar 8, 2019.

?

Does Civ VI feel complete now?

1. Yes, time to start thinking about Civ VII.

12 vote(s)
    9.6%
  2. No, we need another expansion pack!

113 vote(s)
    90.4%
  1. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

After Civ IV: Beyond the Sword and Civ V: Brave New World, the games felt complete to me. I never expected a third expansion for either of them just because the games seemed too full. I was a bit skeptical that the rumors that we'd see a third expansion for Civ VI were true, but after spending some time with it, it still just doesn't feel "complete". It's great, don't get me wrong, and it has a lot of features, but for some reason I just feel like there is still some more to do with the game before they can call it "complete" and move onto Civ VII. It just doesn't feel like a fully finished product to me yet. I would be very disappointed if this is as far advanced as the game gets because I think the game could really use a third expansion to make it fully complete.

I'm also curious when we'll find out if they're done with Civ VI. I imagine if they start releasing DLC's for it, it may be a sign that no more expansion packs are coming. Until the or we get an announcement, we can just hope.

What does everyone think?

2. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Warlord

I think there are enough features. There are balance and AI issues though.

3. Haig

Haig Warlord

Been playing the game almost every day since GS was released and I actually feel I dont NEED new big features, more like balancing current mechanics, adding new leaders and civs etc.

But if there's 3rd expansion I would pretty likely buy it as Fxs has been doing stellar work.

acluewithout likes this.
  4. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

If this was where Civ VI ended, I'd be a little disappointed. I don't think a lot of new features are needed but I'd really love to see them do more with some of the ones already in place - particularly disasters, climate change and ages. A third expansion focusing on adding some of the key Civs/leaders still missing, beefing up the game as it is and perhaps adding a couple of features/mechanics like economic victory, disease and corporations and that would be enough.

Cedbird77, Julia97 and acluewithout like this.
  5. Wizard-Bob

Wizard-Bob Always remember to Find Your FUN!

I am not ready for Civ VII yet. Way too much to do in VI yet :cool:

Cedbird77 likes this.
  6. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I like the "feel" of Civ VI with 2 expansions better than Civ V with 2 expansions. Civ V felt like it had Feature Bloat. Perhaps because some were done poorly.

I think there is room for more. Plus I really want to see the roster hit 50 civs.

CivLuvah, Rup, DWilson and 2 others like this.
  7. gallowsCalibrator

gallowsCalibrator Chieftain

There's always the potential for new Civilizations, of course, though I'm also particularly interested in the potential for old civs to be updated. GS set a new standard for design with civs like Mali, Inca, and Maori; seeing older (especially vanilla) civilizations being brought up to the same standard could be worth purchasing on its own!

Onto the issue of gameplay, though. I think the biggest thing VI is missing is a deeper system of politics and empire management- and long term decision making. If I had to choose one single big feature, it'd be more customizable governments. Policy cards and slots are a good system, but the frame around them could be improved too! Ideology is also an interesting system that can return in some form, too. International diplomacy and the WC, too, can stand to be more developed.

Health, plagues, and some form of migration could be a good mechanic as well, though I'm not specifically sure how to implement them. ;P

Cedbird77, Meluhhan and Tannhauser like this.
  8. Leucarum

Leucarum Chieftain

Honestly, Civ games evolve by degrees more than jumps. Until civ6 starts looking technically dated, I think the argument for replacing it will be a bit thin... There's a lot of design space still open, one look at the ideas on steam workshop should be proof of that...

Spin offs on the other hand... Who wouldn't want a proper update of alpha centauri or colonization...

acluewithout likes this.
  9. JacquesBquick

JacquesBquick Chieftain

I think with a (hopefully inevitable) balance patch for GS, the game is very complete in certain ways. I think there's enough moving parts throughout the eras to keep you invested and interested after your done with the exploration and expansion portion of the 4X. I know some folks of advanced skill still think its too easy, but I'm finding myself with very nice challenges at Immortal right now, and I feel like I'm making an interesting decision at least once per turn.

However I think the game still has too many uninteresting decisions (trade routes, spy missions, T3 buildings or lack of mutually exclusive buildings in general) that I'd like to see addressed or repurposed. I look at the way religion was enhanced in that vanilla balance patch, or the way strategic resources have been reimagined with GS, and I hope that level of critical eye comes to some of these other systems in a final expansion. At the very least making the system flexible enough so that modders can have more freedom (also i believe they still lack proper access to the games code for more fleshed out modding). I don't think a final expansion needs to be as big as GS was, but more on the level of RnF or even a bit less so for a lower price point like 20 or 30.

