Does the "promise not to convert me" actually cause the AI to change their behavior at all?

iammaxhailme

Emperor
Seems like they just go on and do it anyway. Even if they promise not to. Even on the very next turn.

Well, holy wars it is...

Seems like they just go on and do it anyway. Even if they promise not to. Even on the very next turn.

Well, holy wars it is...

I've had that a happen a couple of times but if the AI is friendly with you they generally will stop unless they have an agenda like Zealous or something.

In my case they were green with me. Not sure what the hidden agenda was. It was mongolian kublai.

In my case they were green with me. Not sure what the hidden agenda was. It was mongolian kublai.

Yeah, it just happens sometimes. I've had allies tell they'd stop but then proceeded to keep at it but, again, they tend to stop more often than not. No idea if it's a bug or just bad programming though.

In my experience, it does nothing. They sometimes stop, but it's random, and if they violate it, it doesn't cause them any issues or give you a CB or anything.

Yeah, I used the war of retribution over this (too early for a proper holy war, sadly).

All I did was murder some missionaries then peace out, but sometimes you gotta do it.

Actually, I've noticed over the years that they DO tend to stop if they agree to it. However, they do not seem to have the ability to cancel the orders of missionaries/apostles they already have enroute to convert some place. I've noticed in many games that if I ask them to stop, and they agree, that any missionaries they already have heading to one of my cities will continue to go there. But then they won't send anymore after that. So it may seem confusing, like they'll convert a city or two after agreeing to stop, but then they won't, or in some cases they will seem to stop right away. That's only because those civs probably didn't have any units already enroute to you when they agreed. Additionally, if you found a new city (or capture one) that does not have your religion as its majority, then the AI may consider that "free real estate" and send missionaries to it regardless of any agreement with you. But at the same time they'll take care to avoid cities of yours that have your religion as majority.

I find that in most cases they refuse to promise diddly/slash squat, tell me it's for my own good, and keep the missionaries right on coming.

The only joy from this is when I have masses of religious points myself and can send an Apostle or two to convert their cities and kill their missionaries, and then when they demand that I stop converting them, tell them that it's really for their own good . . .

Well, holy wars it is...

It is artificial intelligence meant to simulate a player. It can lie just like a human player could. The AI simulates that with its agenda and modifies it based on diplomacy. If you have a zealous AI who's not all that friendly, it may indeed make a promise then go right on doing what its agenda calls for, trying to win a religious victory. In my experience, asking for favors very much depends. If I've got a massive military, they tend to be more compliant. If I'm an ally they tend to be more compliant. If their agenda values don't value it highly, they tend to be more compliant.

As noted, if they break the promise to do get grievances which you can use to justify some retaliatory hostilities. Is it annoying? Sure. Getting attacked in any form is annoying pressure you have to deal with. But what fun is a game if you never worry that you might lose?

My experience is that if you ask them not to convert your cities, they always refuse, but if you ask them to stop spying on you, they sometimes agree.

In R&F and GS it gives you both a Holy War and War of Retribution CB and grievances in GS.
I haven't seen it. Do I have to denounce them first? I know that sounds like a stupid question, but especially since many of them are "friendly" while ignoring my request to which they agreed, the diplomacy is a bit weird.

I haven't seen it. Do I have to denounce them first? I know that sounds like a stupid question, but especially since many of them are "friendly" while ignoring my request to which they agreed, the diplomacy is a bit weird.

Yes, any war that isn't a surprise war requires you to denounce the target first. You can't denounce a friend or ally though and have to wait for that to lapse before you can denounce them.

Every now and again they agree to stop converting and make good on that promise but more often than not they refuse. Or they agree and the units they already sent before asking them to stop will continue trying to convert, but sometimes they stop immediately after promising to stop converting. I'm always surprised when they do actually keep that promise!

Top Bottom