Does the map generator take the difficulty level into account???

Shafi

King
I swear i have been getting better starting locations on Prince & now Monarch than what i used to get on Warlord & Noble .....

Is it supposed to be that way? sort of like to balance off the handicaps given to the AI? Or is it just coincidence?

I also have seen some amazing starting locations posted on these forums and used to never roll anything comparable but now suddenly i have been getting some brilliant starting locations.

Try regenerating the map, I am sure you will see the best and the worst of starts come out eventually.

Are you playing the same map types as before? I find some map generators more generous than others. Fractal, for example, is great for completely unpredictable maps but seems pretty unbalanced; some civs start with lush green pastures and gold while others get dumped in the desert to starve. Other map generators seem to distribute the goodies a little more evenly.

nope, i rotate between continents / fractal / big & small / hemispheres mostly.

Anyways i tried generating quite a few maps and started landing some crappy locations .... so i guess i was just on a lucky streak with the maps.

i am also thinking about this. as for me, it's the other way around, crappy locations become more frequent at higher difficulties (I only go through monarch to immortal)

i feel the same way as you ryzax...
also did the 3.19 change the map generation, I only recently installed 3.19 (don't ask) and even since it seems I get a much large number of total suck ass maps lots lots more iso or semi iso starts lots more maps with big deserts. I the interest of fairness I'd also have to say the shape of the continents and what not seem more interesting.

It could also just be placibo (sp?) b/c i've been trying to play on higher lvl's, but its my story and i'm sticking to it.

This usually tends to get "noticed" if you're not like me, who regenerates until I see a "dream start".

Though I have recently quit trying for Emperor, and now am regenerating away the dream starts and playing "OK starts" on Monarch. See how that improves anything...

I thought after it generates the starting positions, it assigns the best ones to the civs with the easiest handicap levels first.

I thought after it generates the starting positions, it assigns the best ones to the civs with the easiest handicap levels first.

I don't see that when I review the code.

For single player games, the ordering of location assignment is some-AI/human/remaining-AI, where the actual divide depends on the handicap of the human player. But that's just the ordering - the actual evaluation of locations includes at least one dice roll, which may be enough to ensure that the locations are not always assigned in order.

However, the code is a mess, in the sense that there are a lot of variations, so I'm not super confident I have it right.

I remember a monarch start, can;t remember the civilization, that had a beautiful capital. 7 bonus resources, plains hills, riverside grasslands, sea access with only a couple squares and seafood bonus.. a great start that opened into a narrow outlet, 1 square wide and two squares long and that opened into a football field of ice. a 10x25 ice landmass before the tundra started.. lol

swear i have been getting better starting locations on Prince & now Monarch than what i used to get on Warlord & Noble

as for me, it's the other way around, crappy locations become more frequent at higher difficulties

I haven't noticed any difference in my CIV experience.

The law of averages strikes again! Dun dun dahhhh!

Top Bottom