1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Does the UN screw you up alot?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by itsunder9000, Mar 5, 2012.

1. itsunder9000

itsunder9000 Chieftain

The UN is keeps screwing me up, I'm playing an epic game as Shaka on a huge map, and have been war for most of the game, now despite my large share of the population and keep getting smacked with problem after problem, first i was forced to make peace with Pericles who shortly thereafter he became a vassal of Saladin, (who was second strongest after me, and protective to boot) then they tried to get me to adopt Environmentalism (from State Property) then Universal Suffrage (from Police State) i defied both and now am still feeling the unhappiness, anyone else had these experiences?

2. Ghpstage

Ghpstage Chieftain

Defiance can be survived for quite a while by using the culture slider with broadcast towers, theatres and colliseums, but eventually it can become crippling.
    The best solutions are to either become the UN leader or to just raze the damned thing, which is best done on the first turn of a war if possible but if not start the war right after a vote.

3. s.bernbaum

s.bernbaum Mostly lurking

Usually not an issue for me. Either I build it or I'm the biggest and get nominated. Since I mostly do my best to have good diplo with several other big civs, I usually get elected SecGen. After that, I only pick motions to vote on that I want passed! Rarely, an AI who is SecGen gets something passed that I don't like but mostly not. It helps to have enough votes to defeat motions, when you are not SecGen. Also, most commonly, if I make no effort to be SecGen, it is because I am already running all the things that they might pass and I don't care if they do!

On the rare occasions when I have defied, I just turn up the culture slider and let the theaters and coloseums generate happiness to counteract it.

4. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

It's pretty annoying if they get it built and everyone votes for you. I'd single out the weakest and closest power that is voting against you and quickly take them out or at least capture some votes, preferably after they hold a resolution so it takes a while for another vote to come out.

Best option is to raze the UN but that may be hard if it's not coastal.

So either butter up people who are voting against you, or start capturing/razing them. They're voting for you one way or another.

5. Choggy

Choggy Chieftain

If Saladin wants Environmentalism or Universal Suffrage then it sounds like he's got happy concerns of his own, maybe you can use that to your advantage.

Can you bribe some civs to stop trading with Saladin and then trade them for the happy resources they were trading with him? Maybe go HR with lots of troops in your largest cities if the commerce from the now happy citizens can handle the maintenance costs and build up some rep with civs that have HR as their favourite civic?

6. itsunder9000

itsunder9000 Chieftain

I don't have a lot of friends because I have been at war with 5 civs and knocked out 4, the YDWOOF is making me less than popular, and because the game started out with 14 civs i have about a third of the vote which while a lot is far from enough. And the idea of razing the UN is going to be difficult because its in the middle of an other continent. I do have a question though if you have Police State, a jail and Mt. Rushmore but your fighting against a civ with the SoZ does the war weariness stay at 0 or does in return to normal?

7. Choggy

Choggy Chieftain

SoZ isn't in the same city as the UN by any chance is it?

8. rah

rah Chieftain

Another broken feature that is best turned off.

9. AutomatedTeller

AutomatedTeller Frequent poster

I believe that your war weariness with Police state, rushmore and jails is 0, whether the SoZ is involved or not.

I don't know that for 100% certain, but my understanding is the war weariness is a counter, and SoZ basically doubles the value of things being added to it for that Civ. the reducers reduce the effect by the given percent. Thus, if you did switch out of police state, you'd get hit by weariness.

You should be able to look at your unhappiness, though, and see how much of it is from "war! what is it good for?" (or whatever that is) - I'd guess none of it.

10. itsunder9000

itsunder9000 Chieftain

No the SoZ is controlled by Saladin who is master of Pericles, the only people left on my continent, while the UN is controlled by Boudica who is third in score and also SG. the reason i ask is because Saladin is very populous and if i take his votes i might be able to make the UN election a draw, as Stalin isn't voting for anyone

11. Ghpstage

Ghpstage Chieftain

If you haven't let the UN ban them already then cap him with nukes, with decent planning the war should only take a turn or two.

12. Choggy

Choggy Chieftain

You need to DoW Saladin regardless of whether or not he has SoZ and a vassal. Forget about trying to be nice to him, as number 1 civ he's not going to help you if he's a large number 2 AI civ. As the previous poster said, nukes are the best option as the UN is based on city pop, failing that launch a quick naval warfare against his high pop coastal cities or just hit him with everything you got until he becomes irrelevant. Whatever it takes, you need to break out of this AI triangle diplo.

Since you have lots of unhappy you may as well whip for Military out as your pop isn't able to control UN votes, although with a lack of a savegame uploaded this is all conjecture...

13. TLF

TLF Chieftain

How can it be turned off?

14. rah

rah Chieftain

Just turn off the diplomatic VC. No AP and no UN.

15. tdy99

tdy99 Chieftain

I had one game where every single civic option was disabled because they had all been taken over by a UN resolution.

16. SamSniped

SamSniped C O M R A D E W A V E

solutions to the UN-
    1. deal with it
    or
    2.Nuke the city it's in, paradrop in, raze.
    or
    3.become the SecGeneral
    or
    4.in the Civ4BuildingsInfo.xml, change the hammers needed to build it to -1.
    or
    5.Turn off diplo victory

these all work :D

17. uat2d

uat2d ಠ_ಠ

This.

Besides, Diplomatic victory is pretty crappy anyways, even without the UN screwing up everyone.

18. God-Emperor

God-Emperor Chieftain

No, it does not.

It is rarely of any real significance other than nukes being banned (which I usually vote for, but either way it is at least somewhat significant). Every once in a while it forces a civic change that I don't really want, but that is a minor thing - it never cripples me. It almost never results in someone else being voted the winner (something like twice in all the myriad of games I've played).

The AP is a little more of a nuisance, but not much. Occasional forced peace when I don't want it. Occasionally being forced to stop trading with someone I'm getting useful resources from as well as commerce. Even less frequently being forced into a war. And on a few occasions (about twice as many as for the UN) having someone else voted the winner. Rarely a serious problem, just occasionally a nuisance, and also occasionally useful: on several occasions I have used it to force the end to a war where a civ was about to stomp all over me, sometimes before their more than huge enough stack even arrived at the first city they would have taken. I have also used it to win directly a few times. So it is usually of little significance, sometimes a nuisance, and sometimes useful.

19. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

You can always build the UN yourself (Surely you can generate a GE by that time) or give MM to someone else , especially someone small and unlikable if you are the pop leader.

Yes I know MM obsoletes the AP, but if you were relying on the AP, that's a fair concession to make you cheesy bastard. ;)

And I love the UN. Trolling other people is cool, especially when they defy like 3 times.

20. capnvonbaron

capnvonbaron Democratia gladii

LoL it is kinda fun screwing AI by repeatedly starting resolutions into civics you know they'll defy... Justinian and Izzy are two that come to mind (typically defy free religion ) :)