The last bit is we are still missing some critical civilizations that deserve formal firaxis representation due to their location, interest, or historical significance. Babylon, Byzantium, Portugal, Maya, Ethiopia to name a few. There are also still some good off the wall things they could do here like including a Holy Roman Empire that Frederick could lead and also include a new leader like Charlemagne. Highlighting a few more random smaller civs or those never represented before would be great. People talk a lot about wanting Gran Colombia or Vietnam. We could have the Cherokee or the Sioux. I know people don't always like modern day countries but perhaps we could have a South Africa or Ukraine or Argentina or who knows. I think they also need to do one last pass on old civilizations with a focus on unique gameplay options. GS has shown a growth in creativity in terms of approach to civ design and how they fundamentally play. Not every single one needs to change. there's benefits to having several 'basic' options. but yes there's opportunity for more.

Also, an alternate leader pack would literally be printing money for them. Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln, even MLK as a different approach for America. An ancient Egypt option. A more recent China option. Japan, Korea, Spain, Germany, Russia all have room for an additional leader. A few different Roman emperors. excuses about how much work they are easily dismissed, to me. Put in the work and they'd be making bank from 3-5 bucks per leader.

10. Weraptor

Weraptor Chieftain

No, we still need:
    1. integrated plague thingy from the scenario
    2. ideologies
    3. luxury monopolies (just like the GS change for strategics), maybe connected to corporations/economic victory
    4. diplo options like vassalage and personal union
    5. existing systems getting fleshed out
    6. expanded religious game

Myomoto and Eagle Pursuit like this.
  11. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

I have no idea how to just a game as "complete". All I know is how interesting they are to me right now, and how much enjoyment I get out of them in their current state. Certainly, across the franchise, Civ VI tops that for me. Has done since Rise & Fall, though honestly I didn't really touch CiV since VI's release. I have no interest in going further back, nomatter how good the games are.

Wizard-Bob likes this.
  12. Takfloyd

Takfloyd Chieftain

It doesn't need more big features, but it needs a massive AI overhaul and some missing units like Stealth Bombers, Trebuchets and Riflemen. They even have techs for those units, but without the actual unit. Some more Future Era units would be nice too.

Weraptor and Myomoto like this.
  13. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

It wouldn't need to be a full expansion pack - I'd be happy with additional civ/leader DLC to fill in missing civs and some major balance patches. But I'd not object to a full expansion, either. I see no need to go to Civ VII yet.

Uberfrog likes this.
  14. megabearsfan

megabearsfan Chieftain

First of all, I'd like to see some major revisions to the World Congress, and some A.I. and U.I. improvements would be welcome.

GS extended the game out further into the future, but I'd actually prefer to see the game extended further out into the past. Maybe 6000 BC? Have a whole era about a small group of nomads looking for a place to settle that first city. Alternatively, I'd like to see a game speed in which the first half of the game plays at epic pace, and the second half of the game plays at normal pace. Early half of the game is generally more fun and more interesting, and I hate that I always feel like I'm rushing through it.

Also, wouldn't mind seeing an expansion focused around colonization, with an actual resource market that determines the value of resources.

Other little things, we're still missing medieval naval units, a medieval Sword upgrade, medieval siege weapon, and other small gaps in the unit upgrade paths.

Cedbird77 and Tannhauser like this.
  15. Council 13

Council 13 Chieftain

The game doesn't need more features IMO, it needs a massive balancing pass along with bug fixes and significant AI improvement.

Zuizgond, RohirrimElf, oedali and 4 others like this.
  16. ZeroSuitSenpai

ZeroSuitSenpai Chieftain

Lol wow the poll results are unanimous so far with 27 votes.

Like others have said, I think it needs another expansion, but one that is focused on refining and perhaps slightly expanding upon existing features, rather than adding new ones.

Cedbird77 likes this.
  17. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Warlord

Honestly if we already had recurring Civs, like the Maya and Babylon, it probably wouldn't be so one-sided.

18. acluewithout

acluewithout Warlord

I dislike saying “complete”. I know it’s not meant that way, but it just sounds a bit entitled. Like FXS have some obligation to have x Civ or y Mechanic, which they don’t.

The game is in good shape post GS (but needs some patching for balance / gameplay). Civ VI feels satisfying to play, which it didn’t post RnF.

That said, yes, it would be good to have another expansion. It would be a pity to stop development now, just when the game is getting good. And there is certainly room for more development (a lot of mechanics from RnF still need fleshing out), although FXS will also need to review and better integrate some existing mechanics otherwise the game could feel bloated. And the game needs to stop being so easy.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    WillowBrook likes this.
  19. Kruos

Kruos Chieftain

It's quite obvious that the devs have not finished all they wanted to achieve with Civ6 yet (in particular the mechanism around bonus ressources looks not totally exploited yet). So IMO we will have a third expansion next year probably.

My hope is that they will continue fine tune the game during this time and also revamp the whole religion design through this final expansion.

WillowBrook and acluewithout like this.
  20. Infixo

Infixo Warlord

I am missing a 3rd option in the poll, like inbetween.
    In current state, It could be considered or feeling complete, but that doesn’t mean automatically that I want and need Civ7. I would gladly see XP3 that fleshes out the mechanics, adds more civs, improves AI and UI, and maybe still brings few surprises in terms of features.