1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Dog Soldier, Phalanx or Vulture?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by reddishrecue, Dec 21, 2011.

?

Dog Soldier, Phalanx or Vulture?

  1. Dog Soldier

    20 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. Phalanx

    11 vote(s)
    15.7%
  3. Vulture

    38 vote(s)
    54.3%
  4. Other

    1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  1. azzaman333

    azzaman333 meh

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2005
    Messages:
    22,877
    Location:
    Melbourne, AUS Reputation:131^(9/2)
    Dogs really shine in certain situations, but generally the Vulture is superior.
     
  2. Skallagrimson

    Skallagrimson Chieftain

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2006
    Messages:
    2,043
    Dogs are good in large maps in the early game for those situations when you have no copper. I wouldn't try to throw them into a rush against archer cities though. For that I'd want the Vultures.
     
  3. danjuno

    danjuno Keeper of Ancient Memes

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2010
    Messages:
    1,935
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Meme City
    Why no love love for the Phalanx?
     
  4. lymond

    lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2008
    Messages:
    20,525
    Phalanx bonus can simply be accomplished by bringing along a Spear or too. Now if the bonus included attack, he might be considered a bit better. Otherwise, it just seems a straight up axe to me.
     
  5. Archon_Wing

    Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2005
    Messages:
    4,474
    Gender:
    Male
    The phalanx is too specialized. It is only of use if your enemy builds chariots.

    If Greece had not started with hunting (and something else useful instead), then it might have been better since we wouldn't have to drop beakers in hunting. So right now, we save on a spear or two...
     
  6. oranje willem

    oranje willem Chieftain

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2009
    Messages:
    323
    Dog Soldier > Vulture > Phalanx
    Dog Soldier, guaranteed anti-barb unit @ bronze working, guaranteed catapult mop up unit (archers get picked apart by swordsman/axeman) axeman rush is no longer an option though (at higher levels)
    Vulture is only really good if you wish to axe rush, but then you still need copper near your capitol (and a viable rush target nearby).
    Phalanx requires copper which means you can build spearman to defend against potential chariots, its a minor upgrade to the normal axeman which doesn't make it bad, but it has little extra value.
     
  7. Woreczko

    Woreczko Chieftain

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2007
    Messages:
    40
    IMHO Phalanxes are not bad with Alexander. He can get combat 1 + shock Phalanxes out of a barracks and there is nothing his non-aggresive, non-Sitting Bull, non Egyptian neighbours can do about them.

    I would say, that Dog Soldiers are situationally bad (early rush), otherwise great.
    Alex`s Phalanxes most of the time ensure field superiority, Pericles`s are only situationally good.

    Vultures are situationally great (early rush for city), otherwise meh (they die to regular axes and chariots in the open).
     
  8. Ataxerxes

    Ataxerxes Chieftain

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2009
    Messages:
    3,073
    I like Phalanxes as well. They don't really have a counter when they're built. Definitely better for Alex.

    Vultures are slightly behind axes and chariots in the open but they can survive Chariots if they're on good terrain better than Axes.

    Dogs would be better with some other leader than Sitting Bull. They're probably even better with unrestricted leaders.
     
  9. MarigoldRan

    MarigoldRan WARLORD

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2011
    Messages:
    2,279
    Frederick of the Native Americans would be nice. Or Churchill, though for different reasons.
     
  10. Rusty Edge

    Rusty Edge Chieftain

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2007
    Messages:
    2,895
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Cheeseland
    Dog Soldier, because if I have them, it means I won't have Sitting Bull asking me for techs each turn.
     
  11. rugbyLEAGUEfan

    rugbyLEAGUEfan Chieftain

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2010
    Messages:
    5,290
    Location:
    sydney australia
    Vultures also have a handy side use being their ability to easily grab barb cities . It's not a massive benefit , but being creative and having Zigs you can easily grab a few very cheaply with a little force of 4 or 5 CR Vultures and make the cities functional quickly.
     
  12. Orion Pax

    Orion Pax Chieftain

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2019
    Messages:
    60
    Necroing. :satan: SryNotSry.

    True enough. Though skipping spearman means more Phalanxes, which are better for everything else. Streamlining like that is most felt in early game when hammers/units are scarce and stacks aren’t as diverse. In medieval times, it’s nothing to add a pike or two. In ancient times, having a stack of 6 axes instead of 5 + 1 spear can really make a difference vs. an invading force. You don’t have to guess what to build. So it seems efficient for defense, which I like.

