1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Does the single cheat

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - Religion and Revolution' started by Mehahe, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Mehahe

Mehahe Chieftain

do the colonies cheat because on normal difficulty (conquistador) they have like 8 fully developed colonies with land cultivated and the bloody natives tolerating them perfectly but my two colonies border expand and they barely developed at all and the natives decide they bloody hate me and war me and the colonies decide I'm weaker than them and also demand tribute in addition to king and pope :/

2. Randomsheep

Randomsheep Warlord

Wow that is quite a rant.

They still cheat in a few areas but there is an ongoing effort by the modders in charge to improve the AI to eliminate unfairness.

Normally the AI civilizations can be beaten with ease since they lack 'human' intelligence. There is no way they should be that far ahead of you.

If anything it is showing progress is being made. Are you playing 2.7?

3. Mehahe

Mehahe Chieftain

Yeah playing latest version I could download but i did find it a bit crazy that the ai land grabs so much and the natives (almost always) never care about the other colonies land grabbing

4. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Warlord Supporter

Some of the leaders do give advantages in development or in peaceful coexistence that others lack
    https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/whos-your-favorite-leader.538760/

If the results in your game are AI cheating, random luck or bad management of your colonies on your part could only be judged if you give more infos who you play and who is so far ahead of you. Perhaps upload a savegame or screenshot.

5. Marla_Singer

Marla_Singer United in diversity

I haven't yet played the last version of RAR so I cannot judge yet how the AI evolved.

From my past games on older versions, I remember though that it's only at the earliest stage of the game that the AI expand at a fast pace. Later on, I've always very largely outgrown the AI without very much of an effort.

6. Labrat19

Labrat19 Chieftain

I have similar thoughts as the OP. It does appear to me that the AI expands even more aggressively in 2.7 than in 2.6. (I can't compare to earlier). And yes it cheats. I prefer a slower paced expansion game (I get a little more immersion that way) so I played on the lower levels but now even on the easiest level some of the AI nations are using exploits that we can't use. For example, it seems they get free african slaves early and often and they can actually settle NEW towns with african slaves. We human players cannot do this. I have verified this many times. I think the patches are designed more for the experts who prefer to expand quickly, and they get rightly bored if the AI expands slower than they do. I don't really enjoy a desperate land grab early on. So it's just a matter of style and probably experience. I'm trying to find ways to tweak the files to make it play more to my style.

If someone could tell me where to find the file to change it so the AI can't settle any more with african slaves, I would be quite happy.

Still RaR is very enjoyable overall, so I'm not criticizing the whole mod. Please don't take it as criticism. I would just like a few options to play rather than the "rush" style.

7. scottfreitas

scottfreitas Chieftain

I have what could--should--be an easy fix for you, involving changing just a single character in one XML file.

Try this.

Go to your Civilization 4 MODS file. This is where the Religion and Revolution 2.7 file must be located.

First, open the R & R Folder.

Next, open the "Assets" folder.

Next, open the "XML" folder.

Next, open the "Units" folder.

Ok. Finally we're headed for the lone File you now need to open---

With Civ4UnitInfos open (using "Open With" option and selecting Notepad, which you surely have because it's included with Windows) , quickest way to do the change you need is
    to enter unit_african in the Find menu (meaning unit underline african).

The Find command will bring up UNIT_AFRICAN_SLAVE. There's your target. Scroll downward looking for <bFound>1</bFound>.

That <bFound>1</bFound> text is what tells the game that African Slaves can Found cities. It is set to 1, which means "True" or "Yes."

Change that "1" to a zero, "0". Zero tells the game, NO--slaves cannot Found cities.

Hit SAVE. You've changed just one single Byte of code in a game consisting of billions of bytes of code. No big deal, you're not cheating! :p

POSTSCRIPT: since the <bFound>1</bFound> command all by itself means both AI and Human players should be able to use Slaves to establish colonies,
    there must be additional changes made by the modders elsewhere to prohibit human players from doing so.

