Does the Portugal AI ever build feitorias?

Maximo the Xth

Warlord
I just played a game where Maria wasn't able to place a feitoria even in city states directly next to her. I haven't seen Portugal in a lot of my games, so I don't want to draw conclusions, that's why I'm asking here.
It would be kind of sad, because that'd be the only unique ability that is totally wasted on the AI. Every other unit/building/improvement will be built eventually.

Maybe I should rephrase the question: Has anyone here ever seen a feitoria in a city state he hasn't built himself? ;)

I never seen one.

i don't even know what they look like because i don't play portugal and the AI has never built one, so i only know of them in concept

They're the things you can build by sending a Worker on a world tour, that requires pathfinding every turn, visiting City States you've somehow failed to Ally with despite having more money than Scrooge McDuck, right?

I have never seen the Portugal AI ever build a feitoria. They look like half size forts, so the graphic is distinctive enough.

When I play Portugal, I always go out of my way to build them, and then pretty much ignore those CS. Since they only provide a buff in the CS is not an ally! Hardly strong play!

I have a vague idea that warmongering with Portugal could be strong since the feitorias provide the luxes even when the CS is a war with you. But what would the map settings have to be to make that play stronger than just doing things normally?

Put Alex in the game...

Except that if you war, Alex will DoW you and peaceblock all his CS, so you won't be even able to enter the CS territory to build the improvement due to how late the tech is. This sort of approach only works for late game war and in that case it's much better to just ally all his CS before the DoW. I still think that feitoria are trash and CS are better allied.

Except that if you war, Alex will DoW you and peaceblock all his CS, so you won't be even able to enter the CS territory to build the improvement due to how late the tech is. This sort of approach only works for late game war and in that case it's much better to just ally all his CS before the DoW. I still think that feitoria are trash and CS are better allied.

Haha, I didn't remember that this stupid improvement comes at Navigation... Ideally you would build the Feitorias before Alex declares but, hey, you don't always do what you want...

Well, I think it should be the player declaring on Alex -- after you have the Feitorias online.

Yes, CS are better allied, but I still think there is some potential to get extra happy while warmongering.

I will repeat my CDG idea on this thread: What about a late DOW vs all the CS? Take over the one or two that are on sweet wonders. Use the others with the forced luxes as xp farms.

On a related note: The Civlopedia mentions that pillaging Feitorias is an act of war. I have never had my Feitorias pillaged. And since Portugal AI does not build them...

(Didn't want to start a new thread)
How's the Nau ability? How much gold and xp do you get? Anybody like to play Portugal?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

(Didn't want to start a new thread)
How's the Nau ability? How much gold and xp do you get? Anybody like to play Portugal

Good enough that it's worth fighting Portugal with Privateers and sending them to nearby CSs to cash in and then donate the unit. Not bad on a Continents or Terra map where you buy a Nau at each end of your empire, send them away, and get +1 movement from the destination without having to muck around with Barracks. Not good enough to incorporate into a military strategy; you want more XP on gunships and you want your boarders to have Prize Ships.

Portugal's specialty is making loads of money from trade routes, so try to get Colossus and/or Petra and buy CSs rather than sending a civilian unit on a world tour building Feitoria only to have it eaten by Barbarians.

I've never tried DoW on a CS with my Feitoria in it. If that does work, some nice X farming possibilities.

Sadly, this never occurred to me! Brilliant! Emphasis added:
I've never tried DoW on a CS with my Feitoria in it. If that does work, some nice X farming possibilities.
Build the Feitoria, 2+ hexes from CS city when you can, and fortify a melee unit there. DOW the CS, which uselessly trickles units on you. It is a fort after all, and gives a decent defensive bonus. Your melee just unit sits in place until March+Blitz or whatever you like.

I just worry that there would not be enough enough time to: (1) build the Feitorias (unlocked kind of late, and needs a crew of workers for this exploit); (2) start training up units on the CS, I figure this phase of the game needs at least 30+ turns to have an impact; and then (3) start your domination sweep, which of course needs to be wrapped up before someone launches.

Has anyone tried this?

It is a fort after all, and gives a decent defensive bonus. ...Has anyone tried this?

I'm pretty sure forts don't give def bonuses in enemy territory :(

Tangential question: suppose I build a Feitoria on a CS's land. The tile turns out to have Coal on it. Will the CS bulldoze the Feitoria to build a mine, or will the Feitoria connect the resource? If both answers are no, can I bulldoze my own Feitoria, can the CS be paid to replace it with a mine, and if the latter is so, is paying a CS to replace someone else's Feitoria an act of war?

Top Bottom