1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Does this have the novelty I was hoping for in Civ BE?

Discussion in 'Starships' started by Sal, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Sal

Sal Chieftain

I have the impression this game might be significantly different from an ordinary Civ game, in a way that BE was, in the end, not.

Some questions to those who have played:

Does it feel like it could have been a mod?

Does it have any fundamentally different mechanics?

Do affinities actually affect your gameplay style?

Any thoughts at all much appreciated. After BE I no longer have an "instantly buy any Civ game or DLC on offer" policy.

2. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

No.

Yes.

Not really.

For me it plays kind of like Ace Patrol, but without the altitude and always forward motion and with more complex strategic layer. I've heard others compare it to XCOM but with ships.

3. NASAROG

NASAROG Chieftain

This game is a re-skinned ace patrol mixed with elements of XCOM and a hint of Civ:BE.

I bought it for $5 bucks I think for my iPAD and it's a great game for that. With everything that a pc can do, this game will feel threadbare at best.

But you mileage may vary and to each their own.

4. Tripas

Tripas Chieftain

Answering your questions in order to.

1) Unlike Civ BE, no, it doesn't feel like a mod of a previous game. It plays quite a bit like Ace Patrol, but there's quite a few extra things that involve more than just the paint job that CiV got to become BE.

2) Compared to BE, oh yes. It's not really a Civ game, the planets are there to give you missions when they're neutral and resources (energy, production, research, food) when they join your "empire", but the focus is on making sure that your fleet is strong enough to win battles to either conquer new planets or defend what you already own.

3) Just a little bit. Supremacy gives you a free wonder at the start (meaning, a free passive ability), Purity doubles the rewards from missions and Harmony halves the cost of ship repairs. Still, there's more impact of your affinity in this game than there was in Beyond Earth. And isn't that a sad state of affairs?

4) For about $5 like NASAROG mentioned, it's not a bad use of your money, but for about $15... well, it might not be worth it.