HOWEVER: whatever changes they made are probably dependent on the <bFound>1</bFound> command on UNIT_AFRICAN_SLAVE. being set to "1".

Changing that command to zero should shut off the dependency added by the modders, making it impossible for the AI to use Slaves to found cities.

SHOULD make it impossible.

Try it. If it doesn't work, we'll need Schmiddie or Devolution or some other 2.7 Modder to explain to us how it is that AI players can use Slaves to Found cities, but human players can't.

Good luck! I'm betting the above change will work, myself...

8. devolution

devolution Warlord

Unfortunately, setting bFound to 0 will disallow the unit from both founding a city and joining an existing one :(

We (the modders) have talked about introducing a separete flag (bJoin) to differentiate units better since it improves the moddability and avoids "hard-coding" this rule. Regular colonists would then be allowed to both found and join, while slaves and petty criminals will only be allowed to join a pre-existing city.

I agree that letting the AI found cities with slaves and\or allowing them to be scouts breaks immersion since this lets the AI play with a different (and relaxed) rule set.
    Will see if I can find the time to correct this...

By the way, it's interesting that this issue pops up now since the AI has been getting away with this ever since slaves were introduced. I suppose that the improved economic AI has exposed this blatant cheat and it's about time that we eliminate it!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  9. scottfreitas

scottfreitas Chieftain

Ouch! Glad you clarified that. I did not know the bFound command was connected with units JOINING a city, as well as founding one.

Your offered solution sounds perfect. Add a separate bJoin flag to slaves, converts, and criminals. Not just to keep them from settling cities, but as you mentioned, from being used as Scouts or any other Profession disallowed to human players.

Can't thank you enough for all the work you've put into 2.7! The R & R mod turns the failed Civ 4: Colonization expansion into a SUPERIOR version of Colonization-- better than we saw even back in 1994!

The only thing the original 1994 Colonization had that is still missing is the complicated "Alarm" system, wherein native villages were labeled with colored exclamation points that changed colors over time as their mood worsened (also additional exclamation points were added, up to I think 6 max, depending on how close villages were to your military units etc).

However, Firaxis did not code the "Alarm" system into their remake, and I can't think how anyoine could add one in today. There's nothing to build one on, no framework to even get a person started...

10. Labrat19

Labrat19 Chieftain

Thanks for your responses devolution and scott. Yes that would be great if modders could add a separate 'bjoin' flag. But I know you all are busy.

Scott, As for the 'alarm' system for individual villages like the original col, would that even be relevant here in this version? The decision to attack, etc is based on the ENTIRE tribes mood not just a village, right?. It's kind of obvious which villages are being encroached on by the cultural borders. I find it sufficient for my purposes to hover my cursor over the tribes leader in the diplo info panel to the right. It gives plenty of detail on the pluses and minuses of why they are happy or pissed. Also the different colour of faces in the diplo panel gives a quick glance indication.

Also, I know this is trivial but when playing Denmark the voices are not technically speaking Danish. It sounds like some old Norwegian. I think I've heard it before.....hmm....Is this a direct import from the Viking sounds in civ4? But, good job on changing the Danish anthem.

11. Randomsheep

Randomsheep Warlord

I don't see rapid AI expansion as a problem since it is a good strategy to do that.

On larger maps there is plenty of room to settle in areas between native settlements and not under their influence.

Since there is no (civ v style) penalty for the number of settlements owned, it makes sense to land grab as quickly as possible even if you have no plans of immediate development or any hope of defending.

If you remain at peace, it stops the AI claiming that land at very little cost.

12. rah

rah Deity Supporter

Does the AI (in general since I know it's partially civ dependent) pay less when placing cities near tribes, or do they just ignore the cost and piss them off. Early on I don't have the money to place cities so close to tribes, but see the AI plops down adjacent to tribal cities. On larger maps it's easier since you can space them out and not have to pay, but on smaller maps it's harder.