    But yeah it’s just so annoying Greeks start with hunting though.. AND the bonus really should apply against horse archers too, IMO. That’d be more historically accurate certainly, and it’d make the unit more competitive.

    For Vultures, as I’ve seen others say, seems like the way to cover their odd weakness to axes is to play Sumeria with an AGG or CHA leader and give them Shock.
     
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  13. AcaMetis

    AcaMetis Chieftain

    Joined:
    May 21, 2018
    Messages:
    404
    Gender:
    Male
    Quick check: A Chariot gets ~25% odds to kill a Phalanx, and a Phalanx gets ~75% odds to kill a Chariot, assuming they're equal in terms of health/promos. A Spear gets >99% odds to kill a Chariot, and <1% chance to get killed by a Chariot under the same conditions. Honestly, I'd take along a Spear if I could. Phalanxes just don't perform convincingly enough against Chariots for my tastes, let stand Horse Archers, and if you start with Hunting anyway might as well use it to build a Spear.
     
  14. lymond

    lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2008
    Messages:
    20,525
    Yep, Chariots can and will still kill Phalanx. Not that it would have been great either, but they probably should have left it as a spear type unit from older versions. I think it had 5 strength..not sure if any other bonus outside the normal mounted, but shock promo would be nice.
     
  15. Orion Pax

    Orion Pax Chieftain

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2019
    Messages:
    60
    Yeah definitely bring a spear or two if you’re invading, since you want your Axes preserved for offense, regardless of win odds. And the certainty. But in defending an early DoW, a drop in % from 99 to 75 could be seen as a reasonable or favorable tradeoff for a unit in Spearman which has a far lower % against Axes, and somewhat lower % against archers & Swords due to weaker base strength.

    Again, I’m thinking of small stacks early on. I’ve found every unit must count. And especially when the AI send multiple parties. For example, you may have enough for their early SoD, but then say a Melee/Chariot combo comes from another area (common): I’d much rather have 2 Phalanxes than 1 Axe & 1 Spear because when you attack the defenders get priority, and your Spear will lose to their Melee. Otherwise you’re hoping to bait them* before they pillage you, or get to a thinly-protected city.

    *baiting being less doable on K-Mod
     
  16. AcaMetis

    AcaMetis Chieftain

    Joined:
    May 21, 2018
    Messages:
    404
    Gender:
    Male
    Vanilla Phalanxes were 5:strength: Spears that got +25% hill defence in addition to the usual +100% versus mounted. Much better than a unit that gets borderline obsoleted by one of your starting techs, IMO.
     
    Quoth the Raven and sampsa like this.
  17. Orion Pax

    Orion Pax Chieftain

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2019
    Messages:
    60
    Oh totally.

    We were comparing Phalanxes to Spears though.
     
  18. Fippy

    Fippy Micro Junkie Queen

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2013
    Messages:
    10,502
    Gender:
    Female
    Not a great UU, but it's nice if you can send reinforcements or kill stray units (on an Axe rush) without always worrying about spear protection against chariots.
    On hills or forests they are not really attackable for chariots, while regular Axes would still be at danger, so you can send some out without worries.
    Which can help on deity, stacks only protected by Spears is an optimal situation and not always going that smooth ;)
     
    Orion Pax likes this.
  19. Hamilton321

    Hamilton321 Chieftain

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2016
    Messages:
    187
    Vultures are my brother's favorite UU by far. I personally do not like axe unique units because if you cannot find the copper you need close to you then you will never unlock the full potential of the unit and Iron Working is pretty expensive. The resources you need for later unique units you can take by force in time to use the full potential of the unit. Also I like UU that can be drafted, so Japan, Vikings, England, France, Ethiopia and the most beloved Ottomans.
     
    Orion Pax likes this.
  20. Imp. Knoedel

    Imp. Knoedel Knoedel Imperator Satani Filius Augustus Nooborum

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2011
    Messages:
    8,529
    Location:
    Land der Mörder, Land der Hetzer
    How would it be more accurate? Horse Archers don't attack a spear formation head on, they shoot and harass them, being able to retreat if the enemy draws too close.
     

Share This Page